New SF U2 won't accept 18650's

helios

Newly Enlightened
I bought a new SF U2 and it has that dreaded plastic sleeve in it. Well, I bought it specifically to use with 18650's so I began the process of removing the sleeve.

Here's what I tried to get the sleeve out:

1. Tried freezing it and using a bottle stopper, no way!
2. Tried acetone to soften the glue, forget it!
3. Tried a dowel for a better friction grip, not a chance!
4. Tried prying it out with a knife, knife broke!

This sleeve is evenly glued all the way around the tube. Seems like the only quality control at SF is the sleeve glueing person. Really irritating since it has a donut, green tint, lint in the reflector and an iffy clickie.

Any suggestions before I give up?
Thanks.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch...

surefire is starting to make me think they don't know what they are doing... no body wants a kroma ... its over complicated and isn't even as bright as the U2

most people want small, bright, intellgent lights... if it wasn't for hds and others we would be up a creek.... i was flipping through the 2006 catalog and i was stunned that they are still using nimh... li-ions provide so much more... and now if they are trying to make it so that the u2 can't except the 18650's thats just rediculous...

another funny part of the new catalog is the fact they continually show people in a cave using sf flashlights... all the serious cavers i know mainly use headlamps... oh thats right... surefire doesn't make a headlamp :p...

sorry this turned into a surefire rant... ;)

i would say send it back... thats too many 'iffy' things on a $200+ flashlight

helios

Newly Enlightened
I know what you mean. I had a Dominator and it still used NiCds! Thats one step up from a lead acid (well, one from alkalines at least). I'm stuck with this U2 since I nicked it up a little on the inside trying to pry that sleeve out. I even tried a mini-butane torch to warm up the plastic and the sleeve did slide up about 10mm but then promptly stopped. Can this thing actually have some sort of mechanical retention? Feels like its locked onto undercuts...

Must not give up, must not crush U2, must not shoot U2...

carrot

Flashaholic
It's suspected that Surefire still uses NiCd because it is a more 'robust' battery than NiMH, Li-ion, and Li-poly.

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
READ MY POST IN THIS THREAD ,
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1319192#post1319192

my S/N is very close to yours ...this worked great!!!

helios said:
I bought a new SF U2 and it has that dreaded plastic sleeve in it. Well, I bought it specifically to use with 18650's so I began the process of removing the sleeve.

Here's what I tried to get the sleeve out:

1. Tried freezing it and using a bottle stopper, no way!
2. Tried acetone to soften the glue, forget it!
3. Tried a dowel for a better friction grip, not a chance!
4. Tried prying it out with a knife, knife broke!

This sleeve is evenly glued all the way around the tube. Seems like the only quality control at SF is the sleeve glueing person. Really irritating since it has a donut, green tint, lint in the reflector and an iffy clickie.

Any suggestions before I give up?
Thanks.

Last edited:

David1

Newly Enlightened
Try the freezer again. Make sure the bezel and tailcap are off, leave it in for 15 or 20 min. Take out, secure in a vise, find the smallest screwdriver you have and find an edge on the rear of the tube( you have to push it out through the front) take a hammer and tap the screwdriver a couple of times. It should pop out the front enough that you can grab it with a pliers.

helios

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys!
I used acetone and let it sit for about 2 hours, tough to do since I'm kinda impatient, and then hit it with some canned refrigerant (Thanks tenmmike), took some pliers and pulled with everything I had. It came out a millimeter at a time. Took about 10 minutes of constant pressure to finally free it!

Popped in an 18650 with a small magnet on the positive end and it works great. Can't wait to try it out while on patrol tomorrow night.

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great that you got it out, Helios!

I guess it's clear that everyone's U2 is a little different regarding the plastic sleeve. Mine came out without effort by putting it in the freezer. When I take a look inside the body, I can tell that only about a third of the surface area had evidence of glue.... which probably explains why mine was so easy.

Enjoy your guilt-free lumens! :thumbsup:

WP

dougmccoy

Enlightened
As the guys from Surefire read this forum I'm pretty sure that they know that lots of you want to go the rechargeable route. Why then have they changed the design to make it so difficult for folks to remove the plastic sleeve?

Doug

spyderknut

Enlightened
I am still working on mine. Vise does not sound safe to me. Where is a banging my head against the wall smilie when I need one? :banghead: Ah, there it is. I am gonna have to get some of that freezing compound....

Last edited:

Flakey

Enlightened
i just removed my u2 plastic sleve last night, here is my secret. after trying heat cold and all kinds of stuff i grabbed a small flathead screwdriver and jammed it inbetween the plastic sleve and the alluminum on the bezl side of the tube. i then worked the screwdriver all the way around and i managed to pry that ******* out!! they used ALOT of glue in mine! anyway my plastic tube is totally busted but i dont care i didnt plan on using it anymore anyway. cheers and good luck!

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
the freezing with the zep freez has worked now on 8 different U-2 IN THE PAST 11/2 MONTH , SPRAY THE HELL OUT OF THE LINER while the body is room temp, they have all just slid out with finger pressure, i think yall should not use any sort of solvent as i believe it may cause some swelling of sleeve( i could be wrong here but the people that have used the solvent and cold were the only ones so far that havent just pushed out) hope this helps

spyderknut

Enlightened
Too late for the no-solvent fix. Mine has been soaking in acetone for 2 days! Any idea where I can pick up Zep-freeze? Home Depot and 2 auto-parts stores just looked at me like I was crazy.