SL 4AA PP Luxeon, anyone reverse engineered the driver yet?

:whistle:

I only have one and I really don't want to disassemble mine, but has anyone here reverse engineered theirs yet?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually not all that sophisticated. It's a buck circuit; they have a very flat output when sufficiently over-volted.

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
grinser2.gif
yes i`m guilty !! i had one of them wonderful ideas where i would take apart (cannibalize) the SL propolymer luxeon to make a cycle light
.... yeah so stick in a TXOH , 5 x AA battery pack and bingo !!! cheap/quick answer to an occasional spot of off road dirt trackin at night... well
READ MY LIPS when i say "you can`t get to the emmitter", the alloy heat sink is pressed onto the alloy reflector with some serious brute force and it aint never ever gonna come off !!! ......... ah well, at least i managed to salvage the clicky switch
yellowlaugh.gif

Phaserburn said:
It's actually not all that sophisticated. It's a buck circuit; they have a very flat output when sufficiently over-volted.

It's not a simple dropper buck circuit. When you decrease the voltage, it draws more current meaning that it doesn't get less efficient as the battery voltage gets higher.

With a 0.1 ohm shunt in series and my frequency counter connected across the shunt, it detects around 100KHz which means the circuit is a switching regulator, which offers better efficiency over the full range of battery voltage.

This circuit can be useful for using it in conjunction with a Luxeon Star for other sutff. The real question is what IC is used for PWM control.

If nobody has done it, it could very well mean I'll have to buy another one and go at it with a drill and a Dremel until the driver circuit is exposed.

Last edited: