Terralux Minimax and Nite ize swap

Bozzlite

Enlightened
This may be of interest to those of you who have bought the Minimax and are less than impressed with it, as I am.

Out of curiosity, the mother of invention, I pulled the Nite Ize drop in and reflector out of one of my 2AA minimags and installed them in the 1AA Minimax. To my surprise, it worked! The overall light output is only very slightly less than in the minimag.

Taking this experiment one step further, I installed the Minimax LED and reflector in the Minimag and also to my surprise, it works great. Brightness and color are on par with the other TLE-5 conversions I have, even better than one.

Now, I am much happier with both lights. I don't recommend purchasing the Terralux minimax just to get the bulb and reflector, but if you have one laying around, this is the way to get some use out of it.

Interesting that the minimax has left hand threads in the head. Also, the tail cap switch looks like a regular terralux tcs, but will only screw into the minimag about 1 turn. Different thread pitch. It will work, but obviously won't be water tight. Gonna leave it in the minimax.