My impressions of the new Inova X1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCblur

Enlightened
I saw on flashlightreviews.com a week ago that the Inova X1 was being retooled to feature a reflector instead of an optic. I hated the old X1 for its lack of any sidespill, but I decided to pick up one of the new versions when I saw them at target for a mere twenty dollars. I thought it would be nice to have a small pocket LED that would run on AA's, since everything I currently own takes 123's.

I must say that I am very impressed with this little light, and that's coming from a Surefire snob. Now I haven't ever held a Fenix for comparison, but this little guy is very compact, and very narrow compared to my smallest 123 light (a SF E1E). The X1's single LED gives out a very nice smooth and floody beam that is very comparable to my white A2 LED's in terms of output. In fact, it is almost identical to my A2 LED's for output and throw, and is very slightly higher in color temperature, approaching the blue side.

The smoothness off this minimalist little light makes it very easy to slip into my jacket pocket, and it makes an absolutely perfect companion to a bigger brighter light. The construction is very good, very solid. Heavy enough to feel well made, but not too much. I must say, at almost ten hours of runtime on a cheap AA, I don't feel guilty using this light all the time like I sometimes do with my SF's. Yeah, that's right, I have runtime guilt. Seeing how I have not yet been born again as a rechargeable flashaholic, I can be somewhat sparing with my use of lights as I imagine the pennies flying out of my bezel every second it's on. However with this little beauty, I don't give it a second thought. For these reason's, this light has almost become my new EDC in place of my E2e or E1L. Unfortunately it's not quite bright enough to serve all of my outdoor purposes or those times when I need some decent output, but it's great at what it does.

I would definitely recommend this little guy (in case that wasn't obvious) to anybody who was looking for another light (who isn't, right?). I am looking forward to taking this light camping, as I see it being extremely useful for common tent chores, reading, trips to the bathroom, etc. Kudos to Inova for swapping the optics in the X1 for a reflector, and making what was an otherwise useless light into one of my new little favorites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.