Catalyst pellets - Oops!

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was cleaning the reflector of my SL PP Lux AA with isopropyl alcohol and managed to soak the hydrogen catalyst pellets. :oops: I'm sure the pellets are quite thoroughly trashed now, but is this going to cause any problems? Is there a better way to clean the reflector than sloshing isopropyl alcohol on it? Thanks everybody.

Cheers. :buddies:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
If you place the unit in a warm location, you might be lucky and just have the alcohol evaporate with no effect on the catalyst. The job of a catalyst is simply to hasten a reaction, not to actually react with things. But then again, I'm no chemist either.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Photon Boy. Hit it with warm air from a hair dryer. The alcohol is all evaporated by now. It may leave a film on it but you could heat it up anyway.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks folks. I left the flashlight disassembled overnight on the warm fireplace mantle. Reassembled it this morning and used it for about three hours, worked flawlessly. I was using 99 percent isopropyl alcohol instead of the more common 70 percent. Catalyst pellets haven't changed color, though I doubt they work anymore. Thanks again.

Cheers. :buddies:

drmaxx

Enlightened
The alcohol should not be any problem. Most hydrogen catalysts are platinum / palladium or Pt/Pd doted carriers (aluminum oxide, carbon) - usually nothing that gets affected by the alcohol. (The hydrogen gets converted to water anyway, so water is not a big deal either).
So after the pellets are dry they still should work as intended.

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I think it's to combine the Hydrogen released by batteries with Oxygen, producing harmless water. I think this is necessary for lights to obtain regulatory approval for use in hazardous environments (explosive gases mixed in air e.g. fuel tanks, etc.) or for fire fighting personnel.

Arkayne

Enlightened
Wow, now they need some kind of underwear liner so I can toot toot in the office.

I keeed i keeeeed! :lolsign:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Arkayne said:
Wow, now they need some kind of underwear liner so I can toot toot in the office.

They actually make those. At my previous job we almost bought some to leave on the director's desk.:devil: