Birdshot in a rimfire???

dtsoll

Enlightened
Just wondering if anyone knows for sure, does birdshot in a rimfire hurt the barrel?? Some say it does, others say it doesn't hurt it, you just need to clean the barrel more often. Your thoughts?? Doug:)

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used them for YEARS. The CCI .22 rimfire shells have a protective "capsule" that keeps most of the shot from contacting the barrel.

Never the less, they are dirty, but a decent cleaning will take care of any bore leading.

I carry a S & W Airlite eight shot .22 on my farm. The first three chambers are loaded with the Speer shot loads, the rest Quick-Shok HP loads. Very useful. The loads contain appx. 1/12th OZ. of # 12 shot, commonly called "dust" shot.

The .22 loads are only effective to five or six feet (not yards), but will put the hurt on a poisonous snake.

Much better are the .38/.357 loads, They contain about 1/4 ox, of #9 shot.
I feel the shot size is a bit large for the shot count, so I handload # 11, or # 10 in the .38 cases.

Copperheads/water moccasins are DRT (dead right there). I mean they are stone cold DEAD.

I had an experience a few years ago, in which I shot a large water moccasin with a .22 HP. The low shot propelled the snake upwards, and towards me, with the after effect that I nearly was wearing a snake "necklace".

The shot won't do that.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hmmm. When I was a kid (the 60's) my grandfather tasked me with taking care of the blackbirds that ate his corn. He supplied the birdshot shells and the .22 bolt action single shot. I recall taking out blackbirds that were at the top of a poplar tree. I have no idea of the range.

Part of the deal was that I clean the gun after every box of shells. It seemed to do fine.

Daniel

dtsoll

Enlightened
I didn't even know they made "birdshot" in .357 but then again I am a novice when it comes to guns and ammo. Do they make it in 9mm? Doug:)

Mrd 74

Enlightened
Don't know if it is made in 9mm because that is primarily an auto cartriage and the shot shells might have jamming problems.

dtsoll

Enlightened
I see that cabelas sells 9mm shotshells but I think you are right mrd74, can't see them feeding very well. I wonder if you could feed one at a time?? The reason I ask, I am considering a Springfield Armory XD in 9mm. Anyway, I think it would be fun to shoot the shotshells with a pistol. Doug:)

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
CCI makes shot shells for most pistols including .22, .38spl, 9mm, and .45ACP. I have used .22 and 38spl with no problem. I am sure you have to manually operate the slide to help chamber for auto's...not enough gas force to operate the slide.

To add: .38spl and .357Mag are normally the same shot shell. That is, .38spl length but can use in .357Mag

Last edited:

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
dtsoll said:
I see that cabelas sells 9mm shotshells but I think you are right mrd74, can't see them feeding very well. I wonder if you could feed one at a time?? The reason I ask, I am considering a Springfield Armory XD in 9mm. Anyway, I think it would be fun to shoot the shotshells with a pistol. Doug:)

I have a XD9....great gun, but I wanted to let you know not to load single rounds and then let slide slam home on chambered round...can do damage. Just load into magazine and operate slide (even for single round) and let slide to the work to chamber. If shot shell then you will probably have to operate slide by hand each time.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Birdshot will not injure or significantly lead a rimfire barrel. If you are concerned, put a standard, lubed round through it between boxes. MadMag's right in my experience, none of them will reliably cycle autos. O.T. but I have an antique Stevens 3" top-break single shot pistol I use for scorpion murder. It's black powder era and due to someone's lack of cleaning, the rifling's almost gone. I reamed it for .22 Mag. :D (Frame's more than strong enough!) Smoothbore pistols are a big no-no in Ca, but enough sort-of-visable rifling remains to keep it legal. Putting shotshells down rifled barrels typically results in enormous (useless) patterns! They are only useful for short range pest control.

Larry

magic79

Enlightened
I've used two different kinds of birdshot. In .357 and .44 Mag, it has a plastic capsule as mentioned. The .22LR I used was a solid metal case, crimped at the end. The .22LR were labeled "snake loads", but if I was in poisonous snake territory, I sure wouldn't trust the .22, although there ARE a surprising number of pellets in such a little round.

The lead is way to soft to harm your barrel.

Makarov

Enlightened
I've shot CCI shotshell though my NAA Mini in .22lr.
Got a nice pattern at 3-5 feet, didn't even bother to patch up as the target was full of holes. :)

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know CCI offers 10mm/40S&W shot shells, 9mm I'm not sure about. I have 22,38/357and 40S&W shot shell chamberings. In the house I use a wee bit larger shot for prowlers and two legged snakes. double aught,triple aught and hollow point deer slugs