Fenix L2P battery rattle

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I just got an L2P and noticed that the batteries rattle badly. Just carrying it while walking causes a constant rattle. I tried stretching out the spring but it didn't help. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal?

Maybe I was just expecting too much after all of the hype, but I found that:
- Spring looks/feels cheap like some of the cheapo Chinese lights I've bought.
- Clickie feels suspect. Hopefully it will hold up.
- The beam was quite purplish. Lux lottery I guess.
- The head looked loose so I took it off--and the o-ring was broken. I replaced it with one of the extras it came with, but I don't like the fact that it was split already. And it appeared to be lubed, so I dunno what the problem was.
- There is a sizeable (~ 1/8" gap) between the head and the body. It looks like it needs to be tightened down further, but it is as tight as it will go.

It seems to be a decent light for the money, but doesn't appear to have the build quality of--say--an Inova.

Monolith

Enlightened
mrdctaylor said:
I just got an L2P and noticed that the batteries rattle badly. Just carrying it while walking causes a constant rattle. I tried stretching out the spring but it didn't help. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal?
Just roll a piece of paper around the batteries.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
So it is normal? If it was for me, I'd just do that. However, I'm giving it as a gift to my dad...and it is kinda cheesy to say "yeh, it rattled really badly so just roll some paper around the batteries" ya know?

NickelPlate

Enlightened
I just wrap a piece of scotch tape around the batteries where they make contact with each other in the middle and it's fine, but a tighter fitting battery tube would have been nice though.

Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon from all the other problems you are describing. I have no quality issues with mine. Perhaps you should return it for a replacement.

Regards,

Dave

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I just checked mine, and I do get some battery rattle when I shake it side to side, but no rattle shaking it up and down as you would get in a walking motion in the sheath.

There is a slight gap between the head and the body, but nowhere near 1/8 of an inch, maybe just a hair over a 16th. It is smaller than the ring grooves on the head.

If the tail cap doesn't feel right and the beam is purple, it sounds to me like you have a good case to return it to the vendor for exchange. The L2P LED is supposed to be R binned and should give you a whiter light.

As for the tail spring.....it sure ain't no Minimag tail spring is it LOL.

Last edited:

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Bozzlite said:
I just checked mine, and I do get some battery rattle when I shake it side to side, but no rattle shaking it up and down as you would get in a walking motion in the sheath.

Hmmm...I walk forward, side-to-side, and sometimes backward...even up and down if there's a ladder or flight of stairs available... ;) I, too, have noticed a bit of rattle with my L2P.

I don't consider it much of a hardship to put a piece of electrical tape on the batteries.

If it worries you about it being a gift, then maybe gift him a couple of NiMH's with small pieces of electrical tape on them along with a recharger, and he's good to go!!!

-John

Bozzlite

Enlightened
John, glad to see that you have graduated from the "School of Funny Walks". I'll be taking the final exam at the end of the semester. <grin>

blastjv

Newly Enlightened
Seriously, though, I didn't notice it when I was carrying in on my belt, but rather when I slipped it into the front pocket of my fleece jacket and it was laying horizontally in the bottom of the pocket. Not a big deal, to me.

-John

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
When using nimh rechargables, no rattle, when using alkalines, slight rattle, slightly increased inner diameter I guess to accomodate both types of batteries. As for the gap at the head, it would appear to be purely cosmetic rather than a manufacturing problem as it appears on the LP1 as well. I have absolutely no issues with my Fenix flashlights, they are as good as or better in quality than several of my other flashlights. The spring looks fine to me, I'm not sure just what you mean by cheap, it feels firm and secure. Clicky switch no issues, beam quality, slight greenish tint, noticable only if I shine it at a white wall. When using it as a normal flashlight, I.E. illuminating "things" I don't notice the tint. Of course if your beam is purple even when illuminating your path at night or the interior of a computer, then you may have a cause for a return. George

gbaker

Newly Enlightened
sanseiryu said:
When using nimh rechargables, no rattle, when using alkalines, slight rattle, slightly increased inner diameter I guess to accomodate both types of batteries. George

I'm using MAHA rechargables and get a slight rattle. I only notice it when I lay it down. FWIW my SL 4AA Lux with four AA's also rattle. I thought it was just a AA thing. I gues I'll try the tape trick.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cut some paper and put it inside my Streamlight Jr Lux to stop battery rattle. It never falls out when I do battery changes and got rid of ALL of the rattle. It only goes like 1/2 around the inside tube. it doesn't get in the way of putting new batteries in.

So it's possible to put paper in there without it getting in the way.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I find a little rattle but not that much, and it might be because i'm using NiMH rechargeables. I find that they are ever so slightly fatter than alkalines, and this may be it? i dunno... I also have a slight gap between the head & body when screwed in completely if that puts your mind at ease a bit (pic), but considering the other problems you've had, maybe you should consider an exchange. i've won the lux lottery in both my L1P & L2P both having bright white beams, while my L1 with a r-bin LED that was supposed to be the same ones that go into the premium models did have a bit of a slight purple halo around the hotspot.

AA cell spec gives a maximum and a minimum value for diameter. Maybe the light is bored out with the maximum allowable size in mind, so cells in the upper limit of the allowable size can go in.

jeepinpaul

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
AA cell spec gives a maximum and a minimum value for diameter. Maybe the light is bored out with the maximum allowable size in mind, so cells in the upper limit of the allowable size can go in.

You are correct, they need to manufacture the flashlight to allow for variations in cell sizes from different manufacturers. You would not want to get the Fenix and not be able to fit a set of batteries in it!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just use a Post-it cut down appropriately to take up the slack, sticky side out? Should stay in place until you have reason to remove it-