Revolver questions

dtsoll

Enlightened
What is the difference between double action and single action. I'm handgun shopping(on the web only for now) and I kind of like the Ruger Super single six convertible "hunter" with the 7.5" barrel. And, I don't know the difference between double and single action??? Thanks for any help!!! Doug:)

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Doug,

A single action has to have the hammer thumbed back for every shot, like in cowboy movies. Double action revolvers can have the hammer thumbed back, but also give you the option of just pulling the trigger through a longer, much heavier trigger pull that pulls the hammer back and then releases it. It doesn't **** the hammer back like the single action does, because if you pull the trigger back part way and then release it the hammer goes back down.

Generally speaking, double action revolvers are better suited for defensive use than single action, but if you practice a lot there is not much difference until you get to the 7th shot (single action revolvers are MUCH slower to reload as a rule than double action revolvers).

Hope this helps.
Danny

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, the difference between a Single action and double action is the manner in which the revolver can be cocked to fire. In a single action the hammer must be manually thumbed back to full **** before the trigger can be pulled to release it and fire the cartridge. In a double action revolver you can manually **** the hammer like in a single action, or you can simply pull the trigger withthe hammer down and it will **** and fire.

The double action trigger pull, all the way from hammer down to firing is a lot harder to accomplish than the pull of the trigger in single action.

Some older style revovlers will have a half **** notch to use during reloading. Putting the hammer in the half **** notch allows the cylander to be rotated to load cartridges thru the loading gate. Pulling the trigger from the half **** notch will not usually be enough to detonate the primer, thus the old saying going off half cocked... (well that came from muzzleloaders which had the same issue).

dtsoll

Enlightened
Thanks Danny and Lee!!! That clears it up!! Smith and Wesson has a 617 that is double action. I guess I would kinda like the option to just pull the trigger as apposed to having to **** it each time!! Anyone own a S&W 617?? They look cool, kinda pricey!! Doug:)

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is you primary use?

Hunting, defense, target?

For defense, I prefer double-action revolvers.

You can even get 7 shot revolvers now, such as the 686+...

dtsoll

Enlightened
Basically just killing those dreaded aluminum cans! Maybe some small game hunting. But, more often than not, just me and my boys shooting at cans. That S&W 617 sure is pretty! Doug:)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ruger Single SIxes are excellent plinking arms. A family friend of ours has one from way back in the day and it shoots like new, plus the 22LR is dirt cheap...and the barrel is long enough to take advantage of the accuracy of the 22s. THey are little pricey now but very good investment.

I'm curious to why you are dead set on a revolter. I have a Ruger Semi-auto 22 and it suits the purposes you mentioned (plinking, small games) better than a revolver(10 shots, easy to clean, extremely accurate).

dtsoll

Enlightened
I'm not really stuck on a revolver, for some reason I just liked the looks of the S&W. A gunshop here in town has a Ruger MKIII 6&7/8" Hunter with the fluted barrel that I've been looking at. Beautiful gun!! I'm just gonna take my time and enjoy researching it!! Doug:)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ruger Single Six (a single action) for small game hunting and plinking is VERY hard to beat. It has a flexibility you will not find in many other rimfire handguns, the option to use two different ammunitions, .22 LR and .22 WRM simply changing the cylander. I would highly recommend them, and Ruger is pretty top of the line. Personally I think a novice shooter is better served buying a revolver than a pistol for a first handgun, most new shooters have greater success learning on a revolver in my experiences but that is simply personal.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever shot a handgun, but it's my opinion that if you just want to scare the tin cans, a handgun will do. If you want to hit them you could do it a lot quicker with a long gun. Maybe a 22 gauge or other "squirrel rifle".

I'm somehow more at ease with a long gun around the house than a handgun. I suppose that's because most people around here have a rifle or shotgun.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I myself have lusted after an S&W 617.

But I have a Ruger 22/45 (MKIII w/ .45acp like controls) that I like immensely!

I also know the Ruger Super Single to be a great gun!

If you never envision it needing to really save your life, either option would be killer!

I keep something just a trifle more powerfull around though....

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Used to hunt woodchucks with the Ruger Super Single Six Convertable. Used the .22 WMR cylinder for hunting. It's a great revolver for plinking also. Don't have to worry about the cost of plinking, which makes it that much more fun to shoot.

oldgrandpajack

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S&W 617 is an excellent model. It is a bit heavy for a .22 since it has such little material taken out of the barrel and cylinder for the bore and chambers. It is well worth its cost and would last you essentially forever.

I dare say that all S&W revolvers currently produced are double action. They have made single action versions of their revolvers in the past, but those are very rare, externally they look just like the double angle versions. (Actually they produce some revolvers with concealed hammers that are double action only.)

mbely2

Enlightened
I would suggest to go to shooting range and try try as many different guns as possible: only practice will tell you which revolver fits you the best.
Most Shooting Ranges has rental guns/revolvers and renting them doesn't cost much.

tracker870

Enlightened
A 22 is an excellent choice for inexpensive training, plinking, etc.
Smiths are top quality. If you are thinking of a single-six, handle one first. Some hands don't match those grips (I have a 6.5" single-six in stainless & it's a beauty). The Ruger MKI, II, III are nice and affordable semis with lots of aftermarket goodies available. I use a MKIII 5.5" bull brl for Bullseye League (it's got a few add-ons).
I love revolvers; the only gripe being that you need to clean the cylinder plus the barrel! :)
--Stay Safe.

magic79

Enlightened
eluminator said:
I don't think I've ever shot a handgun, but it's my opinion that if you just want to scare the tin cans, a handgun will do. If you want to hit them you could do it a lot quicker with a long gun. Maybe a 22 gauge or other "squirrel rifle".

I completely agree with you: I don't think you've ever shot a handgun either! :laughing: :grin2: (just kidding)

Seriously, with practice, you can easily hit cans out to 15 yards (or further) with a .22.

For me, the added challenge of a handgun is part of the fun.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
dtsoll said:
I'm not really stuck on a revolver, for some reason I just liked the looks of the S&W. A gunshop here in town has a Ruger MKIII 6&7/8" Hunter with the fluted barrel that I've been looking at. Beautiful gun!! I'm just gonna take my time and enjoy researching it!! Doug:)
I've got a Ruger Mark II Government 6 7/8" Competition Pistol that I absolutely love. For a real treat, though, you need to find a gunsmith that's good with the Mark II and get a Volquartzen trigger put in. Mine has absolutely no take up and breaks extremely cleanly at somewhere below 1 lb pressure. It is a real tack driver. I've shot sub-1" groups handheld at 15 yards using the stock sights, and I'm sure it's capable of even better. For small game and plunking, it's the best bang for my buck!

If you want something to show off your skills, a Mark II/Volquartzen will let you shoot through the pull-top opening on a drink can and just shoot out the bottom. I did that at 10 yards with 10 shots about 12 years ago. I seriously doubt I could do that now, but the pistol is definitely up to it.

MadMag

Newly Enlightened
tracker870 said:
A 22 is an excellent choice for inexpensive training, plinking, etc.
Smiths are top quality. If you are thinking of a single-six, handle one first. Some hands don't match those grips (I have a 6.5" single-six in stainless & it's a beauty). The Ruger MKI, II, III are nice and affordable semis with lots of aftermarket goodies available. I use a MKIII 5.5" bull brl for Bullseye League (it's got a few add-ons).
I love revolvers; the only gripe being that you need to clean the cylinder plus the barrel! :)
--Stay Safe.

Good point about cleaning. I do a lot of handgun shooting, both revolver and auto, but for me it is much easier to clean auto's. I also have the Ruger MKI...great pistol for plinking.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt read many responses so I dont know if this was covered.

Single and double action refer to the number of actions in the movement of the hammer/striker in relation to the trigger.

If the hammer/striker is already cocked, and releases when you pull the trigger, that is 1 action. Thus the name single action.

Double action means that when you pull the trigger it cocks the hammer (or striker) and releases it at the end of the trigger stroke. That is 2 actions, thus the name double action.

A DA/SA gun is called that because of the double action trigger pull (cocking then releasing the hammer) for the first pull. The cycling of the slide then cocks the hammer for the subsequent rounds, which means the trigger only performs one action, to release the hammer.

Latest posts