Peak Kilmanjaro vs. Gerber Infinity Ultra vs. ARC-AA

maglite

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a single cell AA light with the emphasis on run time. The light will primarily be used camping for lighting a tent at night or moving around a campsite. I have other brighter primary lights, but am looking for a reliable low level high runtime light. Any comments on the listed lights or other suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!!

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd go for the Peak in the 1-led hi-power configuration. That will give you extremely long runtime, with output probably comparable to the Gerber IU and the Arc AA, which use less efficient leds. The Gerber IU is also not all that nicely made compared with the other two lights. The Peak has this removable "keychain" tail that I'm personally not fond of, but that seems to be just me being weird.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi maglite,
do you think about the Fenix L1P? I'm really inspired of this little, well build power station. With a 2stage (10Ohm) mod you have for hours enough light into the tent and if you need much more light, you push the switch and wow. I think, it's very practical with this 2stage solution and easy to carry a few aa's in your rucksack.
Also the warm white tint is a reason for the fenix.Imo better than the 5mm leds.
I'm really convinced of that Fenix:goodjob:.
I wish you luck for your decision and

best regards

___
Tom

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the new reflector version of the $20 Inova X1 sold at Target and other stores. Its beam looks almost identical to my Arc AAA-P at less than half the price.

The X1 is better built and brighter than the Gerber Infinity Ultra and an alkaline AA battery will last considerably longer than the stock Fenix lights.

drmaxx

Enlightened
maglite said:
The light will primarily be used camping for lighting a tent at night or moving around a campsite.
You seriously should consider a headlamp. E.g. PrincetonTec Aurora or RiverRock 0.5 W. I know they are mostly 3 AAA and that might be a pain, depending on your battery concept. But seriously, there is nothing more handy then a headlamp around a campside. Or how's about an APEX to replace all other lights :naughty: ?
I do have a Infinity Ultra with me all the time as a backup light. It's small and rugged and not too expensive to lend it out for a few hours. And with a lithium battery it lasts for ever.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several options but it all depends on what you want to spend :)

The Kilamanjaro with single Snow29 LED will be brighter than the Gerber or Arc AA (if you can find an Arc AA) The regulation is not as good as the Arc but if loaded with a lithium AA cell, the runtime should be just short of insanely long.

Another option is the Peak Pacific with 1AA body. Things get a little interesting considering how the regulation curcuit works. On an alkaline AA, it will regulate for around 5 to 6 hours and kick in "battery saver mode" were the output drops in half and slowly drops down for the next 24 hours to a dim level. Run a lithium AA in it, the light will regulate for 13 hours and then drop quickly over the next few hours until dead. It will be very bright for a tent light so take that into account.

C4LED

Enlightened
parnass said:
Consider the new reflector version of the $20 Inova X1 sold at Target and other stores. Its beam looks almost identical to my Arc AAA-P at less than half the price.

The X1 is better built and brighter than the Gerber Infinity Ultra and an alkaline AA battery will last considerably longer than the stock Fenix lights.

I agree with this. If you could get the old style CMG Ultra that would be best, but given the current choices, go for the X1--although it's a bit larger and heavier. The X1 has about an 8 hr to 50% runtime, while the CMG would give you a dimmer, but longer 12 hr useful light runtime.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually have a headlamp as my primary light when backpacking, but the lure to have more lights is just unresistable. I will definitly check out the X1, as well as the pacific with a AA body (i was planning on gettign that anyway... :naughty: ). Of course, I have enough lights that would probably work fine, but simply using those and being content is not the CPF way... Constantly in search of something brighter, smaller, and longer running...

cy

Flashaholic
infinity Ultra G sets the standard for survival lights. mainly due to price/performance. original costs was $15, at the time highest quality HA light available for the price.

ARC AA has always been superior in quality of machining/finish, functionally they are equal. but kicker has always been the cost.

with prices of used ultra G selling for $32-$37 range. cost to ARC AA seems to be closing, which typically sells for $55-$75 range.

recently fenix L1-P with two stage mod has stepped in to provide some serious compition. modded low beam runtime is easily equal to ultra G & ARC AA.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
cy said:
infinity Ultra G sets the standard for survival lights. mainly due to price/performance. original costs was $15, at the time highest quality HA light available for the price.

ARC AA has always been superior in quality of machining/finish, functionally they are equal. but kicker has always been the cost.

with prices of used ultra G selling for $32-$37 range. cost to ARC AA seems to be closing, which typically sells for $55-$75 range.

recently fenix L1-P with two stage mod has stepped in to provide some serious compition. modded low beam runtime is easily equal to ultra G & ARC AA.

I have a L1P and have considered doing the 2 stage mod, but am somewhat concerned with the quality of the threads on the L1P. Especially considering all the problems with 0-rings everyone has been having, Im not sure how long the tailcap threads will hold up using it as a twistie. Has anyone expierenced issues with this?

Also, its more fun just to buy another one

cy

Flashaholic
do the two stage mod, adds HUGE functionality to your fenix.
I posted EZ instructions posted some where...

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
ok if you go with the X1 you have to realize that it wont hang down straight cause the lanyard whole is offsideed and will made a weird beam shape in the tent that gets annoying to me but thats just me talking and a peak or an arc would be the best for you needs but can get a little pricey so if it was me i would get a gerber IU

drmaxx

Enlightened
maglite said:
[...], but the lure to have more lights is just unresistable. Of course, I have enough lights that would probably work fine, but simply using those and being content is not the CPF way... Constantly in search of something brighter, smaller, and longer running...
Hmmm, in this case I would definately go with a Peak. I only have the Matterhorn, but I really like the quality of their products. I personally think that having something well made is half the pleasure of having a flashlight :laughing:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
maglite said:
I have a L1P and have considered doing the 2 stage mod, but am somewhat concerned with the quality of the threads on the L1P. Especially considering all the problems with 0-rings everyone has been having, Im not sure how long the tailcap threads will hold up using it as a twistie. Has anyone expierenced issues with this?

Also, its more fun just to buy another one

cy,
Like maglite said, I wouldn't consider the fenix as a survival light because of the QC issues.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy specified runtime. None of the other lights mentioned can compete with the Gerber on runtime. Whoever mentioned 12hrs is crazy. That thing will put out useful light well past 40hrs. Most into the 60 to 80hr range.