Lighthounds MXDL 9 LED light?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am heading to a hunt camp with 6 kids, on a non-hunting related trip, I have taken it upon myself to supply the little fellows with new lights for or 7 day no electricity trip..
I am leaning towards this one..
http://www.lighthound.com/images/china/MDXL_9LED_3AAA.jpg
Cost is important, runtime is fairly important, and durability is ranking right up there.. The kids are aged from 2 to 5.

Anybody own one? I was just looking for some feedback on it.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
That does seem like a pretty good deal!
Lighthound has what appears to be the same light but in 12 LED right beside the one I am looking at.. :)

*edit* I just realized it was two lights for that price.. WOW!
Another reason I am leaning in the direction of Lighthounds (besides his outstanding reputation with customer service) is the different colors available, may help keep the kids from tearing each other apart.. :)

Last edited:

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
wquiles said:
I "just" ordered that light (in RED) for my daugther not 10 minutes ago and then found this thread ;)

Will

Shoot me some feedback when it comes.. :)
I like the idea of plastic for this particular application..

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Another option might be the Xnova 8 LED which is sold at LightHound and by DAE at http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/ $4.39 shipped (if you buy 5 or more). I bought 10 of these and am very impressed by the quality. I like that they run off of AA rather than AAA batteries.

A review of the earlier version of these can be found at.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/sz_8led_1aa.htm

I should also mention that the AXSHOP lights are available in 3 colors. But be warned, shipping times of a month are not uncommon.

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've made several purchased from Axshop, and their stuff is generally of low quality,,, prices are great however. The main problem I've had with the AXshop multi-led lights is that I think the led's are not matched at all, so when you put a direct drive 3AAA 4.5 volts into the head, all is fine for a while, then the weakest heats up, burns out, and leaves the remaining with more current and they blow.... happened w several AX shop 3AAA multi led lights.

Also the buy one get one free says it expired 3/15. I did buy several lights from them 2 days ago, but not the multi-led lights.

Correction: Actually the multi led burnout problem has only occurred with the 9 led 3AAA lights I've purchased from AX shop. I have 2 of the 28 led lights and no problem with those (maybe the greater number loads the 3AAA batteries enough to keep them from burning out).

If cost is a serious issue I think I'd avoid the 3AAA lights, even on sale they usually cost 50c each or so, AA's are usually much cheaper.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pydpiper said:
Shoot me some feedback when it comes.. :)
I like the idea of plastic for this particular application..
Please post here or make a thread, I'm still curious as well.

bruddamoke

Newly Enlightened
I would also recommend the Xnova 8 led light from Lighthound over the MXDL. I have not owned or used the MXDL, but guessing that it uses a battery carrier, which is another thing that can get lost, and also requires proper battery alignment (and carrier alignment).

Again guessing, but pretty sure that runtime on the MXDL should be similar to that of the Xnova. Given that you are out there 6 days, you will need a LOT of batteries. You will need less packs of AA with the Xnova vs the AAAs with the MXDL.

I'm not sure how much time you have and any restrictions on cost, but another possible alternative is to buy some PR-based SMJLEDs being sold at about $10 each, and buying some sub-$1 2aa flashlights (with batts!) at Walmart. I have a couple of them, and they run long time, maybe 3 times as long by my rough guess. The PR-SMJLED also sucks every last bit of power out of the batteries. Slip the same bulb into a similarly cheap plastic 2D light and a single set of batts should satisfy your needs for the entire trip. Since you will probably be using primaries (no electricity) cost will be about the same in total.

Did not search for the link in the event you were not interested, but if you are, PM me and I can help you find the links and possibly take some pics of the bulb and flashlight I use.

OK, I really should get back to work. :whistle:

flashlife

Enlightened
Pyd...
I'd also recommend the Xnova-8 over the MXDL-9. Mainly for runtime and battery considerations. I own the MXDL and measured the runtime (with new Energizers) at 1.5 hr to 50% brightness.
The Xnova runtime chart at:
shows about 2.1 hrs...not too much difference but the Xnova only uses one battery...and 1xAA is cheaper than 3xAAA every 4 hours or so.

Good Luck with all those tikes! Hope you have some other adult help out there in the boonies. :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had the Xnova AA torch for a while and it's great and compact etc, but surely the MXDL 9 LED light will have a greater output and if you plan to be out doors :)ohgeez:) you may think that output is a useful factor.Only kidding!

But seriously the Xnova is fantastic and would be fine for in tent illumination but not so good at exterior nighttime pursuits, going to the loo, frightening wolves, noticing ravines etc...

I would feel more comforted by the MXDL - you'll just have to get lots of batteries. I don't feel that cheapness should be your byword when venturing out with 6 Tykes into the wilderness!!!!

Good luck!!

...and don't call me Shirley!...

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlife said:
shows about 2.1 hrs...
I just did my own runtime test on some of Dae's new Xnova 8's. Mine behave like the Ghost II's tested: 50+ cd initial brightness, 5.5 hours to 50%, runs 11+ hours to about 38%.
I think the longer run times are actually even better for kids and general use, current lights run a LOT longer. Nice quality and seem pretty reliable so far.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights will be used for trips to the outhouse, and knowing these little ones tag in the dark outside and in..
Each set of kids will have their corresponding parents, plus one set of grandparents to go around.. It's my father in laws hunt camp, both his sons and daughter (my wife) will be there..
My kids obviously have their own lights, terrific ones but in fairness I would like them all to have something equal.. Plus, I am going to let the others keep the new ones.. I am a big believer in a light being attached to a story, they should enjoy them when they get home too.
I am apprehensive about the aluminum, only because there are two 2 year olds, my daughter being one of them, she uses aluminum lights daily, but her cousin is a bit behind in that aspect.. I can see aluminum lights being a trip to the emergency room with some of the others. :ohgeez:
I just want everyone happy and safe, with a light. :)

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Pydpiper said:
I can see aluminum lights being a trip to the emergency room with some of the others.
How is that? Are some of them violent?

The 9 LED aluminum lights are relatively small (3.5" long X 1" wide), and it seems like they would make for a very poor weapon.

wquiles

Flashaholic
flashlife said:
Pyd...
I'd also recommend the Xnova-8 over the MXDL-9. Mainly for runtime and battery considerations. I own the MXDL and measured the runtime (with new Energizers) at 1.5 hr to 50% brightness.
shows about 2.1 hrs...not too much difference but the Xnova only uses one battery...and 1xAA is cheaper than 3xAAA every 4 hours or so.

Good Luck with all those tikes! Hope you have some other adult help out there in the boonies. :)
Yes, I have a few of these AA lights as well.

They are not completely 2-year old proof. My daugther has managed to damaged one already by droping on the concrete floor, and remember she is little and not tall ;)

The problem with the Xnova is between the head and the body. It makes contact on the blob of solder, which gets worn with use (screwing in/out).

I am hoping that this new MXDL will pass my daugther's test :D

Will

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
You might want to look over this Sears light as an alternative choice: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111597

I saw this light (Sear again) at my local store for $12.99 again last Friday.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94800&highlight=Sears

I'll make this an all Sears post by mentioning they also have a decent 3D incandescent on sale for under $7.00:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...pid=03493105000&subcat=Flashlights+&+Lanterns

I know these light are a little more expensive, but Sears does back their tools quite well (lifetime in some cases).

Regards,
Greg

Have an enjoyable and safe trip!