How to be a n00b on a forum

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just starting on a forum and wanted to know the to-do's and te not to-do's. It's not a flashlight forum but if it was do I just wade in with a bunch of posts or take it slow and what?

Feedback? :)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
To be a newbie.....

Right way or wrong way?

Wrong way: Read none of the archive. Don't read the faq. Post on every thread even if it's just to say hello. Post questions that you could answer with a quick google search. Be indignant if people suggest that you read the faq, the archive or try google.

Right way. The way you started on CPF.

:)

Daniel

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be a n00b replied with the following message to any post:

LOLZZZZXX! ph3ar m3 for i am the sm4rt35t h3r3!!! n00bs!!! H4H4H44 n00bs sh0uld n0t p05t h3r3!! g0 p05t 4t your n00b f0rumzz!

Lightmeup

Enlightened
Yeah, probably the main point is to use the search function to avoid asking the dumb noob questions that usually come up. Like when people come here and post stuff like "What does NiMH mean?"

Delvance

Enlightened
Hahaha Chesterqw. You forgot the ending
!!!1!11!!!1!one!11one!!!!!one!
though hehe.

Pretty much what the others posted.
Stuff like using the search function/google first. Always be courteous. Help someone if you can and have the time. Post in appropriate areas. Give something back once in awhile maybe ?

:shrug:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
All forums are not the same, each seems to have its own flavor or culture. Probably one of the best things a newbie can do is acquaint himself with that culture and see if it suits him or not before joining or posting much.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zigzago said:
If you start a thread, give it a more descriptive title than "HELP ME!"
YES. And don't forget those wonderful "So what do you guys think about this?" ones.
I try to search and go through posts manually before asking a question, but sometimes that doesn't stop me from missing an obvious answer or double posting.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personal attacks might be the way to go. If it's a forum for douche-a-holics, let them know how pointless douches are and that you think douche collecting is for birds. If it's a classical music forum, let 'em all know how boring you thing the stuff is and make bold opening post like, "Ok folks, this is a great forum.... but I think it's time we all move on to something more contemporary. Anybody with me?"

Man, I could do this all day....

Ok, ok, I know this is not what was being asked. My real answer would be to just be honest. Be yourself.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Common sense and common courtesy.

Read for awhile and see how things are run.

You'll pick up on it quickly and know if it's for you or not.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eric_M said:
Common sense and common courtesy.

Read for awhile and see how things are run.

You'll pick up on it quickly and know if it's for you or not.

Well said!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for the useful input. I'm working on becoming a mod at another forum and appreciate all the tips :)

Bob_G

Enlightened
  • Use all caps.
  • Figure out who the smart guys are and insult them for being know-it-alls.
  • Post lots of half-baked opinions and innuendo and then refuse to back them up with facts.
  • Insult the mods regularly.
  • Spend some time reading through the archives to discover what the most commonly asked questions are, then ask them all again.
  • Use a 300K animated sig that takes up half a page.
  • Hit yourself on the big toe with a hammer before posting to aid in the proper attitude - rotate toes as necessary.
  • Don't take any crap from the regulars.

That should get you started

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
leukos said:
All forums are not the same, each seems to have its own flavor or culture. Probably one of the best things a newbie can do is acquaint himself with that culture and see if it suits him or not before joining or posting much.

True, but more and more fora (at least the ones I frequent) are members-only, so in order to read, you've got to join and sign in just to read, search, or even see the topic areas.

Kiessling said:
Don't start with a thread like "Hello! New to the forum and want to say hello ..."

On some fora this is mandatory for new members. Again, cleave to the FAQs in the new environment. Thankfully CPF remains open for members and non-members alike, and has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for this tyro!