V for Vendetta

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
I was amused, which perhaps is the goal of cinema. It was daring in its way, when so many movies today are a bland tasteless gruel of mediocrity.

Raven

Enlightened
Sounds like a extemely political film, which I suppose will go over well if you agree with the movie's viewpoint.

It's tough for me to read the news, these days, and buy into what V for Vendetta is trying to sell, so I have no plans to see it.

What's odd to me is that, in V for Vendetta, the oppressors and the oppressed are the exact opposite of what we see happening in real life.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not 100% accurate to the comics, but it's close enough that only purists will be disappointed. I highly recommend it. And Raven, with your "the oppressors and the oppressed are the exact opposite of what we see happening in real life" comment, i suggest you read up a bit more on what the movie is about.

Last edited:

bhds

Enlightened
Raven said:
Sounds like a extemely political film, which I suppose will go over well if you agree with the movie's viewpoint.

It's tough for me to read the news, these days, and buy into what V for Vendetta is trying to sell, so I have no plans to see it.

What's odd to me is that, in V for Vendetta, the oppressors and the oppressed are the exact opposite of what we see happening in real life.

It definitely does have a "viewpoint" but I'm not exactly sure what your point is:thinking: How can you not "buy" into it what its trying to sell if you havent seen it yet?:)

bhds

Enlightened
While its not a blockbuster type movie I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I can see where a lot of people would be put off by its political message and view of the near future. It does swing a fairly big and heavy hammer if you know what I mean:huh:

For those who have seen it, I have played "street fighting man" about 30 times today.:rock:

Raven

Enlightened
bhds said:
It definitely does have a "viewpoint" but I'm not exactly sure what your point is:thinking: How can you not "buy" into it what its trying to sell if you havent seen it yet?:)

I've read detailed reviews.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
rebels fighting opressive governments have been film fodder for as long as there has been film :) If you like that sort of thing then go see the movie. Hollywood does tend to read a lot of scripts and then watch CNN and then decide that the same things are happening in reality which always makes me laugh at them...

I probably wont see the movie, but thats more because my movie time is severely limited lately and going out at night requires too much preparation.

I went out last night though and saw larry keel and the biscuit burners playing at the music festival though! They were both fantastic, much better than a movie and after popcorn not any more expensive either.

bhds

Enlightened
James S said:
I went out last night though and saw larry keel and the biscuit burners playing at the music festival though! They were both fantastic, much better than a movie and after popcorn not any more expensive either.
Say who? Gonna have to google that one:thinking:
;)

tdhg566

Newly Enlightened
Wife and I normally just get our movies thru NetFlix, and we generally don't like theatres (many of the patrons are completely void of manners, don't turn off cell phones, etc) but I wanted to see V, so we went last night. I had read the story line (still looking for the book - local B&N was out) so there were no surprises. I wanted to see how they depicted the growing rebellion and the transformation of the populace. So I enjoyed the movie, but it's certainly not for everyone.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the record, Alan Moore wrote that it isn't "Alan Moore's V" or "David Lloyd's V." In fact, it was David who came up with the Guy Fawkes angle.
my name is fake said:
it was entertaining even though it deviated a lot from Alan Moore's comic series...

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
A must see!
I was drooling throughout this visual orgy and thrilling story. I must say this is one of the better ones I have seen in some time now, even though seeing Natalie Portmans hair being cut short was mentally challenging.

Go see it!

LEDMaster2003

Newly Enlightened
At first when I saw the title I thought it would be some Sue Grafton inspired movie.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Wife and I saw the movie this past Sunday. We both liked it....a lot. It's unusual for SWMBO to like a movie of this type but she did. She couldn't stop talking about it afterwards. All around good flick.

Cliff