LED-Flex: An Efficient Substitute For Neon ...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
"How many times have you seen a broken or flickering neon light? Durability is not one neon's strengths. But now a new product, LED-Flex, has been introduced as a substitute for neon. The producer, Mule Lighting, has managed to make the flexible LEDs have the appearance and brightness of neon. The biggest advantage of this product is the efficiency level — it reduces energy costs by about 70%. It also has all the advantages of LEDs — durability, a cool operating temperatures and longevity."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/03/led_flex_an_eff.php

mahoney

Enlightened
I wondered when someone here would discover Enlighted Designs. I have seen that bra in person, and it is quite amusing. The proprietress has a wicked sense of humor and also makes much more demure LED and/or EL clothing items. She can put some highly sophisticated control circuitry in them as well, if you've got the money.

Now to drag the thread back on topic, looking at the brochure for LED-Flex, I noticed there's a "cutting unit". I wonder if this means the LEDs are in series inside the tube, and if one fails, do you lose a length equal to the "cutting unit"?

asif2002

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody used NEON FLEX for Channel Lettering on a Sign?
Also, what about RGB NEON FLEX for lighting a large commercial building?

dkushner

Newly Enlightened
"How many times have you seen a broken or flickering neon light? Durability is not one neon's strengths. But now a new product, LED-Flex, has been introduced as a substitute for neon. The producer, Mule Lighting, has managed to make the flexible LEDs have the appearance and brightness of neon. The biggest advantage of this product is the efficiency level — it reduces energy costs by about 70%. It also has all the advantages of LEDs — durability, a cool operating temperatures and longevity."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/03/led_flex_an_eff.php

The relies to the article make me very skeptical.