Mcdonalds: Does it taste the same in other countries?

Arkayne

Enlightened
I had McD's for the first time in months today. Yummmmmm, god I miss Big Macs! Anyway, I got to thinking, "I wonder if a Big Mac in China tastes the same?" (must have been the chemicals kicking in)

Have you had McDonalds in another country and did it taste the same as the US version?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I believe it does taste the same. That's why McDonald's restaurants are "worldwide" and want to give folks the same taste as back home. Remember the movie Memphis Belle?

Anyhow, just wondering Arkayne—Do they still serve those "hotdogs" at McDonald's in San Diego? Because they don't up here. They serve Saimin at the McD's in Hawaii and I always mix it with the french fries! :grin2: Man I miss that. . .

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
they might taste the same, but what about the size.

in US tv programs, the servings always look huge.

in the UK, you`d think we where still on the ration during the blitz in WW2.

regards.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
In my experience it is always the same ... which is grear! It allows you to avoid that strange local food and have something nice and real to eat ... :D :D

My experience so far:

Germany
USA
France
Czech Republic
Holland

bernie

P.S.: BUT ... I was shocked that you do not have the "McRib" in USA ... my favourite!

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, Northern_Lights—Welcome!

What's "poutine"?

And the "McRib" is none other than Spam! :wave:

carrot

Flashaholic
northern_lights said:
The McDonald's in Canada no longer have the pizza. We still have the poutine in Quebec however.

(Geez...I can't belive my first post on CPF is about poutine :ohgeez: )

I LOVE poutine. :D Not a bad first post! :laughing: Welcome to CPF!

CHC, poutine is fries covered in gravy and cheese curds. Artery clogging but delicious. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Last edited:

korpx

Newly Enlightened
I don't think they taste the same. Similar but not the same. I've tried McD in Sweden, Norway, Germany and Thailand. Had a tasty Samurai burger in Thailand

Kiessling

Flashaholic
CHC ... :nana: ... I am a real gourmet, you can trust me, the McRib is delicious! :)

And I have to relativate my statement in my post above ... as it only tastes the same if made correctly, of course! I had some of the worst burgers in Paris and Grenoble, they could have been called a crime :green:

bernie

cy

Flashaholic
I've had big mac's in China, like someone else said. simular but taste different. most things are spicer in China's version.

LaserFreak

Enlightened
If it does taste the same in other countries, than that just reminds me NOT to eat there...

The last time I ever bought a burger at Mcdonalds, I ordered a Double QP with Cheese. After I got about halfway through the burger, I set it down, only to notice literally a quarter sized glob of grease on my hand! BLECH!! I tossed the rest of the burger.

Since then I wouldn't touch a Mcdonalds burger if they were the only burger joint in the world.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I think they taste different from state to state here in the US. I couldn't imagine it being different in other countries. Here in the southwest you get the jalapeno option at fast food resturants. How could they all be the same?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
People have told me that Mickey D burgers taste different in Asia. Can't say for sure that I've noticed it. They tasted no different in Singapore, though the McD's there did have fried chicken. Didn't try them in Korea, cause there were plenty of Burger King's and Wendy's which were a preferred option to me. In Japan, my colleague said he tasted soy sauce; I couldn't say for sure, maybe I put too much catsup on it :). In the UK and Germany, I tasted no difference, except that they charge you for catsup (and just about anything else) in Germany. The McRib tasted the same in Germany as well, though the sauce tasted a little bland

Arkayne said:
I had McD's for the first time in months today. Yummmmmm, god I miss Big Macs! Anyway, I got to thinking, "I wonder if a Big Mac in China tastes the same?" (must have been the chemicals kicking in)

Have you had McDonalds in another country and did it taste the same as the US version?

Numbers

Enlightened
I always thought they tasted different anywhere outside of the NY metro area-- because they put mustard on them away from NY. Mustard is for Hot Dogs. Anyway I dont eat in Micky D's too much any more, what used to taste so good as a teenager tastes like @#$%^ now, and those cardboard fries are delish too.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The miracles of wide-angle lenses. :)
A Quarter Pounder in London does not differ from a Quarter Pounder in Oakbrook, Illinois (McDonald's World Headquarters.)

Perhaps you're referring to the regular "Hamburger" which is pretty much the size that burgers used to be about 50 years ago. They ... er... got super-sized. :) McDonald's used to sell those for 15¢ each and 7 for $1 (mid 60's).

TinderBox (UK) said:
they might taste the same, but what about the size.

in US tv programs, the servings always look huge.

in the UK, you`d think we where still on the ration during the blitz in WW2.

regards.

CLHC

Flashaholic
When I used to work at McDonald's Royal Hawaiian (years and years ago), I made sure that the sandwiches and french fries and all, look like the ones in the glossy pictures posted on the boards. Of course I always got "busted" by the managers for doing so. The way I saw it is I wanted to make sure that the customers got exactly what they were paying for. Those dayz are long gone. . .

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure we do. It was available here, years before it showed up in Germany. Unfortunately, it seems to cycle in and out here, so it isn't always on the menu. You'd think it was some sort of seasonal promotion or something.

On the other hand, I had some Chicken McNuggets at the Golden Arches restaurant (ground floor of McD's HQ at the time) in 1981. Later that week, I ordered the same thing at a McDonald's down the street at a local shopping center in Oakbrook. They looked at me like I was crazed or something. Turns out that Chicken McNuggets would not debut for another 2 years! :)

Golden Arches was an interesting version of a McDonalds. In addition to having items that weren't on the regular McD's menu, your order was cooked to order and brought to your table. It was also the first McD's that I had ever been in that served wine and beer.

Kiessling said:
BUT ... I was shocked that you do not have the "McRib" in USA ... my favourite!