Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M3T or M4?

Default M3T or M4?

I'm considering the purchase of a new light and I was wondering how great the difference between the Surefire M3T and the M4. I'm also considering the higher initial cost and battery cost (6 vs. 3 or 4) has got me a bit down on that light. So, how does the M3T compare to the M4?

Flashaholic

Default Re: M3T or M4?

Most find the M4 body is terrible and the M3T's output/runtime leaves something to be desired so a common fix is to buy an M3T and use an A19 to run the M4's bulbs.

I'd go for the M3T over the M4.

If you're tempted by the M4 you should save that bit more and get an M6.

This is one of my favorite topics, also one of my biggest dilemmas..(was)
    It turns out 9/10 people do prefer the M3 to the M4, the M3 is apparently far nicer to handle, as well as having the ability to add an inexpensive 1 cell extender to allow the light to accept 4 cells, thus allowing it to use a bulb designed for 4 cells, ie the M4..
    1 cell extender
    Most say the M4 is kinda awkward to handle, while the M3 is more than a pleasure..
    Good luck in your quest! Next you get to explore the rechargeable solutions for the Lights, this is yet another reason to lean towards the M3.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Flashaholic*

Thinking Re: M3T or M4?

I would be the (ONE) that likes the M4 better I have 2 of them I sold my M3T but kept the M3 and still have an L6 so I can "make" a M3T if I want. Nothing wrong with the M3T..I just like the M4 better.
    Topper

Flashaholic*

I'd be another one that favors the M4. Over the years I've owned three M6's, one M4, and one M3T. I've sold all of them, but I'm getting another M4 in a week or two. I prefer the body of the M4 over the M3T or the M6. I may get another M6 sometime in the future, but I'm definitely hanging on to the M4 once I get it.

-Keith
    Ha ha, you fool!! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia; and only slightly less well known is this: Never go against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!

Flashaholic*

I also like the M4 better. I held the M3T and M4 at a gun and knife show and bought the M4. I think the lumen figure got me. The M6 is too big in diameter for me.

I should note that I only use the M4 light to check outside noises. And to shine in any car that my daughter decides to sit in (a little to long) in the driveway! And if that doesn't work I then "upgrade" to the 10 million CP spotlight.

Good luck.

rob

I have a love-hate relationship with my M4.

I don't like the appearance. I don't like the balance in the hand. I don't like the way the handle is essentially a long, thin rod with really nasty, sharp knurling. The knurling is a disadvantage for me - I don't want to saw through "lesser" flashlights (like the SureFire claim goes) - that's silly. I do, however, wan't to be able to put my flashlights into contact with other things without worrying about what damage they will do! Aesthetically, it's about as bad as it gets for me.

However, I really like the more important things that the M4 provides. I think it's the "sweet spot" in the SureFire "big-boy" line-up, in terms of light output / runtime / running cost / weight. I much prefer these stats for the M4 with LOLA than the M6 with HOLA, for example.

"225" lumens, turbohead, 4 batteries, 1hr runtime, is a good combination for me, when comparing SF M3/M4/M6.

Flashaholic*

I like the M4, but I prefer the M3T & M6 to the M4.

I have one M3T, one M4 and two M6's. I might buy another M3T, but I doubt if I will ever buy another M4.

The lenght of the M4 makes it feel awkward to me. I added a SW02 and that seemed to help, plus the M4 just looks cool with the SW02 and a FM27 beamcover.
    Last edited by Hoghead; 03-31-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tntsl
    I'm considering the purchase of a new light and I was wondering how great the difference between the Surefire M3T and the M4. I'm also considering the higher initial cost and battery cost (6 vs. 3 or 4) has got me a bit down on that light. So, how does the M3T compare to the M4?
    Either light can easily be configured to accommodate rechargeables, so you don't need to worry about batteries too much. Really the preference is the form factor. I prefer the M3T and sold the M4. Like others said, the M4 doesn't balance right in the hand and seems a bit long. The M3T has a better feel. But you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by leukos; 03-21-2006 at 03:46 PM.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Their pulling your leg, get the M3..
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Flashaholic*

What tail switch is that in the photo by Leukos?

The round body of the M4 was more attractive to me than the stepped down areas on the M3T. I find the body length of 6 volt lights such as the 6P to be too short, and find a 9 volt body just about ideal, so for me an M4 feels pretty good. Mounted on the side of my coyote rifle for "redneck nightvison" the body profile doen't matter.

I've played flashlight leggos with a 9P/KT-2/A19 and run the M4 lamps, so I'll admit an M3T will be pretty versatile. But I figure, if I'm carrying the bulk of a Turbo head, I may as well "go for the gusto" and run a 12 volt system like the M4. But I don't ever hand hold a light and handgun simultaneously (Roger's technique?), which is the M2/M3 series reason for being, IMO.

Paladin

M4
    9P/KT-2
    9P/KL-3
    9P/Z32
    6P/A19
    6P NRA model bought at gunowners Mecca (the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, Va.) to commemorate upgrading my membership to "LIFE" last fall)

Post Re: M3T or M4?

Quote Originally Posted by MicroE
    What tail switch is that in the photo by Leukos?
    It is an SW02. Not only looks great with the M series lights but seems to be a heavy duty and reliable switch as well.

M3T is the most flexible since it can be converted into an M4 or an M3.

"It is better to light one multi-kilowatt xenon arc megalight than to curse the darkness."

Flashaholic

I struggled with the same question some time ago too. I ended up getting the M3T and then added an A19 and MN61 LA. I also like the form factor of the M3T over the M4 - it "feels" better in your hand and is easier to carry in your back pocket or coat pocket if needed. It is also flexible - with the A19 you can turn the M3T into an M4 if you want. You really can't go wrong with either one. Then there's the M6........

Flashaholic*

Flash---Thanks. I need to get one of those switches.---Marc

It doesn't sound like I'll really go wrong with either light. At this point, I'm leaning towards the M3T because it sounds like I could get that one and with a few extras, it could be an M3, M3T, or an M4. So, where do I get the extras?

I just thought I'd share some photos that people may find useful:

Al, I REALLY think you need to sell me a Turbo head or two!!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

Go with the SureFire M3/M3T and the SF.M6. That's all—

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!
    LUX'Ottica

Does anyone have any beamshots showing an M3, M3T and M4?
    Surefire: E2E~E2L~M2~L5~M4~A2
    Mods: Arcmania 5W Surefire turbohead module
    A2 with White SMJLEDs and GID
    M4-6 (220/500 Lumens)

Quote Originally Posted by bwaites
    Al, I REALLY think you need to sell me a Turbo head or two!!

Bill
    If I told you I didn't have any spare would you believe me?

Al,

You probably have enough SF to outfit your local PD or a small military unit.
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Well one at least - one of my mates is going through training to become a Police Officer. He has a U2 with Pila kit, L4 (backup) and soon he'll have my TigerLight (8") which JS has upgraded. Certainly I feel far more confident in giving my mate the TigerLight now even though it's not a SureFire.
    I'm hope that he'll be carrying something rechargeable from SureFire by the end of the year that will be the envy of well, pretty much everybody...

No Al, I don't believe it!!

WOW, I've been impressed by your collection in the past, but all those Turbos are cool!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

This is a more recent photo of the Millennium TurboHeads
    (although it doesn't have an scalloped versions in it)

Well, I will go against the normal flow of this thread. I had an M3T, an M4, and now have two M6's (one with an MN20 one with a 5W LED Tower LED Module). To me, the M4 is too long and does not offer enough runtime. To me the M3 or M3T does not offer enough runtime. For the "relatively" thicker body, the M6 does it all and it does it very well.

So I would say, no to the M3/M3T/M4. Save your money and get an M6. With the regulated/rechargable solutions that will be available this year, you will be set

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Al, no wonder Surefire charges so much for them, you have a corner on them!

Again, WOW!

Bill
    Benjamin Franklin

Many of them are the old style with Lexan window so you're looking at a slice of time here. Several are ruined as a result of field-testing the M3T as it developed. One Lexan version was ruined when an M6 lamp exploded in it after it filled with water (hot-tub back in 2000)
    During the development of the Pyrex window version the M3T and M6 were subjected to abuse once more. I did not break any windows which continues to impressive me when I think about the accidents I made them have!

For me, the M3T is for when I don't have the pockets for the M6 or the desire to carry the weight/bulk of the M6 around.

The M4's length is an carry issue for me. However, the M4 with the N62 is when I need maximum output with minimium weight.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast