i hesitate for my 1st Flashlight : G2 or Nuwai TM-301X-5 ?

BlackFox

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, i'm new here (sorry for my medium level english)

I hesitate for my 1st flashligth, betwen surefire G2 65 lumens and nuwai Nuwai TM-301X-5 100 lumens for 65 $....

but i dont unterstand the final verdict of the reviews of this seriousness website (flashlightreviews.com) :

The surefire G2 65 lumens in test : http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_g2.htm 30 $

surefire_g2_ruler.jpg

You got :
Throw (Lux) (click for description) ~ 3534 at beam center.
Overall Output (click for description) ~ 5200

The nuwaie TM-301X-5) 100 lumens in test : http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x5.htm 65 $

nuwai_tm301x-5_002.jpg

You got :
Throw (Lux) (click for description) high ~ 523 at beam center.
Overall Output (click for description) high ~ 4000

when you see this ocults results, what is the real power in lumens of this two great flashlights ????

i have an awful impression : the Surefire G2 seems to be more powerfull then the nuwai, with only 65 "official" lumens, versus 100 lumens ??

Except that, the nuwai TM-301X-5 seems to be an great flashlight of 5 watts, with 1 hour and half before the "decharge" of 50% of the battery power.

For a good price, 65 $ is good compromise power/price ;)

thanks you very much

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: i hesite for my 1st Flashlight : G2 or Nuwai TM-301X-5 ?

Welcome! That's a pretty good first post... complete with working links and hotlinked pictures... Even though you aren't supposed to hotlink pictures to other forums/websites without permission.

Between the two lights... I might be tempted to suggest you go for the G2. Nothing wrong with that Lux V Nuwai and in fact, I've wanted one for quite a while now. They both have similar beams... large hotspots and good spillbeams. I think either light would serve you VERY well as a general purpose light.

With the G2, you are unlikely to encounted any problems. Surefire has an outstanding reputation among lightmakers. Nuwais aren't bad at all, but probably a bit more troublesome than Surefire. If you buy a Nuwai, be sure to get it from a reputable source rather than some random eBay seller. You can't really deal directly with Nuwai for warranty issues.

With the G2, you can either use the stock P60 lamp for one hour of 60 lumens, or you can buy a P61 lamp that gives 20 minutes of 120 lumens. Pretty bright, but you go through batteries pretty quickly. You can decide to get the Bug Out Gear Lux III module for the G2. it replaces the P60/P61 lamp and gives very nice runtime, good throw and very good overall output. A modified version of this Bug Out Gear module is the light engine in my very favorite light. Also, with the BOG module, you can use rechargeable LiON cells for essentially free use once all required items have been purchased.

Be sure to have a look through other theads here on CPF... LOTS of information. You'll find that the G2 is one of the more popular lights.

Flame

Newly Enlightened

Welcome to CPF!

I have no experience with the TM-301X-5, but I do have a G2 and it is very bright, reliable, lots of throw and good quality beam. If I were to do it over again I would probably buy the Surefire 6P beacuase you can interchange more parts to do different things. It is, however a bit more expensive but worth taking a look at.

If you haven't already seen the Buy/Sell/Trade section of CPF, take a look there are many good deals to be made there.

BBL

Enlightened

BlackFox said:
i have an awful impression : the Surefire G2 seems to be more powerfull then the nuwai, with only 65 "official" lumens, versus 100 lumens ??
there are very few companies that publish correct numbers for light output. surefire is one of them.
normally, the numbers for light-output are totally exagerated.

Radio

Modulated Moderator

I have both and like them both but the Nuwai 5 watt is the winner for me, LED VS Incan, runtime on the G2 is 5min to 75% and all downhill from there, both have nice beams and I am biased towards the LEDs. The biggest drawback is the luxeon lottery, I have 2 of the 5 watt Nuwais and one is snow white and the other "looks" white by itself but when compared side by side with other lights leans a little to the green side, not much, and you could never tell alone. So if runtime is important go LED if size (half inch) and price are more important go G2.

Kershaw

Enlightened

If you convert to lumens by multiplying 1.43 by the lux readings on Flash Light reveiws you get about 60 lumens which is close to the G2's output.

DreamScape

Enlightened

Welcome to CPF Blackfox
BBL has a good point with regards to companies publishing correct lumen output.
My money would be on Surefire being closer than Nuwai though.
Surefire tend to under estimate their Lumen output from fresh batteries.
So the G2 will be slightly more than 65 Lumen to start with.

I've not got the Nuwai mentioned, but would guess it is much less than 100 Lumens.
Maybe even 55 Lumens (just Guessing that bit).

It depends what you will be using the light for too.
The Nuwai is more of a close quarter light and can light up a room.
The G2 is more of a thrower than the Nuwai.
The Nuwai is an LED and the G2 is incandesent.
Anyway, stay a while and goodluck on your choice.

GO WITH THE SURFIRE G2 :naughty:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Blackfox,

I know you are new here but you are comparing "apples to oranges" as they say. The only Surefire to compare to the TM301X-5 is the SF L4. A comparative light to the SF G2 would be something like the Streamlight Scorpion (incan.)

John

Last edited:

BlackFox

Newly Enlightened
really, thank you for your help, all, it's nice ;)

I don't know what think lol

john2551 you think then this two flashlights are not in the same category ?

The TM301X-5 is superior for you, if i understand...

DreamScape okay, when you see the result of the review you can estimate the real lumens of the nuwai half inferior, interesting...

Radio, yes, the "technolgie" are different, the incadescent xenon use more quickly the battery, but is more powerfull, and vis versa for the nuwai (led)...
The incadecent xenon during 100 000 hours of life too no ?

i hesitate, the opinion is reallly differents here lol

but the surefire is really a serious label, who equiped the US army and more
The lumens seems to be REAL...

2 little questions : the runtime of surefire G2 is 1 hours, but after 1 hour you got again 50% of battery energie or she is totaly empty ?

the G90 bulb for G2 is a good upgrade ? what is the difference with the P61 bulb (120 lm in the two case ? the same runtime ?)

okay it's all for this time, thank you again :)

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome to CPF, Blackfox. I really like my Nuwai, but I do think everyone should own either a Surefire G2 or 6P if they can IMHO. They are just super workhorses. As Cratz said, they can also accommodate LED modules as well. You get a warrany that cannot be beat. I have found that as many lights as I have gotten since my first 6P, this light is still a favorite and is used often. Good luck with your purchase.

one more thing: Buy both lights if you can

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wouldn't consider the G2 because it's lamp assembly is as much as the light.
If you want a bright 2 cell incan get the brinkmann maxfire. Alot Cheaper and just as bright but not quite as well built. If I wanted a nice light, I'd go with the nuwai or fork over some bucks for an surefire l4

Surefire is no more reliable than others. I hear about quality control issue from surefire all the time here.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes i do. One is incan. (G2) the other is LED. Go to flashlightreviews & compare all 5w LEDs if you want a 5w LED or go to the incan. page & compare them to see which one of those you like if you decide to buy a incan. Just remember that incan. lights have much shorter runtimes & you have to change the bulb/LA if it burns out during useage or if you drop it, especially when it's on.

carrot

Flashaholic

xochi said:
I wouldn't consider the G2 because it's lamp assembly is as much as the light.
Surefire is no more reliable than others. I hear about quality control issue from surefire all the time here.
The G2 lamp assembly, the P60, is nearly as much as the light... because it *is* the light. The body of the G2 is simply a glorified watertight battery holder, nothing more, nothing less. In any case, I wouldn't worry about burning out the lamp because they are rated to last 25+ hours -- and often last longer. (Compare this to a Mini Maglite bulb, which will last less than 5 hours.)

This statement about Surefire quality is not true. The only issues I've heard deal with their "complicated" lights -- namely the U2, and occasionally the A2. The G2 is a solid light -- I haven't heard of a single problem with it. Nor any problems with P-series or M-series lights.

The thing is, most people compare the Nuwai TM-301 5W to the Surefire L4 not because the L4 is a "better" light, so to speak, but because they feature the same type of LED (Luxeon V) and have similar beam characteristics. The G2 is a different animal -- it's an incandescent light, and the reflector is designed for a nice balance of throw and flood -- and Luxeon V lights tend to be flooders. So what it comes down to is what you're looking for in a light, whether you want to be able to throw, or simply light up an entire room. If you just want to light up an entire room, the TM-301 5W will suit your needs admirably, but if you want to light things up at fair distances, the G2 will do it better. (But don't think the G2 won't light up an entire room, either.) Most newbies find themselves more impressed with throw.

After 60 minutes of runtime on the G2 you should expect the light to dim pretty rapidly. With a P61, you'll have 120 lumens, but for only 20 minutes at a time. To use a G90 you would have to run it on rechargeable batteries (I forget which, though), but the increased brightness could be worth it to you. I think on rechargeables, the G90 will last about 30-40 minutes per charge.

The G2 and 6P are both great starter lights. They are both easilly modifiable with drop-in parts -- just swap out the lamp assembly and maybe use different types of batteries, and you can even convert them to be LED lights with the BOG 3W LED module. With the 6P, you can turn it into a 9P with an A19 body tube extender and a P90, outputting 105 lumens for 60 minutes on three batteries. If you are considering dropping about $60 on the Nuwai, I would say you should also consider paying about $60 for the Surefire 6P, simply because you could convert it into a 9P later, although the G2 also a fantastic light. In fact, the G2 will protect the lamp assembly from shock better than the 6P will, so if you are prone to dropping things, I'd recommend the Nuwai or G2 over the 6P.

In short, as a first light, I'd recommend the Surefire (either 6P or G2), unless you need the extended runtime the Nuwai will give you.

Last edited:

DreamScape

Enlightened

Very Nice write up Carrot.

Blackfox Im not sure what you have been using in the past (maglites maybe?) but go with the G2. You will be impressed. Or by both. keep the one you like and Sell on the other, or keep both.
You haven't mentioned what your requirements of the Flashlight are?
We could probably recommend something else.
If it's used all the time then rechargeable's are the way to go.

Good Luck on your choice anyway.

BlackFox

Newly Enlightened

wow, carrot and other members you are excelent :) !

good explains

the incan lampe got a rayon of light more concentrated, and led lamp got a rayon more general, more flood, thank to learn me that :)

My usage is for use outdoors, in night, i need a long range brightness ;)

so the typical during of life of incan bulb is 20+ hour only ?

Nobody know if the G90 bulb got real 105 lumens ? (after my research google, if she is exact)

I will take the G2 i think, with the g90 bulb + 2 reloadable battery and recharge station for only 65 $ all...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

The G2 runtime is pure, unadulterated, crap. Then the battery pack dies. Get the Nuwai.

widget

Newly Enlightened

Is there a rechargeable RCR123 that works with the Nuwai TM-301X-5 and won't fry it? Aside from Pila, is there another brand that works?

carrot

Flashaholic

Brasso said:
The G2 runtime is pure, unadulterated, crap. Then the battery pack dies. Get the Nuwai.
Different lights, different beams, different uses. Get over your biases.

BlackFox, make sure you get the G90 that is labeled "high-pressure" -- which is brighter than Surefire's own P90. I am not 100% sure, but I believe Digilight's G90 is the high-pressure one. http://www.digilightusa.com/catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=25

Last edited:

BlackFox

Newly Enlightened

carrot said:
BlackFox, make sure you get the G90 that is labeled "high-pressure" -- which is brighter than Surefire's own P90. I am not 100% sure, but I believe Digilight's G90 is the high-pressure one. http://www.digilightusa.com/catalog/product-detail.asp?pid=25

it's strange, you need 9v for run the G90 bulb ?

but with 2 cell, (the G2) it's okay too, but the battery is down more quickly or i nothing understand ?

for the same price yo ugot the P61 bulb, it's better ? ....