Is this possible?

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
Recently I purchased a Ridgid combo 18v cordless tool set.

One of the tools is a 18 volt flashlight. I like it's construction and form, but I'm hating it's light bulb. So far I've gone through 4 of them. They seem to be extremely fragile and the slightest jolt will knock 'em out.

It's an 18v 6.5 amp bulb, #780204001.

Can anyone suggest some way for me to outfit a LED(s) as a replacement?

I'm pretty handy with physicals mods, but nnot the sharpest when it comes to electronics, but if need be I can make things work, given some guidance.

So, anyone offer any ideas?

Thanks!

antidark

WNG

Enlightened
simplest mod would be to replace the bulb with a Luxeon Star 1W or 3W and wire it in series to a resistor that you must add. The light must have sufficient space and can withstand some heat. To step down the 18V to ~4V for a Luxeon will produce some heat.
A step-down driver circuit is more efficient, but sounds like the light gets rough treatment. And the board may not take to shock well, whereas a simple resistor would.

Another alternative is to run 4 luxeon stars in series to take advantage of the 18V source. Still need a resistor to limit and safeguard the LEDs, but boy will it be bright!

go to:
http://www.luxeonstar.com/application-notes.php

They have a lot of data and a resistor calculator to assist you in wiring stars.