SureFire U2 Ultra Questions.....

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
Questions such as: Lumens per level? Battery life? Is $279 worth it?

I'm more or less looking for a review of the light.

Thanks!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a load of info and opinions of the U2 on this forum, but unfortunately, it's hard to find without sifting through every page, since the search function won't recognize a paramater as small as "U2".

For a review (wonderful website all around), check here.

a99raptors

Enlightened
I own a U2 for several months now. And I actually paid double the price due to the local dealer here.

Anyway, flashlightreviews.com has a good review of it, but it wasn't until I actually played with the light in person that got me hooked on it. The focus is really good considering I was very unhappy with the range on the SF L2. The lowest light is definitely useful for a lot of applications. It can also be converted to a rechargeable, which I have. It is an excellent all round light.

Consider this though: It's big for a 2 cell. For the same output, incandescents do a pretty good job at about half the bulk. You might not want to carry it with you all the time in your pockets (which is why sometimes I opt for the E2d). BUT you get a reliable LED, tactical level light output, rechargeable option, and enough light to last 40 hours of darkness at the lowest setting.

I believe that overall, if you can afford it and you want an all around light, get it. But see if you can use it in person first before buying.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
a good place to start for reviews are, in no particular order, http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/u2.htm, http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/Surefire%20U2.htm, and http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_u2.htm.

i think general battery life is on those sites, and the good thing about the U2 is that its body is (usually) wide enough to accept 18650 li-on batteries. These are rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, and provide "free lumens" at the very slight cost of about a 10% drop in brightest output (barely noticeable by the eye). i say "usually" because the newer U2s seem to have plastic inserts in the bodies which prevent the use of the fatter 18650 batteries and require variable amounts of effort to remove them. this will mostly be a concern if you plan to use 18650 batts in your U2 though.

check around the dealers and B/S/T sections of this forum. you can probably find better prices around. in the dealer's section there is a sticky thread by GreenLED called "CPF Specials ..." you can find a number of deals there. I recommend either OpticsHQ from the CPF Specials thread, or oldgrandpajack from the B/S/T forum.

one thing to keep in mind is that there has also been variable QC issues (just browse the LED forum and look for U2 to find the threads) discussed here, with issues on the LED tint/beam, tailcap clickies, plastic sleeves, etc. for that reason alone, one option might be to buy a 2nd hand U2 from the B/S/T forum from someone who can confirm the quality of the U2. Granted, if you buy new, SF will take care of any issues you might have, but if you buy 2nd hand and can get a "good" light, then that's one service you don't need to go through, and you still will have the SF "if it breaks we fix it" guarantee.

a good number of other users also have U2s and will have posted their impressions etc. on the U2. in my sig link i have a modest page with standardized/comparable beamshots of several of my lights, including the U2 if you'd be interested in checking it out =)

hope this helps =)

Edit: i agree it's a bit hard to search for the "U2" or pretty much all other SF lights and a good number of other lights, but it is possible to try searches on SF*U2 or Surefire*U2 or U2*Ultra or something like that. not optimal, but well, it'll have to do =P

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Once you find a U2 that's free from flaws, it's a great light. I've found the U2 to be one of the most inconsistant offerings from SureFire. I had to go thru several U2's before I found one that was 1) free from defects and 2) to my liking. Even the one that I have now is not 100% perfect, but it will do.

exoduster18

Newly Enlightened
So all in all, the SureFire U2 is good light then? I would hope it would be for $279......Thanks for all of the replies!!

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
exoduster18 said:
So all in all, the SureFire U2 is good light then? I would hope it would be for $279......Thanks for all of the replies!!

Yes, once you find one with good tint, minimal donut, a working clicky and the ability to remove the plastic insert.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I absolutely love mine, even after the initial problems and having to send it back for repairs. Check out the CPF Specials thread, and look for OpticsHQ's link there - might save you "a buck or two" ;) There's also a couple of CPF'ers selling them at good price on BST (oldgranpajack comes to mind first).

turbodog

Flashaholic
Don't know about lumens/lvl. Batt life is at least an hour on high. $279 is too much when opticshq (dealer) is selling them for ~215 shipped.

Good light. Best multi-level light from a major mfg.

exoduster18 said:
Questions such as: Lumens per level? Battery life? Is $279 worth it?

I'm more or less looking for a review of the light.

Thanks!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine, great tint, great beam, very bright! and very nice.
I had a clickie that was getting stuck in the on position and a replacement is on the way. I managed to fix the tailcap after contacting Surefire so now it works perfectly.
Unless you are unlucky it is a great light! It is the one light I grab or bring when I know I'll need a light.
I use a 18650 in it and this lets me use it with very cheap rechargeables, while still being able to use 2 cr123s if I can't get it recharged.

Surefire will fix almost any issues if you aren't satisfied, but they can be a bit slow..
I think it is a great light and if your tailcap is OK I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a duty light. If I could only keep one light this would be it. On BST you can get them at about $200 and I would definately say it is worth this.

Just my 0.02. I know some people here disagree with me, but I love mine!

Sverre

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is the best light that I own and I own many different lights from SF including the special ops series lights. I can't wait to get mine back from SF after they repair the donut hole problem.

SF is very slow in getting this warranty repair turned around and this is frustrating.

When I purchased the light, the sales rep informed me that the levels were as follows:
  1. Level 1: 2 Lumens
  2. Level 2: 4 Lumens
  3. Level 3: 8 Lumens
  4. Level 4: 16 Lumens
  5. Level 5: 32 Lumens
  6. Level 6: 65 to 80 Lumens
It doesn't make sense now that I look at it... my memory is failing somewhere but I do remember that each level jumped by a multiple of 2 starting at 2 lumens.

Hope this helps!

-Goatee

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi

Opticshq gave me a good price and my U2 is bright white with minimal donut and perfect tailswitch first time up. I had trouble removing the sleeve that prevents use of the 18650's but got it out in the end. Apparently freezing the sleeve makes it easy to remove. It is a great torch that woul be perfect if it were a bit shorter, but I still reach for it first....

cbxer55

Enlightened
I bought mine direct from Surefire and got a perfect light first time out. I think it is worth paying their price and getting it straight from them than takomg a chance from some other source.

I love this light and do not leave home without it. Usually carry it in a open top holster, occasionally in a Rip-offs CO-181, and infrequently by its clip in left front pocket, since I like to carry 2 knives, one in each front pocket.

I also have a lanyard attached to the clip as precaution against dropping this expensive light. Regular Surefire lanyard with squeeze balls on it, available from Surefire.

Get one, you;ll like it!!

Last edited: