Dangerous Things

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
I have just figured something out about myself and I've got a gut feeling that this is also the case for many other CPF members.

I'm attracted to dangerous things. The internet makes it possible to get many things that are considered dangerous. CPF is no exception. Many dangerous things are directly available on CPF and others can be found through CPF.

. Lasers that are so powerful that you can damage your eyes in a split second.

. Carbon arc, Xenon arc, lights that output so much UV radiation that they can cause a "sunburn" in seconds.

. Flashlights so bright they can be used as weapons.

. Batteries that can catch on fire and explode.

. Flashlights that are powered by atomic radiation.

The last one, tritium lights, are not really dangerous but as far as I can tell they are of questionable legality. As I understand, they are only supposed to be available to the police and military. The US government considers them a "frivolous" use of radioactive material. Yet, here on CPF, we can get them!

I guess what this means is that I am not only attracted to dangerous things but also things that you normally can't get. This is why so many laser companies in China and elsewhere are having such success selling to the USA.

The freedom we have to pursue such things here in the USA is to be cherished.

Another "thing" I have discovered is that you can buy all the necessary ingredients to make your own fireworks. This not only includes all the necessary chemicals, supplies and tools, but books and videos that explain how to do it (safely).

In the community of people who have the fireworks hobby, there is a great fear that the government will step in and outlaw it (consumer protection, homeland security, etc). Thus, I could not resist that temptation. At the same time, this hobby is both dangerous, and it may not be possible to get the materials in the future. I have constructed what could only be described as a giant chemistry set for adults.

If anyone else is interested in seeing what is available, I would suggest www.skylighter.com. They have also recently created a brand new auction site for the purpose of selling fireworks related items. Check it out!

In closing, I would like to add that I intend to pursue all of my new hobbies with great caution. I promise not to blind myself, burn myself, blow myself up or poison myself. I also promise to not release hazardous chemicals into the environment and I will never shine a laser (or any light) at an aircraft.

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
BatteryCharger said:
That's nothing...my other hobbies include molten metal, enormous engines, and explosives.
naughty.gif
Thats another thing that caught my attention. There's a seller on eBay that will sell you a small aluminum smelter that works off a propane tank like a backyard grill. It was about $360 plus shipping and you can make a gallon or so of molten aluminum with it.

Enormous engines sound cool. I've never worked on any thing like that but I do have some enormous wrenches just in case!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmmm, maybe you have a point. For relaxation I like to hike over rough terrain so I can spend a few days without modern conveniences (often in places heavily populated by bears and sometimes bobcats). However, unlike that Treadwell guy (what a headcase) I dont' try to make all nicey-nicey with the bears!

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
cyberhobo said:
The only dangerous things are some people.

There is a zoo with this sign in front of one of their cages, " You are looking at the most dangerous animal in the world!!!"

When you look inside the cage, there is nothing but a mirror in it.

dcarch8

CLHC

Flashaholic
dcarch8 said:
There is a zoo with this sign in front of one of their cages, " You are looking at the most dangerous animal in the world!!!"

When you look inside the cage, there is nothing but a mirror in it.
I remember this one that was in the Honolulu Zoo. We used to stand there as kids, trying to figue out what's up. . . :huh2: