Is there such a thing as "the PERFECT EDC?

willtut2005

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight quest to find the perfect edc and/or high power work light is equal to if not worse than a drug addition.I'm spending more money than i ever did with (?).My question i have for you alcholics i mean flashlight collectors is: Has there been a flashlight (EDC) ,besides $ issue,that stoppped your quest? Personally,i dont think its possible.Try to pick your favorite for all to see &help me end my (worse than drug addiction)regards,

Lumenz

Enlightened
willtut2005 said:
This flashlight quest to find the perfect edc and/or high power work light is equal to if not worse than a drug addition.I'm spending more money than i ever did with (?).My question i have for you alcholics i mean flashlight collectors is: Has there been a flashlight (EDC) ,besides $ issue,that stoppped your quest? Personally,i dont think its possible.Try to pick your favorite for all to see &help me end my (worse than drug addiction)regards,
Everyone has their own idea of what an EDC is. For example, when I am at work and wearing slacks, my EDC is my Arc-P since I can just toss it in my pocket and no one knows it is there. However, when I am wearing jeans I can take my Fenix L1P or Nuwai Q-3 with me since I am not too worried about "unsightly bulges" or a light hanging off my belt.

Plus, my EDC is based on me being a System Administrator--I mostly use a flashlight for working on computers. Security guards or police officers, for example, would have a different idea of what an EDC is. So what you need to do is find out what would be the best light for your needs... or in a flashoholic sense... wants.

Is it size? Output? Runtime? Color? Tint? All flashlights have their place. It's just a matter of where you place them.

:naughty:

willtut2005

Newly Enlightened
you have a good point.im an hvac installer myself ,so i would be interested in in lights around 6 inches or less,however,@6 5/8'' the laser-devices op9 is sweet,but alittle costly taking (3)123's&1 hr runtime.so,for the blue collar workers,which is your favorite?O.k.,top two.I NEEEEED TO KNOW.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PERFECT EDC would have to be something practical for you needs and
that you feel comfortable carrying around with you.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect?? Nah, not possible. You can come close, but there will always be a time sooner or later that you need something different.

photorob

Enlightened
I don't really purchase multiple flashlights because I need them. It can be related to any product that a guy gets into, from watches to knives to cars. They are all related. I see it as more of an interest in well machined products. I don't buy the crappie lights. My interest are only in products that have had large amounts of R&D. Something that has the best parts and materials. I am a newb though. I have yet to pass the $200 mark. I just can't fathom that price. I am a photographer and am us-to buying very high priced items, but they make me money. I can honestly say though that I have written four flashlights so far. So maybe they are worth it. MY work edc is a KL4 with VG FB1 with rechargeable and a KL1 e1L with rechargeable. I have actually used them to paint photos before. This set up Though is in my bag not in my pocket. They although take turns in my pocket. This setup is unstoppable. It is a little to bright sometimes though, but that is what the defuser is for. I am only using these lights for only momentary on off. so the runtime is fine with me. Does anyone have runtime graphs for these two setups.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the perfect EDC, I have a couple obervations...

First, it would definately vary with the user. I mean, right off the bat, is the issue of size. I think most folks would want a single cell light, size-wise but others want a larger 'easier to grip' and 'easier to turn off and on' light which is likely to mean at least 2x123 size.

Next observation is, even when you run across what you feel is your ultimate EDC, with time, you'll want it to be improved... More brightness with no sacrifice in runtime or longer runtime.

Between these two issues, which is a great oversimplification of all the things that go into such a decision, is why many of us carry more than one light or alternate between a few different light.

Of course, the McLux PD sure seems awfully close to the perfect EDC to me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For my minimal needs I want one that uses one AAA and will comfortably ride in my front pant's pocket. At this point, and for the last three years, it's been an Arc AAA. Right now I'd only consider a new Arc for a change.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
Some people will find one-celled lights a perfect EDC. So far, not me. I find I really like the brightness and runtime (in general -- of course there are a few exceptions) you get from a bigger light, as well as being easier to grip, as cratz2 mentioned. If there's only one light I EDC it will undoubtedly be the Surefire A2 -- a comfortable size to grip and dual outputs. I have yet to try a McLuxIII-PD (or even HDS EDC) but I am convinced that they could not replace the A2 for me. I love the combination of aggressive knurling, simple dual-stage activation, and a blend of incandescent and LED.

I could definitely stop my flashlight purchases at the A2 but there are so many other lights (not necessarily "better," but certainly different) out there that I'd feel like I'm missing out on something.

Anyhow, I EDC multiple lights because I simply can't choose which ones to leave at home and which to carry. :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Closest to perfect EDC right now, I'm not alone on this, McLux PD.....

Nice 2 stage twisty head, Piston Drive for momentary. The best clip EVER on a light period. 41 hours runtime on low, 100 minutes on high.

Close to perfect, but nothing is absolutley perfect.

(Besides the WWF legend, Mr. Perfect of course).
453262.jpg

Longbow

Enlightened
Like the "Man In Black" says "I don't care if I do I do I do" think the Fenix L2P comes close to being the perfect EDC light. :)

Last edited:

Wolfgang_Ludwig

Newly Enlightened
Is there such a thing as "the PERFECT EDC? Yes, the one you have right now. The best way to be healed of flash/car/lighter/tool/watch/knive/and what ever-aoholism is: Sell it all or better give it away. Just keep the rather chaep and common things. For example keep a Peak Matterhorn on your keyring and a UK4AA in your car, a SwissArmyKnife in your pocket and the old leatherman in your daypack. A bic lighter will do it and the fisherpen is nice luxury. Forget about highend. And leave this forum unattended for at least three years. Then and not too early buy the fuelcellstuff at your next walmart. Possible result may be plenty of time for your wife and children or forjust playing piano. These things count! Why not dematerialize your life.
NOTHING IS PERFECT