Who has good schnitzel in the Bay Area?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever since the Pine Brook Inn in Belmont closed I've been on a search for really good wienerschnitzel.
Any recommendations?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! Belmont area huh? Don't know how far you are going to travel for them "dogs," but there's one on the El Camino (1001 E. El Camino) in Sunnyvale. Also two locations in Santa Clara with one on the El Camino and the other on Saratoga.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
CHC, I think he's looking for wienerschnitzel, the delicious breaded cutlet (I've had pork & veal), not the hot dog chain.

I can't answer your question GJW, I've only been to San Francisco once and didn't look for any German restaurants. I'm pleased to think that my city may actually have something that the Bay Area lacks.:rock: Cincinnati, and Newport and Covington across the river in KY, has a large German population. We have a Hofbrauhaus across the river in Newport, which was the first one opened in the USA.:nana: My favorite there is the Jagerschnitzel with the mushrooms and gravy on the cutlet. A low cal and heart healthy meal! There's also a restaurant within just a few miles of my house that serves German and Hungarian food and has great wienerschnitzel.

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/index.html

CLHC

Flashaholic
:huh: I stand to be corrected and learned a "new" food item!

Thanks Paul! :wave:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one in Milpitas closed a few years ago (the one on Abel?). There's Teske's Germania in downtown San Jose.

Personally, I'm not terribly impressed by "German" restaurants here, most tend to serve food that you might find in the streets of Germany (like Bratwurst). Though, looking at restaurants in Germany, it would appear that Germans like to sample the cuisine of other countries when they dine out (e.g. Italian, Greek, Chinese, etc.)

On the other hand, when I asked a German friend about German restaurants, his comeback was "you know those restaurants you saw at the rest stops on the autobahn?" :)

magic79 said:
There used to be a really good German place in Milpitas, but I just searched and it appears it's gone.

Have you tried:
Schnitzelhaus
294 9th St, San Francisco, CA?

CLHC

Flashaholic
I think that one on Abel is still standing. Unless of course it's just the building itself with the sign still hanging on. Other than that, I don't know.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a bar now and the sign has been changed, though the name escapes me right now. I do rembember getting kind of snockered there about a year and a half ago. I think they serve lunch there, but not dinner (they'll cook up finger food on request in the evening.)

CHC said:
I think that one on Abel is still standing. Unless of course it's just the building itself with the sign still hanging on. Other than that, I don't know.

swissbianco

Newly Enlightened
i now how you feel. after say 10 days on usa fast food mr donalds etc etc i pay anything for an good schnitzel:laughing:

either you lern how to cook it yourself or have an nice woman do it or you have to look for an sutch restourant.

as im mainly on ga i can only suggest helen ga 30512 as there on swiss friend owns an restourant and as he is swiss i get the same food as here...

guten appetit! (enjoy your meel)

roger
www.swissbianco.com
www.fehlschaerfe.de

CLHC

Flashaholic
Got it! He he he. . .

I've yet to visit those places, since I have family in Germany and Austria.

And I think I remember the sign in Milpitas saying Open for Lunch. Although, as you said, the name now escapes me. . .:thinking:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
CHC said:
:huh: I stand to be corrected and learned a "new" food item!

Thanks Paul! :wave:

No problem. Der Wienerschnitzel hot dog places are cool in their own way too. Reminds me of The Descendants.:rock:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
After 10 days of fast food, whether it be in the US or the local fast food of some other country, I think I'd be willing to pay money for an airline meal :)
Well ... maybe not that desperate, but there would be some pretty serious yearning for some real food (presuming I haven't dropped dead from the trans-fat and sodium from the fast food).

Though oddly enough these days, it seems that one can find American fast food in just about any country they go to, and in some cases more so than in the U.S. East coasters will understand this one better than my brethern on the West coast, but imagine walking down the street in a part of Seoul (no, I don't know which district it was in, there's about 9 or 10 of them!) and seeing a Friendly's! And it's not limited to just fast food, Lawry's (of spice fame) was a fine dining restauant in Chicago until they branched out to other major cities, but would you expect to be going there for prime rib ... in Singapore!?

swissbianco said:
i now how you feel. after say 10 days on usa fast food mr donalds etc etc i pay anything for an good schnitzel:laughing:

magic79

Enlightened
Yes, the one on Abel was the one I was thinking of. I haven't been there in a decade though.

Brighteyez: you got me curious and I found these at "foodtimeline.com":

"Wiener Schnitzel and its Italian counterpart, Cotoletta Milanese, involved two Hapsburg domains in a culinary quarrel. Both branches of the family, Austrian and Italian, claimed credit for the invention of the dish, the latter branch tracing their claim all the way back to a banquet given in 1134 for the canon of Milan's St. Ambrogio Cathedral."
---Horizon Cookbook and Illustrated History of Eating and Drinking Through the Ages, William Harlan Hale [American Heritage:New York] 1968 (p. 516)
"Costeletta alla milanes, one of the most famous dishes of Milan, is a breaded flattened veal rib chop with the bone, fried in butter and served with lemon, which actually antedated the Austrian Wiener Schnitzel it is sometimes said to be copied from."
---Dictionary of Italian Food and Drink, John Mariani [Broadway Books:New York] 1998 (p. 83)