Fenix L1P unscathed by Washing Machine

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from a caving weekend and threw the muddy clothes into the washing machine. Thought I had everything removed from pockets, but the L1P (one of the backup lights) eluded discovery and went through a long cold water wash. When retrieved from the washing machine (still in its sheath) it was cold and wet, but lit up just fine, and there is no sign of water in the head or battery tube. Very nice little light!

greenLED

Flashaholic
time to repeat with hot water ;)
...then add some bleach

It really is cool to know the lights you have can take abuse like this.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my L1P in the coin pocket of my jeans. As careful as I try to be with pocket checks, mine recently had a warm water wash.

Came out very clean with no water inside. Obviously well designed and well made.

Mark

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened
I saw that you put your L1P through the wash and I wondered if you or anyone else sees the black finish wearing off? Mine has faded all over. NOw it's black on the ends with a faded middle section.

I just wondered because my newer L2P seems like it has a better finish and thought fenix may have improved the finish on all their lights.

The fenix doesn't take a beating especially well, but it's tough enough and modified or not, Johnny Cash Black or a bit faded, this is a nice light.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonnyD said:
I saw that you put your L1P through the wash and I wondered if you or anyone else sees the black finish wearing off? Mine has faded all over. NOw it's black on the ends with a faded middle section.

I just wondered because my newer L2P seems like it has a better finish and thought fenix may have improved the finish on all their lights.

The fenix doesn't take a beating especially well, but it's tough enough and modified or not, Johnny Cash Black or a bit faded, this is a nice light.

Although mine has not made the trip through the wash yet, the finish on it is unbelievably tough- just like HAIII should be. I think there is a lot of variation between quality of anodizing on these lights as I've seen numerous posts regarding poor quality HAIII when mine is tough as nails.

An example with mine: I installed a pocket clip from a Gerber Infinity Ultra (the old style extremely stiff spring steel) on my L1P. In the process, I had to remove and install it 6 or 8 times trying to get it adjusted properly. The surface of the HAIII had marks on it but never scratched through.

phosphor

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
Just got back from a caving weekend and threw the muddy clothes into the washing machine. Thought I had everything removed from pockets, but the L1P (one of the backup lights) eluded discovery and went through a long cold water wash. When retrieved from the washing machine (still in its sheath) it was cold and wet, but lit up just fine, and there is no sign of water in the head or battery tube. Very nice little light!
...you'll get a softer spill beam if you run the little Fenix through the dryer with a sheet of fabic softener !

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonnyD said:

Fortunately, I was smart enough :whistle: to leave the L1P in its sheath when I forgot about it and washed it, so not much opportunity for cosmetic damage. The exposed edges of the button end show no wear from the tub, though.

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Srvctec
lot of variation between quality of anodizing on these lights as I've seen numerous posts regarding poor quality HAIII when mine is tough as nails.

Is that blue ball next to your name located somewhere in your house? 'Cause it's very cool, and I am guessing it might have caused the finish on your lights to set in better than for CPF'ers who, for instance, don't have the ball.

Seriously, I'll bet you are right on about the variation. My newer L2P is darker black than the L2P ever was, I am almost positive, anyway, and it feels better.

I think it is telling that you used the word "unbelieveable" to describe the finish. I believe it, so there surely is a range of quality.
buttrock.gif

Last edited:

DonnyD

Newly Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
Fortunately, I was smart enough
rolleye11.gif
to leave the L1P in its sheath when I forgot about it and washed it, so not much opportunity for cosmetic damage. The exposed edges of the button end show no wear from the tub, though.

That was a good move to leave the cover on
icon14.gif
. Even so, it sounds like some fenix, like yours, for instance, are tougher than others, or they have been improved. Should I buy another, and compare?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
DonnyD said:
That was a good move to leave the cover on
icon14.gif
. Even so, it sounds like some fenix, like yours, for instance, are tougher than others, or they have been improved. Should I buy another, and compare?

Buy a couple more- it's the CPF mantra!:grin2: