Luxeon Star 5W for project

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Hello there...

I was thinking about creating a lightsaber project by the following:

Use an aluminium pipe for the appropiate length of the hilt and diameter. Then use a taper adaptor and weld a 3/8 or so aluminium rod to the adaptor...like this:

/________________________/--------------|
|--------------------------------[AAx4 batts |
\———————————————\--------------|

The hilt would be hollow to accept the battery pack. Then using 5W Luxeon Star LEDs, I would drill recessed holes in the aluminium/or steel rod to hold the LEDs along the length of the rod. Then the rod would be encased in a foam-type packaging-type material that would allow the lightsaber to withstand full force blows against very unforgiving surfaces.

Does that click with yall? Do the LEDs need some sort of driver or what not? I figure maybe 4 or so, 5W is most definitely bright.

GophersummerprojectGopher

greenLED

Flashaholic
With "4 or so" LuxV's, you'll need more than 4xAA to power your mod. You'll definitely need a driver of some sort.

Why LuxV's? Yeah, they're bright, but you could get similar results and not have all the power and heat issues using LuxI's.

icecube said:
Hello there...

I was thinking about creating a lightsaber project by the following:

Use an aluminium pipe for the appropiate length of the hilt and diameter. Then use a taper adaptor and weld a 3/8 or so aluminium rod to the adaptor...like this:

/________________________/--------------|
|--------------------------------[AAx4 batts |
\———————————————\--------------|

The hilt would be hollow to accept the battery pack. Then using 5W Luxeon Star LEDs, I would drill recessed holes in the aluminium/or steel rod to hold the LEDs along the length of the rod. Then the rod would be encased in a foam-type packaging-type material that would allow the lightsaber to withstand full force blows against very unforgiving surfaces.

Does that click with yall? Do the LEDs need some sort of driver or what not? I figure maybe 4 or so, 5W is most definitely bright.

GophersummerprojectGopher

You absolutely need a driver if you plan on running them from 4 cells because, Luxeon V would need a source capable of providing 700mA at 8.31v(max source voltage specified in datasheet, typical voltage is 6.84v)

Do not use AA cells. If you're driving four Luxeon V LEDs(I'm guessing, b/c if you're not driving at full output, then why bother using Luxeon V?). After considering driver loss of 15%, you're going to be taking 27W from the battery. Alkaline is out of question. If you're using NiMH, the voltage will probably sag down to 4.5v or so and you'll be drawing 6 amps you'll probably get 15 minutes of use per charge. Because of the cost involved with drivers and the lousy battery life, I would advise against it.

I recommend using a 9.6v NiMH pack like this http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/showitem.asp?ItemID=10095

and fitting the device with a Tamiya style connector, so you won't have to design a battery holder and the pack can easily be charged using a hobby charger.

I suggest using a constant current type driver, but since the battery voltage is higher than LED forward voltage, you could use a power resistor for each LED. The resistor needed of course depends on the forward voltage of the actual LEDs you get, but I would recommend around 4.5 to 5 ohm connected in series with each LED.

each resistor needs to be 3-5W and glued to the body using some thermal epoxy to avoid over-heating.

You might also try using "1W" Luxeon LEDs driven at 350mA. You can run them from 4AA NiMHs that will get you over an hour of run time.

Feel free to PM me if you need additional help.

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Oh ok, so 5W really isn't that neccessary then?

It has to be bright enough to be easily seen in even daytime, which is why I suggested 5W. The pictures I've seen of even 3W Lux is bright, but that's a night with all the blinds closed. Not exactly a good setting.

Besides, who fights in the dark?

Basicaly I have no experience. Could even incandesant work the trick?

GophermanyquestionsandconfusioncloudsthemindGopher

icecube

Newly Enlightened
...Moving on...

So what basically should I use then? Would 1W Lux be bright enough to light the whole deal up like in the movies? Bright as day it must be.

GopheragoodprojectitshallbeGopher

halocon

Newly Enlightened
icecube said:
...Moving on...

So what basically should I use then? Would 1W Lux be bright enough to light the whole deal up like in the movies? Bright as day it must be.

GopheragoodprojectitshallbeGopher

why not use two one watts powered in parallel? one on the top and one on the end. that should give pretty even lighting throughout.