Aluminium Foil, what have you used it for ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazingly versatile, I've just used it as a homemade reflector behind the 4in1 led MES array I've substituted my 4.8v MES incandescent bulb for.

99p torch / desk lamp, down from £9.99 JML in Woolies.

Still a "Ratner" lamp, but hey, for 99p...

Also wired 30kΩ across the switch, glows just enough to leave it in loft for 5 years, 0.1ma.

Aluminium foil, also great reflector of heat...

So what's your unique use ?

(Apart from cooking chickens that is, etc)

Use related to this forum, obviously, or even totally off beam..

Last edited:

NFW

Newly Enlightened
I use a tinfoil hat to minimize the effects of government mind-control rays.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Extension on them "rabbit ears" for the so-called improved TV reception— :huh:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I've used it in a Flashlight Related fashion, it has almost always been to get electricity from batterys.

IE: A wad in the tailcap, or a rolled piece in the bottom of a PT40 to use rechargables.

That's pretty much it for me.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it while providing emergency communication. Foil place under an antenna requiring a ground plane worked well (radials 1/4 wave). The cheapest radial system I've ever made. Worked great.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
NFW said:
I use a tinfoil hat to minimize the effects of government mind-control rays.
It's nice to know that the government's little ploy to enhance mind control has been effective...
MIT reports that "certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified.

carrot

Flashaholic
Makes a great hat.

When I warm up pizza, I wrap the slices in aluminum foil and throw them into the toaster oven.

And of course, with aluminum foil and duct tape, you can make almost anything!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before Cingular improved their network in my area, I used to have very poor reception inside my house (1 bar). Consequently, I'd lose calls almost every time. I discovered that laying my phone flat on a piece of tin foil (with the phone out of the case), the reception improved dramatically. I literally saw the reception bars rise and fall by 3 or 4 bars with the placing on and removal from the tin foil. After that, I never lost any calls inside my room at night. I had to use a headset or the speakerphone function, though (not a problem). Eventually, I just kept a die-cast plate next to my bed which would be my cell booster plate. I found it works with any non-ferrous metal (brass, copper, aluminum) as long as it's flat. I get good service now, though, so I don't do that anymore.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Posted this here before. It's my son and I after watching "Signs".

Geoff

Nerds.jpg

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:

Geoff

Nerds.jpg

Your son looks a lot older than you do, perhaps it was too late to prevent the premature ageing with the foil hats !!

spock

Enlightened
used for two things. took apart my tail lights on an older work car. use crinkled foil to make a reflector. cut a small hole for the bulb base and push the foil in the old reflector, shiny side out. the light is scattered by the foil making the tail lights brighter and more intense. if they get dirty, easy to replace. works also on front turn signal lights. newer cars may not have tail lights that can come apart. when we travel, we use a cb radio and a magnetic antenna. i take a small piece of foil and lay on the car. then i stick my magnetic antenna on top of it and fold the foil up around the base. don't let the foil touch the metal "shaft" of the antenna. this keeps scratches off my paint. antenna works fine.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made little ion rockets out of tin foil

I have a large neon sign transformer(actually I have several)

I also have a few large glass encased high voltage rectifiers and a couple home made glass plate capacitors.

last time I(was this stupid)did this I was 20 first time I was 15.

so I strung a thin wire across the room and connected my 40,000+ volt at .045 amp 1800 watt or so dc power supply to it.(my little 10kv 10 ma transformer works just fine for ion rockets - but it is not as kool looking)

the little ion rockets cut from tinfoil would slide along the wire at a pretty good clip.

I got bit of this setup once - shocked me pretty good.

I was putting a rocket on the wire and I told my sister not to plug it in - she was done hanging hers - she said ok and plugged it in.

why my mom let me have such things at 15 - I will never know.

for many years I had chicken wire stapled to my bedroom window and door - I used the door knob as the hv feed thru to the chicken wire - you could hear the hum from the chicken wire upstairs in the kitchen - I never told my mom or sister how I turned it on and off.

no one got hurt and the house did not burn down amazing.

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
I used to put a ball of tinfoil between the barrel and handguard of my HK G3 to prevent rattling. Some used cleaningpatches, but they could start to burn after some serious shooting.
Actually I won't recommend tinfoil either, as I discovered that my barrel got nice and shiny where it was in contact...

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:

Geoff

Nerds.jpg

abvidledUK said:
Your son looks a lot older than you do, perhaps it was too late to prevent the premature ageing with the foil hats !!

Yes, but if his son were to shave off his mustache, he will look much younger.

dcarch :nana:

Greta

Flashaholic
I haven't tried this yet... but it is on my list of experiments with lifting fingerprints. I've heard that you can lift a print from a smooth surface... preferably like glass... with aluminum foil. Then you superglue the foil and it locks in the print. From there, supposedly, you can actually use that print on the foil to "plant" the print anywhere you want. There is more to it, of course... but that's the basics. I've been meaning to try this... but haven't had the time... and I need more superglue for my tank... ran out last time I got to playing around with lifting prints.... :D