Slingbox: who's got one?

guncollector

Enlightened
So, who's got one?

slingmedia.gif

Here's a screenshot from my home PC:

slingbox_screenshot.gif

PROS:
- inexpensive $250 (relatively speaking compared to other solutions, i.e. Sony's Location-free TV which runs $1500+)
- easy-to-install
- works as advertised, can view your home video source from anywhere with a PC and the SlingPlayer software

CONS:
- only 1 viewer at a time per Slingbox
- Slingbox unit itself must be LAN-cable connected to router
- definitely not HD quality, but "good enough"

If you've been on the fence, do it!

CLHC

Flashaholic
SlingBox eh? That's interesting. Never heard of it. Although I've been out of the loop regarding "electronic entertainment" and all its wonder.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I've kind of figured that I'd have a TV sigal if I had broadband available. I already have web access to my tivos, so I can change their recording options remotely when I need to. I've never needed to in the last 3 yaers.

I don't see any particular value to the slingbox for myself.

Daniel

Spudman

Enlightened
I got one last week. We don't have cable at work and I thought it would be nice to watch the NCAA from my desktop. So far it has been a no-go. I have a problem somewhere with my router and can't watch the signal from a remote location. It works fine at home, but that doesn't help much. (Kentucky is out of the tournament now too)

I might try to troubleshoot it today and see if I can get it working.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought about buying one....

But instead, I use the free Windows Media Encoder to do sort of the same thing.

I can watch live TV on my Pocket PC over my local wireless network, or even tune in over the internet from anywhere that has a broadband connection. Can also stream recorded videos and music from the hard drive.

Of course you need a TV tuner card or adapter for your computer... I use a fourty dollar USB device I got from NewEgg.

Here are instructions on setting it up:
Streaming TV over network

guncollector

Enlightened
FYI, Slingmedia, maker of the Slingbox, is coming out with SlingPlayer Mobile (for Pocket PC's)...its in beta right now.

Streaming video over the internet (i.e. "location-free tv" or "place-shifting") in realtime is great for travelling folks like me. Especially while overseas, because now, I can get Foxnews, local sports programming, or ESPN, or Discovery Channel, etc.

Spudman

Enlightened
I called tech support and they fixed my problem in about five minutes! It turns out my dsl modem was also acting as a router and I had to take that into account. I changed the settings and now I'm watching my home tv from the office. So far it's all working fine. I can change the channel and program favorite channels. The audio and video is only mediocre, but it is actually better than I was expecting for streaming video.

Now for some real multi-tasking. :whistle:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howard Stern advertises for it...I'm sold! LOL

guncollector said:
So, who's got one?

slingmedia.gif

Here's a screenshot from my home PC:

slingbox_screenshot.gif

PROS:
- inexpensive $250 (relatively speaking compared to other solutions, i.e. Sony's Location-free TV which runs $1500+)
- easy-to-install
- works as advertised, can view your home video source from anywhere with a PC and the SlingPlayer software

CONS:
- only 1 viewer at a time per Slingbox
- Slingbox unit itself must be LAN-cable connected to router
- definitely not HD quality, but "good enough"

If you've been on the fence, do it!