FireFly-III Questions

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Some of my FF-III related questions seem to be getting lost in the shuffle, so I thought I'd start a new thread, in hopes that folks who have received thiers can answer.

1- Will there be an aluminum collar available to replaced the OEM copper version?

2- What the process of getting the OEM light-engine removed to use the sammie adapter and drop-in sandwich?

3- Are these plans for a CR2 battery tube?

I think these are my major questions for now, however I reserve the right to ask more later.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good thread t.i.n.

From what I understand, Doug will be making aluminum heat sinks to replace the heavier (although better cooling ) stock copper sinks.

From looking at the pictures, it appears there is a ring that holds the FluPIC in place. Remove the ring with c-ring pliers and unscrew the module. Use the adapter ring to mount your own sandwich if you want. I am assuming you want to run CR123 primaries?

My question is what are the approximate mA loads on each level of programming? I am aware of level 15 being 650mA but what level would be 400 to 450mA? My plan is to drop the "high" level down to the lower level for longer runtimes and cooler operation.

Anyone out there run their FF-III on high at level 11/12/13 or 14 and are aware of the current draw?

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks BentHeadTX. I don't know the answer to your question. Another question I have concerns the strobing feature. Will it strob at the same rate as the earlier release POP2 sammies that cgpeanut was making sometime ago or at a different rate. I had a couple of those sammies and depending on the version, so of them strobed at different rates.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
i think the strobe is set to a default of 10Hz, but can be adjusted anywhere between 4hz and 15hz in mode 5. I've set mine to a level a bit faster than the default, trying to mimic as close as possible the gladius strobe.

i have no idea on the current draw, but Goldserve might be the best guy to answer the current draws on the various levels given that he designed the module.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Somy Nex said:
i think the strobe is set to a default of 10Hz, but can be adjusted anywhere between 4hz and 15hz in mode 5. I've set mine to a level a bit faster than the default, trying to mimic as close as possible the gladius strobe.

i have no idea on the current draw, but Goldserve might be the best guy to answer the current draws on the various levels given that he designed the module.

Thanks. I did see that referenced in the users guide. Do you know that if you set the rate in Mode-5 if that setting carries thru all other modes? Sorry for all the questions, but my FF-III hasn't arrived yet.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
that's actually a good question and i should've mentioned it in my original post. the strobe does carry over to the other modes once set. i've set both my JIL and FF3 to faster strobes on mode 5, moved back to my preferred setting of mode 4, and the faster strobes have indeed carried over.

i'm not so sure if the same applies for brightness settings for low and high though, as i've found the default settings to be good for me, and haven't changed them yet. but then again, purely from my suspect memory, i think you can adjust the low & high settings on almost every mode.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
That's great to know. Thanks. I have one of the old POP2 sammies in a FF-II. I don't recall the firmware version, but it's the one that has 4-modes, whereas the modes are accessed on the 10th on/off sequence. Is the strobe mode of that selectable or is a fixed strobe rate?

Latest posts