How many aa batteries would it take to get decent runtime out of a 5w bulb?

Raven

Enlightened
I'd like to see Fenix sell a 5w that uses aa batteries, and I'm curious how many you'd need to get both decent output and a flat 2 hour runtime.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's make the calculation for 4 NiMH's. 2500mAh*4.8V=12Wh. Let's presume the driver circuit has an average efficacy of 80%, than the output to the LED will be 9.6Wh. That will give a runtime of 1 hour and 55 minutes. That's almost 2 hours :)

Raven said:
I'd like to see Fenix sell a 5w that uses aa batteries, and I'm curious how many you'd need to get both decent output and a flat 2 hour runtime.

According to Sanyo, you can get pretty close to the rated capacity at up to "C" rate.

Their 2.5Ah cell is rated at "2.3Ah minimum" capacity, so we'll calculate around 2.2Ah.

You will need six cells and a buck/boost converter, because the forward voltage of Luxeon V is around 6.5v(average) and six cells in series start off around 7.8v and ends at 5.5-6.0v

Assume 75% efficiency.

5watt/0.75 = 6.67watt

nominal voltage = 7.5v
6.67w/7.5v = 0.89A (increases to 1.21A near the end as battery drops in voltage)

2.2Ah/0.89A =2.47 ~ 2:30 hours. The regulator reduce the LED drive current to 25% or less once battery voltage drops to 1v/cell and shut down at 0.9v/cell to avoid polarity reversal damage to batteries.

8-10 alkaline AAs should work as well, but at the rate of five alkaline batteries per hour, its gonna get kinda expensive...

Last edited:

Raven

Enlightened
So, assuming you were using alkies, and if the configuration was 6aa, then you'd need to boost them in order to get anything approaching a decent runtime.

Ok, got it.

I was just checking out an old ad for the Brute flashlight, and wondering whether it could be modded.

Thanks

Raven said:
So, assuming you were using alkies, and if the configuration was 6aa, then you'd need to boost them in order to get anything approaching a decent runtime.

Ok, got it.

I was just checking out an old ad for the Brute flashlight, and wondering whether it could be modded.

Thanks

No.. you need 8-10 cells in series to keep the current under 500mA if you're gonna use alkalines to get a decent runtime.

Raven

Enlightened
Well the Brute uses 7aa batteries, so I guess modding one with a 5w bulb is out of the question.