mag85WORTH IT?

carrot

Flashaholic
Typing in CAPITAL LETTERS is considered improper internet etiquette. It is equivalent to YELLING or SHOUTING. And that would explain why you are getting no replies.

As for your question, most people build their own.

Last edited:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
willtut:

Welcome. :wave:

You do need a Mag85. You can either make one yourself from the 5 or so pieces you have to stick together, or buy one assembled from someone.

I suggest a "SMO" meaning smooth reflector, or a "LOP" meaning low orange peel. Those provide the most throw, which is the whole point of a Mag85 IMO.

If you want a (probably costy) but high end Mag85, send a PM to CPF member Juancho. There are other good CPF members who sell them too.

If you'd like to figure out how to make one yourself, give the search function a good try, and if you need help PM me.

peace

jezzyp

Enlightened
Glad not its just me who can't deceide on the mag85.

I'm torn between the mag 85 (built by some else for me) or the AE HID light.

How do these expensive lights compare to the cheapo 1 million candlepower lights in terms of throw? I don't want to spend a lot of £££ and be dissapointed.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe my math is all mixed-up but $135.00 for a turnkey Mag85 that includes CB1650s and an FM battery holder seems like a good deal to me. Take in to account the shipping charges if you buy the parts seperately. Then if you pay yourself an hourly rate for hunting everything down and ordering it you might be coming out ahead?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak said:
Maybe my math is all mixed-up but $135.00 for a turnkey Mag85 that includes CB1650s and an FM battery holder seems like a good deal to me. Take in to account the shipping charges if you buy the parts seperately. Then if you pay yourself an hourly rate for hunting everything down and ordering it you might be coming out ahead?

Does the $135 include the Kiu high temp socket? While it may be a decent deal, being able to say "I built it" rather than saying "I bought it" is priceless. The cost of building it yourself is $120 with the high temp socket, and that includes shipping. The socket itself is $15. I think you really need to use that with those high power incandescents.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
Does the $135 include the Kiu high temp socket? While it may be a decent deal, being able to say "I built it" rather than saying "I bought it" is priceless. The cost of building it yourself is $120 with the high temp socket, and that includes shipping. The socket itself is $15. I think you really need to use that with those high power incandescents.
No Kiu with the LightEdge turnkey Mag85.

Just going mainly on memory which is falable.

2 potted 1185.........$18.00
lens ......................$ 7.00
camless Al reflector. $20.00
FM batt holder........ $30.00
Mag 3D .................$20.00
10 CB 1650............ $20.00
Tot...................... $115.00
Shipping on individual parts not included.

The FM holders are not available from FM at this time. I don't know if the Kiu sockets are available. I don't have one but it seems like everyone that does likes them. I have good success with potted set-ups. Not so good with FM PR adapter because it stands too high to use the FM cammed reflector. Works on other cammed and camless reflectors.

So, helping a new guy to attain a tested Mag85 with a minimum of hassel has some value. I think LightEdge's deal is good.

Building one yourself has value. Satisfaction for sure but the knowledge gained by DIY is highly valuable. Agreed totally.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already had a 2D mag, and I spent about $70 on parts to build mine. I bought a ceramic socket at the local hardware store for under $5 and built my own mount for it to attach to the modified Mag switch.