64 bit processing, it's GOOD!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humor me, there IS a flashlight connection here <grin>.

First the enthuasium/bragging :whistle:
Made the leap up to an Athlon 64 X2 (dual core) machine over the weekend. Running Windows XP Professional x64 (the 64 bit version) and except for a couple of missing drivers (one of my printers and a video capture card) all is good. HOLY MOSES does photoshop like running in that environment!

So anyway I'm finishing the assembly and giving it that last lookover before I power it up the first time and I decided to go grab my HDS EDC 60 basic so I could see into all the nooks. 10 lumens is PLENTY that close!

Fortunately with the aid of a good flashlight I noticed one loose screw that had become trapped near the edge of the motherboard. If I had powered up with it there....ZAP for my motherboard (and who knows what else). So I'm really glad I spotted it!

Yea for good flashlights (and Yea for 64 bit processing)!!! :naughty:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched a 486 chip "poof" once - I wouldn't even want to imagine how quickly it would go with a 64bit dual core!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Since I recently bought an Athlon 64x2 4200+ system it'd better be really good ... for the price :green:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
zespectre said:
...I noticed one loose screw that had become trapped near the edge of the motherboard. If I had powered up with it there....ZAP for my motherboard (and who knows what else). So I'm really glad I spotted it!
When I work on mine I always shake it and listen before I plug it back in for just that reason.

Sounds like a gas of a machine.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant afford dual core ill have to wait when quad core is in everyones pc to afford dual core

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie33, believe me I know what you mean. I only get away with early adoption because it's my work. If I don't stay up on the tech curve...pffffft.

On the other hand my stereo system is so old the amp has TUBES in it. Oh wait, that's popular again now, never mind <grin>.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i bet its fun to use that pc i have 64 bit both my cpus are 64 bit the one in this pc is 64 bit and was only 80 bucks for the cpu a retail cpu with heatsink and 3 year warenty and motherboard .i love the price hs ehas been so stable but i rather have dual core with 2 gigs a ram and 2 sata 10000 rpm hardrives with 16 cache drolls lol

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
How many programs can actually take full advantage of the dual core and 64 bit? I remember some one a few months ago was saying something about it wasn't as fast as they wished. Or are the voices inside my head telling me what I remember? lol.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now there is very little native 64 bit stuff out there. What I have that is native 64 moves like a bat outta hell (Windows media player for example). Mixed mode stuff like Photoshop CS2 also has had a pretty noticable improvement in performance, especially when running lots of filters on a large image. I think part of that improvement also comes from the dual core processor.

On the other hand some software (BeyondTV4) does not play well with the WOW (Windows in Windows) mode that lets you run 32 bit software and though it will run it's essentially useless.

I've only been working with this for about 72 hours now (probably a total of 12 hours in front of the keyboard) so I'm still in the initial stages of testing and futzing around. If others here are interested then I'll post back here as I progress.