ARC AAA Premium - O Ring fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my first ARC AAA P and I'm extremley happy / surprised at the diminutive size. I'd read they were smaller than they looked in pictures but it hadn't prepared me for just how small this tiny little light was.

Aaaaaaaaaaanyway (getting back to my point);

I read over the simple instructions, pulled the single AAA cell from the plastic and slipped it into the torch (flashlight sorry :D) Success!

However, I then noticed there was a rim of rubber (about .25 of a mm) around one edge of the light's bezel.

It seems that the O ring is ever so slightly oversized meaning rather than slipping inside the body of the light it seems that the body slices into it slightly, almost forming a skirt around the head of the flashlight.

I could easily trim this off with a scalple / pocket knife, but it looks as if the body might do it for me. My worry is however that day to day use will cause the O-Ring to bust open / split.

Is this a common occurance / feature of these lights? Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Minds_eye said:
However, I then noticed there was a rim of rubber (about .25 of a mm) around one edge of the light's bezel.

It seems that the O ring is ever so slightly oversized meaning rather than slipping inside the body of the light it seems that the body slices into it slightly, almost forming a skirt around the head of the flashlight.
(emphasis mine)
The bezel is the "business" side of the light, so I'm confused - there shouldn't be any rubber there. Are you talking about the foam pad that's on the bottom of the head (touching the battery)? If so, what you describe is normal and shouldn't affect functioning at all - in fact, it's there for a reason. Also, do you mean 2.5mm?

The o-ring around the head is, in fact, a wee-bit oversized to seal the light from the "elements". Keep it well lubricated with some silicone lubricant. It won't slip out of its groove as you tighten the head.

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened
I refer to the O-Ring on the head of the light (slightly above the foam pad).

When this is screwed into the body of the light containing the AAA cell the foam pad goes in normally, but the rim of the body tube starts to cut into the O-Ring on the head of the light.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Minds_eye said:
I refer to the O-Ring on the head of the light (slightly above the foam pad).

When this is screwed into the body of the light containing the AAA cell the foam pad goes in normally, but the rim of the body tube starts to cut into the O-Ring on the head of the light.

Are you able to get past the o-ring (although you can see the o-ring compressing a bit as you turn the head/tube), or does the body of the light pinch the o-ring and you can't turn the head (forcing the action would break the o-ring)? The first situation is normal, the second would not be.

A pic would help.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
got my arc-p AAA, about a month ago.

the other week i noticed a very thin slither of rubber protruding from the threads at the top so i unscrewed the head and found that a thin piece of rubber had been shaved of from the o-ring.

it was about 0.5mm by 7mm

I was just thinking about asking where i could get spare o-ring`s from a few hour before i read this thread.

I have only unscrewed the head a few times, and it does have silicon grease on it.

regards.

greenLED

Flashaholic
That settles it, I'd contact Arc to ask about this.
I've received spare foam pads from them, and I'm sure they'd provide o-rings if needed. Alternatively, you can go to a hardware store and buy replacements.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a close look at my arc-p aaa.

I removed the head and looked at the battery tube.

the lip of the battery tube is very sharp all the way round and can feel it by running my finger along it, maybe this is what shaved of the rubber.

regards.

Minds_eye

Newly Enlightened
It's pretty much identical to what Tinderbox (UK) describes;

I put it on and twisted it until the light came on, it was only afterwards whilst taking a closer look at the light I noticed that the O-Ring had been bitten into, causing a 1/4-1/2 mm section of rubber to protrude out the side of the light.

I'd also be interested in spare O-Rings, especially if they're shipped to Tinderbox or myself (as we're in the UK).

Status
Not open for further replies.