Maglight K2 dropin

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diamond drop ins have been discussed, but I don't think they are out. The website shows them, but says shipping 2 weeks so I'm guessing they don't have them yet. I like the white led description: "High intensity discharge LED". Would that be an LED that lets out it's magic smoke with violence? heheh.

Anyways the red/amber ones say shipping 3-5 days, so perhaps they have those ones in stock now??!? Perhaps someone could email the store and see what they have in stock??

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
I think you have to be careful how you read the Diamond (Quality) site. I just purchased the new 100 lumen DB-3W from them. They said the really hot K2 140 lumen will not be out until the end of the year. It's confusing, but the one white K2 they have now is 100-120 lumen and Diamond told me (phone) that the DB-3W was just as bright. Anyway, the direct word I had from them is not until last of this year. I also read that same answer on a recent post from DiamondLED....I do not know which one right now. Also, not sure about red/amber... just white.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how hot the red ones run on 2 NiMH AA cells? Too hot for a cheap plastic light?

Will it even light up with only 2.4V?

Also, it says the cyans are a T bin and the greens are a U bin... those look interesting.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... but I'd probably be using them on 2 NiMH cells... at least the red one. I'd just be glad to be getting them that cheap! I'm sure they'll be brighter than the colored TLE-5s.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Here's some relevant threads you might want to take a look at:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/109682

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/110879

If I remember correctly, 2.4Vf is the forward voltage of red led's, but I don't know if red Lux led's have the same forward voltage as 5mm LED's and nobody in the other thread seems to know either. But even if that were so, I think a boost circuit would still be needed to maintain consistant voltage high enough to keep the light on.

I'm personally interested in a red K2 for a 2C or 2D Maglite, but it doesn't look like they'll work very well. Some people said it would need a driver, whatever that is. I assume they're referring to a voltage booster circuit.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've definately read those threads... As far as your wants, do you want a really bright red light, or do you want a decent amount of light in the 2C or 2D host? I think that if the red K2 Diamond bulb lights up at all, it would be decent with 2 alkaline cells.

I guess I'll just bite the bullet and order one of the red ones.