Who here has been to the Flashlight Conventions?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear about the collectors convention every year around the time it's held. Anyone here been to it in the past? Looks neat from the photos--actual historical collecting, not the CPF gadget thing. One of these days I figure I'll haul the collection out to one just for kicks. Need to validate my hobby. :)

metalhed

Enlightened
Never been, but I would like to someday.

I know CPF leans more to the 'gadget/modder/techie' crowd than to the 'collectibles' crowd, but I sometimes think we techies forget to appreciate the 'tech' of our predecessors...i.e. antique flashlights.

Since I love history, I also love to see the relics of history. And that includes those relics of flashlight history.

But I can't help but wonder how many CPF'ers buy cutting-edge lights with tomorrow's (hoped for) values in mind, yet pay no real attention to yesterday's lights (and the value they have now.) What a shame.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I attended last year's in Santa Ana, and as I recall there were only ~20 tables. I bought a couple bitchin books from their authors.

Larry

tron3

Banned
I think it could be fun and interesting. But I could never reveal my TRUE flashaholic identity because so many people want to get me. :sweat:

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I went to one in Minnepolis two or three years ago. Brock, Jon S. Burly, Roth and a few other CPFers were there. I'm sorry to admit that I don't remember their names. The owner of The Flashlight Museum and his son were there and they are both CPF members too.

You really should go if you can. There were some pretty unbeliveable lights there. There were some of the World War II lights that were water activated. I'm not into antique lights, but there were some interesting lights even for me.

Kirk

Enlightened
ABTOMAT,
The wife and I went to the one in Santa Ana last year. Pretty darn cool. It was great to see Bill Utley and Stuart Schneider, the authors of 2 of the best flashlight "history" books. I picked up a couple of lights to add to my collection. Just seeing other "wackos" made me feel not so strange. Bill Utley has THE most fascinating collection of battery-powered lights on the planet. When asked how many lights he had, he replied "Oh, about 4-5,000, give or take a thousand"!!! His collection goes from the 1890s to present day. The next convention is May 18-21 in Cleveland, OH. Contact [email protected] for more info. I won't be going due to work conflicts. Hope to make it next year.
Kirk