Phishing Messages May Include Highly-Personalized Information (NEW)

cy

Flashaholic
Phishing Messages May Include Highly-Personalized Information (NEW)

email messages with your full name may be a scam...

"Phishing messages are becoming increasingly personalized in attempts to convince the recipients to trust originators of the messages. A phishing email recently submitted to us illustrates this trend. In this case, the message that arrived in the victim's inbox included the person's full name and postal address:"

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1194

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm constantly getting emails from Chase (not really Chase) wanting me to link and log in to verify my information.
No chance!

cy

Flashaholic
me too, what so scary is according to the old standard used by paypal. it's not a real email from paypal unless msg has your full name.

now scams come complete your full name.... wonder if some of that info come from well published credit card data being compromised?

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other day I received one classic paypal phishing mail, but this time with a twist:

the main links were real paypal servers and valid pages, BUT, all the other links in the mail, the ones that usually point to privacy, terms, etc, were directed to the bogus server.

beware!

Pablo

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ChocolateLab33 said:
I'm constantly getting emails from Chase (not really Chase) wanting me to link and log in to verify my information.
No chance!
funny you mention chase.
chase just borged bank one here.
a day after the new signs went up i got 5 phishing emails supposedly from chase.
total of 19 in a week.
a good safe rule is to autodelete anything with a bank name in it and pay close attention to your accounts.if youy must log in close all browsers first and start a new session.ignore links in emails!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I"ve been getting more of these lately than usual. It's a dead giveaway when they come from somewhere you dont hav an account ;) I got one yesterday from "JP Morgan" and I have no account with them, I'm not even sure who they are...

So some are getting sophisticated by putting in your full name huh. They might work better if they checked their grammar with a native english speaker and ran the email through the spell checker before sending out a bazillion of them ;)

But again, one just has to remember that it doesn't matter how real an email from your bank looks. You never ever ever click a login link from an email. It doesn't matter how real it looks, it's not ever real. You dont need to try to evaluate the realness of such an email THEY ARE ALWAYS FAKE. Didn't I just post this like yesterday in another thread? Repeat to your self, EVERY email you get asking you to login by clicking here is an attempt to steal your info. EVERY LAST ONE! If you feel that you might need to actually log into paypal or your bank then go to your browser and type the address in manually. There is NEVER anything magical about a login link in an email that will get you somewhere that logging in manually wont.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
ChocolateLab33 said:
No chance!
Me too. They immediately go to the trash bin unopened.

Latest posts