Dorcy 3D led ?

DaveG

Enlightened
Just picked up a Dorcy 3d led at target, and when you turn it on it looks like the reflector has some sort of flecks of dust or plastic shavings on it. Is this the norm with this light? I ran some water in it to clean it out but no go,any ideas?

AshA4

Banned
I just looked at mine and didn't notice any shavings or particles. You ran it under water and they didn't come off? Strange, maybe you should consider returning it for another?

DaveG

Enlightened
AshA4 said:
I just looked at mine and didn't notice any shavings or particles. You ran it under water and they didn't come off? Strange, maybe you should consider returning it for another?
Thanks for the info,I never saw a light with so much crud in the reflector,I was more curious than anything,other wise it works great,for the price.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 3 of them and all were crud and flake free. I modded one with a Lux III (which has a larger depth star) and when I tightened the head/reflector down on the Lux III, the reflector pulled a slight amount of plastic from the plastic part of the emitter.

Does it look like plastic shavings or something?
thinking.gif

DaveG

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
I have 3 of them and all were crud and flake free. I modded one with a Lux III (which has a larger depth star) and when I tightened the head/reflector down on the Lux III, the reflector pulled a slight amount of plastic from the plastic part of the emitter.

Does it look like plastic shavings or something?
thinking.gif
I did not notice anything till I turned the light on,and the reflector was coated with what looked like very fine dust almost like baby powder,washed it out with water,now it looks like lint,like when the light was built at the factory some one did not clean it out before assembly.It has no effect on the light that I can tell,I cant whine too much,only payed $10.98 for it, this thing is bright. Its got to be plastic shavings but very fine ones. :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... definately not the same problem I ran into when I modded mine... Mine sort of looked like what comes out when you sharpen a pencil... sort of elongated shavings which were easily removed.

If it's not effecting the beam, I wouldn't worry about it. The coating on those reflectors is SUPER thin and if you try to wipe it with a cloth or anything, it will streak and probably will have a slight negative effect on the beam.

Great light though. I think the LEDBeam 3C light stole some of its thunder but overall, I prefer the Dorcy. GREAT runtime and usably bright.