I got a Fenix L1P today!

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
This may be a boring post to most of you, since most of you seem to have a Fenix, but...

My Fenix L1P arrived today from Atlanta (thanks 4sevens). I had read overwhelmingly positive comments on these lights, so I felt it was a safe bet.

What a great light. The machining and anodizing on mine is fantastic. I'm really pleased with the light pattern, and the Eveready alkaline I fed it doesn't rattle at all. Now I need to get some NiMH AAs and a charger. The Luxeon in this one is the whitest LED that I have. Throughout the beam I see no hint of any other color.

The only complaint I have, and complaint is too strong a word here, is that the switch is a little easier to depress than I would like. It seems like it might come on in a pack or pocket, but time will tell. I would much rather have it a little too easy to engage than too hard though.

I like the sheath, it seems well made. What do you all do with the nylon D-ring on top? I was thinking of putting one of those small stainless clips on it so I could clip the light on for extra security, but otherwise I'm not sure what else it's good for. I can't see hanging it off of anything, unless it was very static like a hook on a wall.

I'm really bummed out that the moon is so close to full right now, and that we have the first clear night in over a week.:rant:

(Here comes my Oscars speech, for the "Flight of the Fenix") I would like to start off by thanking Fenix for making such a nice light, 4sevens for the opportunity to buy one, all of the flashaholics that spread the word, and last but definitely not least (start the hurry up and finish music here) my wonderful wife for giving me this light.

Delvance

Enlightened
:goodjob:

A fine addition! If you would like to bring it closer to perfection, consider doing the two stage (resistor) mod to it. My holster is the new one but doesn't have the D-ring for some reason...also purchased from 4sevens. Oh well, can't see how i'd use it either!

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Yea this is a great little light, and has become my new EDC. I just need to order a good holster for it now and I will be all set....I think a good holster might shed your fears of it getting accidently turned on in your pocket.

alberto

Enlightened
Delvance said:
:goodjob:

A fine addition! If you would like to bring it closer to perfection, consider doing the two stage (resistor) mod to it.

I agree.

I EDC mine in my pants pocket and have never had problems with the switch....because the 2-stage mod converts it to a nice safe twistie.

Last edited:

Buckeye

Enlightened
I've had my L1P for a month now. It stays in my back pocket and has not turned itself on. To make sure it does not come on by accident. I turn the light on and twist the cap until it turns off, a little less than a 1/4 turn, and then hit the switch to make sure it's off. I don't even know the light is in my pocket. Excellent light and I'm still using the first battery, an alkaline. I have rechargeable batteries when the first one dies. Welcome to CPF from another resident of "The city where pigs fly".

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
Yep the L1P is my EDC along with a Matterhorn. Its a great little light that fits perfect my my back pocket beside my wallet. I also have the hi-lo-resister mod and use mine as a twisty. To me this is the almost perfect flashlight, cost is low and it uses common batterys. You made a good choice.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Buckeye said:
I turn the light on and twist the cap until it turns off, a little less than a 1/4 turn, and then hit the switch to make sure it's off. I don't even know the light is in my pocket. Excellent light and I'm still using the first battery, an alkaline. I have rechargeable batteries when the first one dies. Welcome to CPF from another resident of "The city where pigs fly".

Flying pigs! It's hell on a cars finish to live in this city.

I had a guy take offense on another forum where I had my location listed as Porkopolis. He seemed to think it was some sort of political commentary.:crackup:

I did notice that the tail cap works like a lockout tail cap, so that's what I'll probably do if I drop it in a pack. Or take the battery out. The switch is probably not really a problem, but just something for me to worry about.

Re: the two stage mod. I may do that at some point. I can see where that is handy, but I like the simplicity of just pushing the button for a pocket light.

I carried it in the holster today just to see how it worked out. I ended up putting the lanyard through the d-ring and slipping the flashlight through the lanyard to secure it. Kind of a pain if you want to use it frequently, but more secure. I would prefer a sheath with a nice Lift-a-dot snap. I hate velcro, but like a secure flap.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I almost forgot. Is there a way to tell if the lens actually has an AR coating or not? I was under the impression that an AR coating made the lens look like it had a slight tint to it in certain light. I know I read a method for checking this somewhere on CPF, but couldn't find it by searching yesterday. "AR" is too short, as is "UCL." "Lens" and "coating," were a little too broad.

Nic

Newly Enlightened
Alloy Addict said:
I almost forgot. Is there a way to tell if the lens actually has an AR coating or not? I was under the impression that an AR coating made the lens look like it had a slight tint to it in certain light. I know I read a method for checking this somewhere on CPF, but couldn't find it by searching yesterday. "AR" is too short, as is "UCL." "Lens" and "coating," were a little too broad.
Anti-Reflection (AR) coating is easy to spot as true to it's name it reduces any light reflecting from the lens surface. If you look at the lens while tilting into a light source you will notice a faint purple tint on the surface. I know my L1P has it.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you wiped it off, the AR coating should be bluish. The lens IS double coated and you really only need the coating from the inside.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I thought there should be a blue/violet tint to the glass, but I wasn't sure. Mine looks clear with not tint.:thinking: I'm not sure what to think about that.

I don't think I could have wiped it off. The only thing I've wiped the lens with is a clean cotton t-shirt, and if the coating won't hold up to that it isn't worth much to me.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
GarageBoy said:
Unless you wiped it off, the AR coating should be bluish. The lens IS double coated and you really only need the coating from the inside.

Thats not true. Reflection occurs at both air/glass interfaces - the inside and outside to roughly equal degrees. Having only the inside of the lens anti-reflection coated will give only about half the improvement of having both sides coated. Even so, the difference between a multicoated front and rear lens, and one not coated, will only be a difficult to detect 9%..

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I've been into collecting vintage cameras for many years. I've seen coating damages all the time, some from just wiping. Having the interior side coated only like SF does allows maximum output out, but you don't worry too much about light going back into the light, right? Thanks

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
wasBlinded said:
... Even so, the difference between a multicoated front and rear lens, and one not coated, will only be a difficult to detect 9%..

So this means that 9 out of 10 times it should be obvious that the lens has an AR coating?

dca2

Enlightened
I got mine yesterday also (actually tomorrow from your yesterday) All I can say is COOL! It replaced my E2e for edc. Now, when my Triton and Jetbeam come in, I'll have a dillema! I haven't told my wife yet but I was just following the great advice from this forum: If you can't decide, get 'em all.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i think the 9% being referred to is the difference between a double-sided AR coating compared to a single-sided AR coating.

with camera filters, you can tell whether hte filter has a coating by angling it to a light source, and at a certain angle the light source reflected back will have a tint, usually purplish but may be other tints as well. i've found it hard to find this angle with a flashlight because, of course, you have the reflector & led on the other side and won't have access to all angles.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
I guess I'll try not to worry about it one way or another. If the specs didn't say AR coating I would be very thrilled with the L1P so it seems like a minor thing I guess. The Luxeon on it has the best color of any of my LEDs and that seems more important.