I love a flashlight nerd.

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
So...I don't know how many girlfriends of flashlight nerds post on here but yea.....I guess the upside is I'll never be without light. It's actually an ideal relationship. I bought him a Surefire U2 and he bought me a Tiffany's bracelet.

So are there any other gfs of nerds out there?

Last edited:

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't say she stands behind me 100% on my habit, but non-the-less she still wubs me, even though she rolls her eyes when I break out a new light.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Welcome! Stay long enough and you might just enjoy the hobby as much as your other half. Then get HIM to get you a Surefire U2 in return.

Now that you mention the U2, I think i remember the lucky guy announcing it on CPF sometime back...

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
Oh I do the eye roll too but mostly I just sorta look away. He thinks I'm going to stop loving him because he's obsessed with light but i won't because he's the best.

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
NotEnoughLight said:
Welcome! Stay long enough and you might just enjoy the hobby as much as your other half. Then get HIM to get you a Surefire U2 in return.

Now that you mention the U2, I think i remember the lucky guy announcing it on CPF sometime back...

Yup..that was me. I don't know if I will ever enjoy his hobby but I try.

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
Well, if one did stop loving the other over a hobby.....then her purse and shoe buying habbit would have to rank up there with my flashlights.

tdurand

Enlightened
I just got ridiculed for looking at pictures of everybody's EDC on another thread from my fiancee.

She just doesn't understand.

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
tdurand said:
I just got ridiculed for looking at pictures of everybody's EDC on another thread from my fiancee.

She just doesn't understand.

I don't think she should have ridiculed you but it is hard for us to understand your obsession with light just as I'm sure it's hard for you to understand our obsession with purses and shoes. :/

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Truezach said:
Well, if one did stop loving the other over a hobby.....then her purse and shoe buying habbit would have to rank up there with my flashlights.

Exactly!

I don't understand a lot of my wife's hobbies and she doesn't understand mine, but we do have a few that overlap.

She even bought me my Fenix L1P that arrived today from 4sevens! Not quite the price point of a U2, but means just as much to me as if it were.

Good for you Detective, and your man, it sounds like you've got a good relationship.:grin2:

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
In my view, it's a give and take kind of thing. Then everyone will be happy. There have been CPFers who have indicated that the best way was to allow the better half freedom to buy what he/she wants without interfering unless it gets in the way of supporting the family. Sounds like wise advice to me. :D

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
This may sound kinds......well....silly, but the only time I have seen my gf excited and having fun with a flashlight, was when we were lying in bed and she had my X1 and I had a RR 1.5 and we waved the strange looking circular orbs on the ceiling. Thats about the only time I think it brought a smile to her face, besides the fact she uses all my lights when we go caving in the Ozarks.

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
I smile when I see my bf get all excited over his flashlights. It's like watching a little boy looking at a Christmas Tree for the first time. It's cute...until he starts flinging it around and POW...I'm nearly blind.

Truezach

Newly Enlightened
Just hope his idea of romantic isn't setting up a bunch of led lanterns and random flashlights, instead of candles. I can just see the look on my gf's face if I did that. She would just bust up laughing. That may be a little over the edge.

frisco

Enlightened
OK guys!!!!!! Warning!!! Warning!!! Don't let her fool you!!!! She may sound supportive...... But those Blue Tiffany bags she is talking about are very expensive.... Way more than a few Surefires!!!!

But than in the big picture, I never got any Surefires for all the Blue bags I've bought!

OK.... before you get all riled up..... Glad to see you post here... very refreshing!

frisco

Delvance

Enlightened
My last gf couldn't understand my obsession with torches either...i seem to recall "dork/idiot" shot at me a few times heh...she didn't say anything when she lost her family pass me down diamond ring and i drove back to the last known location armed with lights looking for it though heh (twas past midnight at a beach).

detective de vries

Newly Enlightened
frisco said:
OK guys!!!!!! Warning!!! Warning!!! Don't let her fool you!!!! She may sound supportive...... But those Blue Tiffany bags she is talking about are very expensive.... Way more than a few Surefires!!!!

But than in the big picture, I never got any Surefires for all the Blue bags I've bought!

OK.... before you get all riled up..... Glad to see you post here... very refreshing!

frisco

I am totally supportive. The Tiffany's bracelet he gave me was the same price as the U2. I agree that for the most part the things I want are more expensive than the lights he wants but mostly I just want him to be happy. He is a truly great guy and he deserves all the flashlights in the world even if I don't understand it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It's NOT an obsession with light! It's merely trying to find the most correct tool that will do the job. A light can save your life or that of others or find that lost priceless/precious "hand me down" diamond ring that was dropped!

Again, one screwdriver is NOT expected to be able to do every job! One needs a variety of good tools (lights) that will perform and not fail when needed the most.

Now what's that bracelet going to do for anyone? Oh, uh..errr - I guess it allows us to buy more tools?!

Ok...I'm just being a "bump on the log" tonight - but really I've brought up some good points, eh?

And truthfully we know that some of us are indeed obsessed with smaller, brighter, longer running torches.

Just because I have several socket sets doesn't mean I'm obsessed with socket sets - I think? :thinking: