• Don'

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
:whistle:
x1f.jpg

x1i.jpg

I'm sure someone out there has been waiting to see this. Only 2 freezes to open the flashlight. The press-fit area is reduced to about 2mm. Maybe it can be pressed out now.

I let the air escape from the piston while submerged. There's nothing inside to break, so go ahead. I used my old tailcap, a junky one with the button covered with pcb tape to keep it from ballooning out and reducing internal pressure.

Here's the pcb: It looks a lot like the old one.
x1d.jpg

The spring is much larger now, with thicker gauge wire.
x1c.jpg

Alien?

The 'piston' is just a plastic tube, like a plastic cap from a highlighter. It has a brass cup inside which the spring sits in, and the other side is where the nipple of your AA battery rests. It appears that the whole piston slides inside the flashlight, as opposed to the older version, which had nestled rings that moved slightly inside the light.

x1b.jpg

The bezel this time seems sealed. If one broke the lens, I can't see how it could be replaced. Maybe it is just glued in place. There doesn't appear to be an o-ring protecting it like in the original version.

The leads are now sealed:
x1e.jpg

That was fun! Any suggestions for the mod? Maybe the pcb/led would be better in an old x1. (besides glow paint - since the bezel is closed, the only way to paint is thru the led hole.) I am going to try to switch out the tube for an older one with better threads.

Unfortunately, the new piston design won't be useable in the old style flashlight, due to its excessive size.
Will buy used inova X1 any color​

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could still replace the led on that one. No problem. A little more work but can be done.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer them both

I picked up an "Old" style X1 at Target to compare to my new one and I gotta say, I like it too! Contrary to the new review on Flashlightreviews, the spot is brighter than the center portion of the new flood. They must have updated the LED in the spot version before changing to the flood style. The new one appears to have the same amount of total light spread over a larger area.
I think they should continue to make both versions. Even thought the old version is only good for looking at/for things across a room or further or very brightly illuminating something small up close in a lighted room, it is soo fun to play with that I can't put it down. Useful outdoors with good throw for a 1AA. If you shine it on your honey's window to get her attention, but not wake up her parents in the next room, then this is the light for you. I wish the Inova T3 was the same beam, as that will probably be my next light for use from the car as a spotlight.

On topic again: I don't think a Lux would work well in the new X1 without swapping in a real reflector or collimiter since the Luxeon has pure flood beam while the new X1 gets it's beam shape entirely from the 5mm led beam shape. It's "reflector" isn't one at all, just a bare aluminum cone. Unless they updated it again... Then I'd have to get another one.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I prefer them both

The major difference is the piston. It could easily be cut down to allow for more room if needed. It just needs the part that rests on the body tube.

The cap is brass, and the spring looks like it is stainless. Would those two metals be reactive with H2O?

The old style bezel could be utilized if needed. It provides the current path for the led. Then you would have to come up with a reflector of some sort.

I'm not saying I would try it... Just that there are possibilities.

I added some more photos.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

i like the old version becoz of 1 thing, i can use glow paint on the inside and still see it, becoz there isn't a huge piece of metal gunk blocking them.

Walt175

Enlightened

I'm thinking the same thing. As far as it not opening, if they got it together, there has to be a way to get it apart!

Ikonomi said:
Seems like polishing the aluminum cone could turn it into a serviceable reflector.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking for instructions on doing the Freeze-Pop thing to open the X1 -

and managed to find a good thread/post -
and thought others might like the reference, or bookmark it -

How to remove the INOVA X1/X5t bezel

It was not quite as obvious, or easy, as I had thought.....

Sorry for the interruption.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Anyone with an Inova Radiant 2AA, check out the internal structure... Just pull off the black liner at the bezel by popping a knife underneath then prying, then pulling out the metal reflector tube by the front lip. Kinda looks similar to the X1..

Walt175

Enlightened
My lens came off when I freeze poped it. I took it out of the freezer tonight when I got home from work, and noticed the lens seemed crooked. After the ice started melting, the lens fell off. It appears to be glued on. I think I'm going to try to get an old style just for modding. I like the idea of a screw in lens better.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened

Blindasabat said:
I picked up an "Old" style X1 at Target to compare to my new one and I gotta say, I like it too! Contrary to the new review on Flashlightreviews, the spot is brighter than the center portion of the new flood. They must have updated the LED in the spot version before changing to the flood style./// I think they should continue to make both versions.
....while the new X1 gets it's beam shape entirely from the 5mm led beam shape. It's "reflector" isn't one at all, just a bare aluminum cone. Unless they updated it again...
Having had the older one for a while, I recently got the new X1 and I totally agree with you. They should have continued to make both, they shouldn't have called the new one by the same name but rather "X1.5" or "X2".

Center spot on the old X1 is whiter and far more uniform. But that said, I really like the new one too - apples and oranges. It has the widespread coverage of the old CMG IU but is brighter and the transition from hotspot center to periphery is better - so good I keep thinking the reflector (bare aluminum or not, 5 mm LED regardless) plays a role. It isn't as white as the Peak Kilimanjaro AA, and the central hotspot not a good for reading, but X1's overall beam far better and periphery far brighter. Comparing with HDS EDC on secondary setting, HDS is way whiter, but X1 is comparably bright in center and very noticeably brighter away from that. So I now have a new favorite 1xAA light for general-purpose close tasks and walking about. OK, if you hate blue, you will not go for it. Complaints were expressed about the Arc premium AAA, but mine is far whiter than the (presumed Nichia CS in the) X1!

I like them both.

paulr

Flashaholic

Nice, I didn't realize til just now that there was a new version. Can someone weigh it with a postage scale? Got a photo next to an old-style CMG/Gerber Infinity/Ultra[-G]?

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened

paulr said:
Nice, I didn't realize til just now that there was a new version. Can someone weigh it with a postage scale? Got a photo next to an old-style CMG/Gerber Infinity/Ultra[-G]?

Can't help with the photo right now, but the new X1 is the same length as the old X1 = 100 mm. Diameter of CMG (not Gerber) is just a hair larger, not really to notice, and length is 83 mm to end of lug. On my electronic postal scale, old X1 weighs 2.5 oz with alkaline battery, 2.2 with lithium. New X1 weighs 2.3 oz with alkaline, 2.0 with lithium.

As you've probably gathered by now, although the old and new versions look alike from the side and bear the same name, they really are two entirely different flashlights with regard to beams. Each good for different purposes IMO.

- Bill