Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 inside!)

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 inside!)

Hi all! Just received my SL on fri, a big thank you to icebeng for helping me ship it in!
wink2.gif

First impressions: Man! Don't let the packaging fool you! After cutting the sides of the package to get it out, I loaded it with the batteries provided and checked it out. Hmm. Not bad, smaller than I expected, and despite what all the others have been saying, this torch fits my hand perfectly, is not too heavy and I can easily and comfortably carry it for extended periods of time. I ordered the black version by the way and its very nice and has the tactical look despite the plastic body.

Light quality: Wow! Nice light. The brightest one I have ever seen. Mine has a slight purplish tint like cheap LEDs. Beam output is in the form of a very, very, very tight hotspot. (Measurements below). Although many people have said that the SL has a lousy spillbeam, I find it very decent and bright enough to light up trees 10m high when the spillbeam reaches it (not the hotspot). Needless to say, it is good for trail walking. In fact, the sidespill is better/or rivals than the beam of my previous (now spoilt) Princeton Tec Rage which was classified as a flood light.

Throw: This light as many have mentioned has excellent throw for its size. I am able to see my light on buildings at about 100m, though it is not very clear. But at least I can see where my light reaches.

Other noticable things: I realised that the head of the torch would become slightly warm after a period of use. Not very noticable though. This light is not really suitable for EDC but it fits nicely into a jacket pocket. And, there is a slight movement/sound when you hit the head of the light against your palm. So the lamp assembly and batteries are not really tight and secure. Hence it cannot, in my opinion, withstand the vibration and shock of a firing gun. (i.e. : not a tactical light)

Everyone's favourite part - pictures:

SL 4AA PP package (front):
SL4AAPPpackagefront.jpg

SL package (back):
SL4AAPPpackageback.jpg

30cm beamshot (Note the 2 spillbeams and a hotspot):
SL4AAPPbeamshot30cmwith2spillbeams.jpg

30cm beamshot (close up on 2 spillbeams):
2beamshotsclearlyseen.jpg

1m beamshot of SL, 1 with broom for size:
1mwallbeamshotSL4AAPP.jpg

1mwallbeamshotwithbroomSL4AAPP.jpg

2m beamshot of SL, one with broom for size:
2mwallbeamshotSL4AAPP.jpg

2mwallbeamshotwithbroomSL4AAPP.jpg

Testing of ceiling bounce:

Before:
Originalshotofbicycleindark.jpg

After:
CeilingbounceSL4AAPP.jpg

And saving the best for the last, the shots of the SL up close:

SL beside my Nokia 6610i (the SL looks huge but it isnt):
SL4AAbasidehandphone.jpg

SL tail switch:
SL4AAtailswitch.jpg

SL light head on:
SL4AAheadonlight.jpg

SL light from side-top. See how bright it is!
wow.gif
:
SL4AAsemitopviewon.jpg

Measurements of beam:

At 30cm - diameter of hotspot = 5cm

At 1m, radius of spillbeam = 52cm
diameter of hotspot = 20cm

At 2m, radius of spilbeam = 130cm
diameter of hotspot = 50cm

And btw for those who are wondering, DON'T DON'T ever look into the SL's beam. I tried shining it into a mirror and lost my clearness of vision for about 5 mins.
aaa.gif

Hope you enjoyed this mini-review
naughty.gif
. Hope that also all the newbies will be enlighted by this post and for those sitting on the fence, this light is certainly worth the buy! I was intially deciding between the Inova T3 and the SL, but eventually traded off the inova's better build, larger hotspot for the SL's further throw and better sidespill. And I sure am glad I did. :grin2:

Last edited:

maxilux

Enlightened
Re: Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 insid

Yes, one of the best lights for this price i know.
Try a little bit more when making pictures.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 inside!)

Dozens of threads on these lights already and yet new ones continue to crop up from those that recently joined the SL4AALux revolution. You just can't beat this flashlight's great regulation on Alkaline or NiMH AA's, the tint, brightness, and runtime all for about $23! Streamlight would do well to make a few variants based on this winning combination. :)

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened
Re: Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 inside!)

LowBat said:
Streamlight would do well to make a few variants based on this winning combination.

Well said. I keep thinking that. Their regulation and the reflector give the best service to a high-flux LED that I've ever seen. Even if they just put a higher powered LED in exactly the same housing, that would make a very appealing light. Less runtime, but not a problem - runtime is already great on NiMHs. And mine never gets anywhere near warm, so I'm sure they could put a higher-powered LED in there.

I'd also like to see Streamlight use that kind of reflector and regulation combo in a headlight.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the streamlight 4aa lux uses a luxeon 3 led

would a lux 5 be an improvement - I do not think so.

OutdoorIdiot

Enlightened

markdi said:
I think the streamlight 4aa lux uses a luxeon 3 led

You could be right, but I was under the impression is was a 1 watt LED. The output is rather low, similar to other 1 watt LEDs. Given the rated lifetime of the LED (10,000 hrs), and the lumen output, I assumed it was a 1 watt LED being driven at about 1.25 watts.

If that is true, i.e. it is a 1 watt LED, then I would think they could put a 3 watt LED in it and comfortably get about twice the light output.

If you are right, and it currently has a 3 watt LED in it, then yes, 5 watt LEDs certainly seem disappointing, so maybe it couldn't be improved much.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

OutdoorIdiot said:
You could be right, but I was under the impression is was a 1 watt LED. The output is rather low, similar to other 1 watt LEDs. Given the rated lifetime of the LED (10,000 hrs), and the lumen output, I assumed it was a 1 watt LED being driven at about 1.25 watts.

If that is true, i.e. it is a 1 watt LED, then I would think they could put a 3 watt LED in it and comfortably get about twice the light output.

If you are right, and it currently has a 3 watt LED in it, then yes, 5 watt LEDs certainly seem disappointing, so maybe it couldn't be improved much.
It's a 1 watt R bin. I would be interested in seeing how a 3 watt would perform if anyone has done such a mod.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Hey! That's pretty much how the beam looks being produced by mine. Nice write up and pics to boot! Way to go N_A_L! :wave:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

A fully regulated light such as this will not benefit from an "upgraded" LED unless you get an S bin LuxI or a U bin LuxIII. They will be supplied the same alount of power no matter what LED is in it, so it's almost pointless.

Mine should be showing up tomorrow :grin2:

According to Streamlight, the lamp is driven at sustained 500mA. The entire flashlight draws about 0.5A at 5V, so, realistically, its using about 2.5 watts of power which is right along the line with a 4.8v 0.5A xenon lamp.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine Monday, it's not bad. Beam quality isnt that great and the hotspot is off center, but its very bright and very cheap.

L.E.D.

Enlightened

I love my SL Lux 4AA as well, and I have the same black bodied one. I thought a cool variant would be for them to make an all aluminium 4aa that would be fat instead of long, kind of like the dorcy cool blue aluminum but lots nicer looking, using the same Lux I w/ reflector module as the propoly... Thoughts, anyone?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should probably contact Streamlight about that, if the hotspot is off center. They'll probably replace it. I have 4 of those lights and one was a bit greenish (Streamlight has already told me to send it in for replacement, just gotta get a round tuit.)

chevrofreak said:
Beam quality isnt that great and the hotspot is off center, but its very bright and very cheap.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

L.E.D. said:
I love my SL Lux 4AA as well, and I have the same black bodied one. I thought a cool variant would be for them to make an all aluminium 4aa that would be fat instead of long, kind of like the dorcy cool blue aluminum but lots nicer looking, using the same Lux I w/ reflector module as the propoly... Thoughts, anyone?
I've already made some measurements and the overall length would be reduced by 2 inches. It also appears such a battery tube would not excede the diameter of the bezel.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brighteyez said:
You should probably contact Streamlight about that, if the hotspot is off center. They'll probably replace it. I have 4 of those lights and one was a bit greenish (Streamlight has already told me to send it in for replacement, just gotta get a round tuit.)

Its noticeable if I go wall hunting, but otherwise I dont see it. I think the off center hotspot may actually be due to the plastic lens, but I want to replace that with glass anyway.

Donovan

Enlightened
Re: Just got my STREAMLIGHT 4AA PROPOLYMER LUXEON!!! Review & (Lots of pics-15 insid

L.E.D. said:
That would be a cool variant! I wish they would take that LED module and use it in a lot of different lights. I would love to see an aluminum version of the PP also

the_beast

Newly Enlightened

I'd like to see the same body just with an aluminum heatsink ring at the base of the bezel to let out the heat. Then they could keep that lovely reflector and the nice light plastic body, but get away with the extra heat produced by a well driven lux3. This light with a well sinked U-bin would really throw!

db

Newly Enlightened

Just received one to send home with my 12yr old to keep by her bed. This one has a nicer hotspot (similiar to pictured above) than the one I already had. (kinda greenish and not-quite centered).
I gave one to my brother for his b-day, but no comment from him about it, and I didn't open it up and test it first.
Really a nice light. Would probably make sense to order them in pairs to save on shipping.
I have a ripoffs clip-on holster. I wouldn't want to carry it to work everyday, but it'd be fine for working around the house, or camping.
Holster @ BrightGuy