help..please?

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
So, about 2 hours ago, I turned my computer on, log in as normal, and my internet isnt functioning:huh2:....so I rebooted, and started in safe mode with networking. After logging in again, I now have internet, but I can't type with my keyboard, only using the on screen keyboard(which is a PITA by the way) anyone have any idea what the heck is goin on. Appriciate any advice that can be give, thanks in advance, Tyler
(btw im using a dell, running windows xp, not sure what service pack as of right now)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
never heard of that did ya by chance move any wires in back and disconect keyboard?

carrot

Flashaholic
PS/2 keyboards get unplugged pretty easily. You should check that first, like Raggie suggested.

But then I just noticed you said you started in safe mode. Safe mode disables certain services in an attempt to boot up Windows in case drivers or services cause Windows to hang or crash on startup. If you have a USB keyboard (rectangle plug), and you're using that now, try a PS/2 keyboard (round plug) if you have one lying around. Or vice-versa.

I'm not sure about why your network connection isn't working when Windows is not in safe mode, but if you needed to install drivers for it you could try installing those again (or updating), from the manufacturer's website.

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
I had checked the keyboard(PS/2) and it was plugged in, going to try and borrow a usb keyboard from a friend tomorrow. Thanks again for the quick responses guys, anyone else got any ideas?

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Go to setup BIOS screen when you first turn on your computer, and check to see if Key board is enabled.

dcarch8

darkhanger18

Newly Enlightened
well...i turn my computer on before and it froze and would not respond.turned it off(the bad way) and backed up what i needed, and used the dreded SYSTEM RESTORE :awman: ...it works now, thanks for all the help guys...anyone ever need advice about stereo/audio systems or setup of such systems,(either home or car) feel free to pm me

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Glad you got it back up & running darkhanger!

Now, since we're in a "help..please?" thread...

What would prevent system restore from successfully completing a restore AT ANY RESTORE POINT?

I ran into a situation where it kept saying "Unable to complete system restore" or words to that effect. Even tried in safe mode and no worky...eh?