Does Anybody make a "plastic L1"?

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
"L1" as in Surefire.....
I been looking a bit and like the L1's LED and dual outputs; I'm not too wild on the metal body or the $$$.

Ideally I'd want a white LED w/plastic body (non-conductive and waterproof to at least a few feet) that was 2xAA or 2xCR123, and a long runtime (50-75-100+ hrs). Having a shorter/higher-output switch would be great, but I won't do without the longer run time. Having a nylon belt holster available would be nifty as well.

So far I have been alternating between using a mini-mag 2-AA and a stubby silver 4-AA Brinkman LED flashlight I got at Wal-Mart for about $10. The Brinkman is bright enough for me but is built a bit flimsy, and it's body is too fat to carry easily on my person. The mini-mag is thin enough but a bit long and has the metal body. Also while I do like the focusing ability--I don't like the fact that the head tends to come unscrewed. I put a tailswitch on it because I had to--the head kept unscrewing, running the batteries down as I was carrying it around.

I know there's lots of look-a-likes sold but don't know many places to look online for them. And I don't really care for any of the "tactical" umm,,,, stuff that they sell for SureFires. So I don't really *need* a Surefire, I just haven't seen anything else close to the L1. Ideally it'd cost <$50; the $135 price for the Surefire L1 is probably the absolute most I'd pay.
Anybody know anything?
~

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Since the other two lights you mentioned are incandescent, Here are two incan suggestions if you can't find an led that you like: Brinkman Maxfire LX is a very bright xenon light with a glass lens, aluminum reflector, and a sturdy non-conductive plastic body. It has a clickie tailcap switch. It runs on 2 cr123 batteries, but has only one level. It costs under $20 at Target, and comes with a sheath. The SureFire G2 is essentially the same as the Brninkman, but better built and available in several colors for around $35. Either of these lights will blow away your other two lights.

Both of these lights can be easily upgraded to a very bright Luxeon III LED using the Bug Out Gear or G&P brand Luxeon III lamp assembly. It costs around $40. See the Brinkman Maxfire LX description on Flashlightreviews.com for details

For less than $20, you might try the Brinkman until you can find your perfect light.

One possibility for your plastic 2-stage Luxeon light is to buy the G2, upgrade it to the LED lamp assy. and install a 2-stage tailcap. It would be a total frankenstein light, but will be exactly what you want, and would have excellent output. The only catch is that I'm not sure if the available 2-stage tailcaps are compatible with the G2 body.

Can anyone relpy about the G2 tailcap compatibility issue?

Bernie

Last edited:

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
I went and done ordered a L1 anyway. I couldn't find anything with the features of the L1 I liked for much less than the L1 cost. I called around locally but nobody had one in stock; they always have the weapon-mounted lights and the tac lights, but not a lot else. So I will just risk it I suppose.

I very much like the idea of the two very-different outputs/runtimes tho. I could not find a lot of other flashlights that had that. Hours-wise, I saw a couple cheaper combo incan/led that had something like 2/10 hours, but nothing else close to the Surefire L1's 4/100 hours.

Also ordered a Nuwai Q3, needed two lights after all and I see it gets good comments as well.
~

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
You won't regret the L1. It is my favorite everyday/night light. The low beam is perfect to navigate in the dark and not lose your night vision. I will bet in 6 months you will forget how much it cost,

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
Patience is a Virtue, but, , ,

, , , -I want my virtues now, d4mm!t!

I ordered the L1 from the Surefire site, because the price seemed the same everywhere and I figured they'd be most likely to have it in stock... but after a couple [business] days now, the order status still says "waiting to ship".
What does this mean? Is this normal for them? [edit] Nevermind, it's shipped last night, emailed today. (sigh)

...The three other places I ordered other stuff from (placed orders online either on Saturday or Sunday) all sent order confirms Mon morning, listed items as in stock and shipped the same day.
~

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
If I didn't know better, I'd think Surefire.com shipped slowly intentionally to encourage you to visit their retail vendors.