Kroma beamshots?

bippidie

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering the purchase of the SF L5, but the kroma's caught my eye with it's 60 lumen rating and slightly smaller size.

a) With a Lux III, is this led being overdriven (assuming a T bin)?
b) Has anyone who attended the Shot Show 06 or handled the Kroma been able to check out its beam pattern and perceived brightness and correlate that with any of the other luxeon SF's? Perhaps Al can chime in?

Thanks in advance.
bippidie

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
bippidie,

Lux III's have improved enough that it is possible to get 60 lumens out of them, probably even with SF's conservative figures. Given that the Kroma might not be available until the fall, there might be even better bins available that could go into this model.

I think Al posted in a thread on the Kroma that its beam is similar to the P60 in throw and spill even though it is an optic. He said the beam from the red and blue LEDs was more diffused than the colored LEDs on A2's.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire rep told me that the Kroma's main beam will be a flood. Bummer for me anyway, I was looking for a mega thrower that I could but a diffuser on when needed. I have my KL3 GenII though.....

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Kroma at the SHOT Show I saw were not "Flood" beams.
They were similar to the P60 beam in that the centre was intense and then there was a blended surround beam. Certainly more like a P60 or MN03 than an A2. Not like any other "TIR" optic beam SureFire have yet released.

The main beam output is 60 lumens which is less than the LuxeonV SureFires but with a two-hour runtime SureFire are not intending for the Kroma to be pushing the output limits of the LuxeonIII.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good news to hear. It looked like the extra space around the dome of the optic might allow for some spill or secondary corona. How large was this "spill" Al?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The beam was good enough for me to want a Kroma even though I have no use for the surrounding red & blue LEDs.
You're right - the TIR optic is being given room to spill as it were.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
Al,

Thanks for the firsthand update. It is much appreciated.

I am anxiously awaiting the day I will have one of my own to use.

Regards,
John

Size15's

Flashaholic
This thread is not for discussion of the various capabilities of [Sony] camcorders.

The Kroma does not have IR or UV LEDs so that line of discussion is way off-topic.