Surefire Magazine add.

wayned

Newly Enlightened
Hi (my first post here)

In an add in the Latest copy of Backpacker Magazine, and on the front of the Surfire catalog (Cave photo)there is a man wearing a helmet with 2 Surefire lights attached.
Someone have any info on these mounts and lights used?

Kind Regards
Ola Morken
Norway

Size15's

Flashaholic
Ola Morken,
Welcome to CPF!

That's Derek-of-SureFire
(Director of Marketing & Communications)

The lights attached to his hat are X200's
I would guess one is an X200A (narrow beam) and the other is an X200B (wide beam) because that is what I'd take. However, I can't tell for sure.
The X200 is a handgun WeaponLight.
Likely mounted on custom-made mounts (short strips of Picatinny rail bolted through the hat.

Enjoy your time here!

Al :D

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome from another Norwegian!
Read first buy later ;)

Sverre

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never met a caver who used a surefire and I've met lots of cavers.

Short runtime and non-standard batteries, not my first choice in cave.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire employees appear to have a bit more fun with light in caves compared to your average caver and therefore take a variety of lights to play with...

For example: Willie Hunt's website
Willie Hunt is SureFire's Chief Electrical Engineer.

wayned

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all. But what's the runtime for the X200? I can not find that info on the Surefire website.

Ola

Size15's

Flashaholic
The X200A has a runtime of over 2 hours.
The X200B has a runtime of over 1 hour.
Both are waterproof to 30 meters / 99 feet.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
cave dave said:
I've never met a caver who used a surefire and I've met lots of cavers.

Short runtime and non-standard batteries, not my first choice in cave.

I just had my first caving weekend, and you are right, cavers aren't into Surefire. Most of them had Petzl headlamps with both an incandescent lamp and a multi 5mm array, though the incandescent was very rarely used.

I was using a Pelican 2630 headlamp (1 watt Luxeon) which worked well for me, but caused no comment. But when I pulled out the Surefire U2 on occasion to light up a wall or formation, someone in the group almost always made a comment and wondered what it was and where it could be got. The nice white flood of my U2 looked very nice next to the blue of all those Petzl 5mm headlamps. The downside of the x200a and x200b for headlamps would be the lack of a low brightness setting and the CR123 cell form factor, but the two would make a nice beam combination I think.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The X200's are indeed an X200A and an X200B. The handheld flashlight is of course an M6.

The question becomes:
In which caves were Derek & Willie in the photos in the 2006 Catalog?

The winner may get an autographed 2006 Catalog from the men themselves!

Al :D

Razor

Newly Enlightened
...um, about that magazine ad, it shows the caver illuminating the cavern with three lights (at least of which we can see) between his helmet and the one in his hands. If you visit the Surefire website, that same picture is among the list of randomly dislpayed main images on the main page (just keep refreshing your browser until you get it), however, it seems the marketing team non-chalantly edited the helmet-mounted lights away, giving the impression that all the light is coming from his hand unit. A bit of false advertising, don't you think?

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at least they didn't edit the Helmet away! :D

Cavers have a name for inexperienced people who are a danger to themselves and others its "flashlight cavers" or sometimes "spelunkers"
Yes its derogatory.

As seen on t-shirt at caving event: "Cavers rescue Spelunkers"

BTW: those are really awesome pics on Willie Hunt's website, still didn't see any surfires though.

PS: I use a nonstandard battery (LiIon) but I have an AA spare carrier as well for when the poop hits the fan. (Oh and about 8 other lights, 4 just on my helmet)

PPS: If you are interested in caving please visit the NSS website, join a grotto and learn about safe and responsible caving.
http://www.caves.org/

Last edited:

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I didn't know there was a difference between genuine cavers and spelunkers. I've always used the terms interchangebly, but thanks for shining some light (no pun) on my ignorance. Now I'll know what not to say that will get me frowning looks if I ever run into a group of people draped with rope and headlamps.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Cave Dave,
Apart from the Beast being used in some of the shots?
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~willie/IMG_1746s.JPG
(hint: it's the bright beam)

Willie Hunt is one of the world's top caving photographers and he works for SureFire. I wonder where he makes his battery packs...
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~willie/DSCF0091s.JPG
Not everything SureFire makes can be purchased from your SureFire Dealer.

I realise that cavers are very protective of their caves - especially against those who do not respect the caves. Derek & Willie aren't "Flashlight Cavers" - they're "SureFire Cavers" - the photography on Willie's site and in SureFire's 2006 Catalog demonstrates respect for the caves and you can't say they have insufficient lighting!

I understand the term "flashlight caver" is used to describe those who do not have sufficient lighting and also extends to other equipment, experience etc.
I don't see how this applies to Willie & Derek.

Al :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:

I understand the term "flashlight caver" is used to describe those who do not have sufficient lighting and also extends to other equipment, experience etc.
I don't see how this applies to Willie & Derek.

Al :)

In no way was I reffering to Willie or Derek who are both hard core. I didn't mention any names at all, but there has been posts to this forum about what I would consider irresponsible caving (only two people, only handheld lights, etc)
And maybe ragging against the popular media and marketing people who might be interested in turning caving into an X-sport so that they can sell more lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic
You are right to be concerned.
During my time as a Geology student at Uni we were lucky enough to be taken on a guided tour of some caves which were closed to the public because they were being damaged by tourists. Some of the damage was clearly visible after almost 100 years. The formations I've seen in caves have really helped me get a handle on the concept of Geologic time and an understanding of 'old'.

Al

willie92708

Newly Enlightened
Believe me in that I am fully aware of cave conservation issues and dealing with inexperienced cavers that get themselves into trouble. I've been an avid caver, climber, and cyclist for a long time, and in the many years of caving I've seen most likely the most trashed caves on the planet and some of the most pristine, including plenty of virgin passage. I've helped on various cave rescues in some unforgiving places where without light and proper clothing, you are SOL. Fortunately I've not dealt with body recoveries, but I personally know cavers who have.

So, when SureFire's marketing wanting caving pictures to promote our lights, I laid down a few simple ground rules. The cave locations and names would not be disclosed. The caving photo trip would not be damaging to the cave, or endanger the cave team. And the pictures would be representative of reasonable cave practices, even though it is certainly true that most cavers do not use SureFire lights as their primary light source.

As far as such ads promoting yahoo's to go caving, I view it as no worse than auto makers racing their cars around on TV (professional driver on a closed course). The ads are eye catching, unusual, and hardcore, and that's what we want. Clearly, they got your attention.

Willie Hunt

Latest posts