G&P 3 Watt Unregulated Drop in LED

Heck

Enlightened
I'm looking at the G&P 3 watt unregulated drop in led lamp assembly, for lights using the SF P60 lamp assembly. The one you can get at lighthound.

Does anyone have any experience with this LA?

How does it compare to the P60? and to the Bugoutgear's regulated version? Output? Throw? Beam shape?

Can it be used with 17670's? If so, at what output and run time?

Can it be used with protected/unprotected R123's? How long and output?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize there was an unregulated one... Do you mean the one that is listed for $37.99?

I have the Bug Out Gear one that's been modified with a TW0K so it's a bit brighter than the stock BOG and it has an excellent tint. Most of the Bug Out Gear modules have an SYAL star which isn't ideal, but for general use, I'd probably rather have the BOG/G&P module than the stock P60.

You can use a 17670 cell (or an 18650 if your host will hold it). It seems just as bright to my eyes as with 2 primary 123 cells. But 17670s are a relatively tight fit for my Vital Gear host so I almost always use 2 MP R123 cells and I am entirely satisfied with the light. I think I get about 2 to 2.5 hours of the good brightness with the 2 R123s and in a pinch, several hours of lower light.

If you aren't familiar with using LiON cells or R123 cells, I'd stick with protected cells for safety.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I would go regulated if you can. I really like the BugOutGear ones ;)/QUOTE]
The BugOutGear 3W LED is not regulated; it's the same as the G&P. There' even a link on that page to a review of the G&P.

Emillion's 3W LED "Turbo" modules are regulated and can be stepped down to 1W (by switching a tiny, hard-to-reach switch).

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul_in_Maryland said:
The BugOutGear 3W LED is not regulated; it's the same as the G&P. There' even a link on that page to a review of the G&P.

Emillion's 3W LED "Turbo" modules are regulated and can be stepped down to 1W (by switching a tiny, hard-to-reach switch).

This brings up an interesting question... what is the CPF definition of 'regulated'? I mean, I generally consider something that is 'current regulated' to be regulated as this provides that the UK 4AA eLED gives. And we usually say that a light that takes 1 or 2 alkaline cells and bumps the voltage up to 3.X volts to be a voltage booster. The G&P/BOG module is a buck/boost circuit.

Not to ask a stupid question (I would say newbie question but at this point, I guess I'm almost one of the old guys on CPF and I should probably understand this by now) but is there any such thing as 'voltage regulation' or is the only kind of constant output regulation 'current regulation'?

I understand that the voltage is what the LED needs to operate and current is what determinds the exact brightness...

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Digilight TLX uses the G&P 3W lamp.

G&P%203w.png

Heck

Enlightened
Most excellent then.

By the way, how is the beam? throws long? flood? I'm thinking compared to the P60...I heard output is slightly less than P60.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
Heck said:
Will running the BOG/G&P 3 watt drop in at 9volts increase brightness?

Let's find out!

I have the BOG 3W LED Drop-in lamp assembly installed in one of my Brinkman Maxfires. I'll install my BOG 3W LED in my SureFire 6P and new Emilion flashlight bodies and drive it with all of my Li-ion rechargeables:

2 x RCR123a (3.7V/750mAh ea)
2 x 17500 (3.7V/1100mAh ea)
2 x 17670 (3.7V/1600mAh ea)

I'll also attempt to drive my BOG 3W LED assembly with a single protected 17670 and see if this works. Stay tuned for my results.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
Heck said:
Most excellent then.

By the way, how is the beam? throws long? flood? I'm thinking compared to the P60...I heard output is slightly less than P60.

I'll use my SF P60 lamp assembly (driven by fresh Battery Station primaries) as a reference.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
Heck said:
Neat, can you comment on the beam/throw in comparison to you P60?
I'll have to leave this for comments by someone who typically uses P60's. I use cell extenders on both my 6P and Z2, and use P90's in both.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
I don't normally use my P60 lamp assembly either. This will give me a reason to dig it out of my parts bin and run it for a while.

I'll do my best to describe my results in as much detail as possible. A picture is worth a thousand words but unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera. As far a comparing the relative throw of the BOG LED and SF P60 lamps, my back yard is just too small to perform a valid comparison. I'll be limited to subjective comparisons of relative brightness and beam quality.

CoffeeAchiever

Newly Enlightened
I'm signing off for a while, My notebook's battery is running low and I have some testing to do. I'll post my results this evening.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck said:
Will running the BOG/G&P 3 watt drop in at 9volts increase brightness?
I don't know about that module, but I can assure that the Turbo 3W module sold by Emilion is much brighter with two li-ion cells than with one; it's regulated at 4.2V and higher.

Latest posts