Spring is about to ''spring''...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Tomorrow (Monday 03-20-06) at 10:26am PST is when spring starts.
Tomorrow's weather forecast for Seattle WA. USA is party cloudy with a high of 55°F (12.8°C).

The daffodils and cherry trees are in full bloom. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Woo-hoo! I can't wait. There's nothing blooming here yet - usually the first week of April is when things start to show up. We're going to be in the low to mid 30s all this week, so while March is going out like a lamb, it's still chilly.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Ater going most of the winter with almost no snow, we got 18" in two snowfalls last week.

Today it's supposed to get to the mid 30's, with some sun; the snow is melting, rather slowly for my tatse, though.

My daffodils and tulips usually don't bloom until around the last week in April; (with the daffodils usually a week ahead of the tulips).

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ravens are all carrying bits of stuff in their beaks back to their roost, building nests I suppose.

the recent rain, and now sun, is making the chapparral grow back with a vengeance.

soon, I'll have to tilt the solar panels up a bit...

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alaskawolf, I alway check the weather for Fairbanks with great fascination. It is so hard to belive such a place could be so cold during the winter and yet have a couple of months of decent weather in the summer. In fact after an average high of like 2 during January, the average high for June and July actually breaks 70 degrees and in the low 50s at night. I would say I can't imagine how you put up with the extremes but I can because growing up in northern Vermont we experience the same thing although tempered by your standards. Like today the high was only in the mid 20s but a month from now could possibly be 40 or 50 degrees higher.

I would imagine you guys must really love June and July, do the lakes ever actually become swimmable and are there times when you wear shorts during the summer? Would like to visit there some year. My cousin lives in Anchorage.

alaskawolf said:
im hoping the snow will start melting by the end of next month .

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
There's a sparrow living in a corner of our front awning. Last week he sat there most of the day, singing his heart out, looking for a date. Now he's started to place nesting material in the corner, so I think he's found a partner.
:)

alaskawolf

Enlightened
geepondy said:
Alaskawolf, I alway check the weather for Fairbanks with great fascination. It is so hard to belive such a place could be so cold during the winter and yet have a couple of months of decent weather in the summer. In fact after an average high of like 2 during January, the average high for June and July actually breaks 70 degrees and in the low 50s at night. I would say I can't imagine how you put up with the extremes but I can because growing up in northern Vermont we experience the same thing although tempered by your standards. Like today the high was only in the mid 20s but a month from now could possibly be 40 or 50 degrees higher.

I would imagine you guys must really love June and July, do the lakes ever actually become swimmable and are there times when you wear shorts during the summer? Would like to visit there some year. My cousin lives in Anchorage.

we're happy if its above 2F in January, this past January it didnt get warmer than -20F all month long :(

Anchorage is close to 400 miles south of the interior and they always have very mild almost lower 48 style winters.

as for the interior many of the lakes become swimable during summer time. as for the temps in june and july we average in the 70s but are offen in the 80s and 90s. heck people wear shorts in the winter time but even the tourist wear shorts through out summer time too :p

there isnt much night time in summer with that whole 24 hours of daylight thing ;) once all the sun light comes it stays warm.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
First day of Spring 2006 in Nova Scotia:

cpf6zb.jpg

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
around here it's been spring :) I already have mosquito bites! Took this picture more than 2 weeks ago now:

spring.jpg

a tree in my neighbors yard was the first to go into bloom on the block. Since then several of mine have started too.

Spring and fall and winter down here in the deep south are wonderful, it's the summer which drags on a bit...

Raven

Enlightened
I live in Houston.

For us, Spring starts in Feb, and Summer begins sometime around April.

Sigh

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, after the warmest January or record in Indiana, this morning, we got between 4-8 inches of snow. Had over 60 wrecks in Marion county (Indianapolis).

Still, overall, we had a very mild winter so I'm not complaining.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's getting colder here than it was in the winter. Supposed to be 21F tonight, and last night there was sleet and freezing rain. And I just put on my summer wheels/tires the day before. Boy it's nice to have wide grippy tires with sidewalls that don't flex constantly. Smooth and level ride. Was a blast to go around corners at speed without drama! er ya back on topic, just gotta be carefull until the roads dry up again.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see, last week we hit the 80's. Then we had a sudden gust of cold wind blow in and SLAMMED us down to the 30's almost overnight. The first day of spring was right at freezing with terrible winds and today we had a dusting of snow here and there.

I feel like I'm living back up in NY off of the great lakes again!

The national park service is fretting a lot because some of the cherry trees had started to blossom and now they are freezing so it may have an impact on the look of the national cherry blossom festival this year.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is pretty much what our backyard looks like right now and 2 days ago, I was cleaning out the minibarn wearing a t-shirt.

First day of spring...
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Untitled-2.jpg

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still raining here in San Jose. We've had a very wet winter and the sierras have a record 390 inches of snowfall for the season. Look for some fantastic flooding in Yosemite if we get a heat wave in May/June.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I saw my first robin of the season the other day, and today I saw two or three chickadees flitting around a pine tree outside my office. They kept flying towards the mirrored window and trying to "land" on the branches they saw reflected in it. I was inside looking out at them, and in several cases they flew right towards my face! When they got close I could see their outstretched feet flailing around, trying to land onto something that was only a reflection.