Just got an Inova X5... my first good LED.

zulu45

Enlightened
I've gotta say, I didn't even know LED lights have advanced like this. I remember the only LED lights I had before were only dim lights, which had little to no practical use, aside from examining my firearms and working on computers. But on a whim, I decided to try out the X5, and I'm officially hooked.

When it comes to LED lights, I'll admit, I'm a total newbie. I really don't know what the different types of LEDs are, what they're called, or anything like that. But I am glad that this is a nice little light, which I now carry on me at all times, replacing my 2xAA Mini Mag w/ LED conversion kit. I've just got a few questions concerning this light, really.

What can I expect from it in terms of battery life? Is it something that's cost effective to use as an everyday light? Or should it be for emergancy only?

And, more-so, how is it on water resistance? Granted, I don't intend on submerging this light, although accidents can always happen, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use this thing in the rain.

I also picked up, for the hell of it, a River Rock 2xAAA LED light, which also surprised me. IF the X5 isn't practical for battery life to be used as my main, I'll probably use this RR, as it's brightness is sufficient for the uses I have.

I'm thinking about getting the RR LED lantern for my parents, to where they don't have to fumble with candles during a power outage. Hopefully it'll be sufficient, but not entirely sure.

Any advice or info on any of these lights, particularly the RR lantern and the X5 would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, I'm new here, and I hope to not be TOO much of a burden... :D

Navck

Enlightened
Its susposed to be waterproof to 50 or so feet. I tested mine in a sink. It passed great while the MiniM*g next to it drowned. But this was a few years ago...

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

The Inova X5 is a great light. Tough, good runtime, just about the perfect size in my opinion.

Have you checked www.flashlightreviews.com for comparison to other lights? There are many lights that have *really* incredible performance compared to the X5!

Scott

zulu45

Enlightened
That's nice to know, definately. I guess I'll use my Mini Mag, but for only crap jobs that'll probably result in it's destruction... although after reading the thread about the one dude who had to perform multiple attempts to destroy it, I don't think it'll ever come to that.

Any info concerning the battery life, though?

seaward

Newly Enlightened
The X5 is rated for 20 hours of light, I have had a couple of them and have yet to change the batteries. Although not sure exactly how much time they have on them but it is a lot! Very long lasting.. Great light good luck with yours!

zulu45

Enlightened
I just checked that website, beezaur, but I'm a bit confused. Mine doesn't look like the X5T or the X5. It has a hex shape to it, like the new ones shown on the Inova website. It doesn't have as much of a spotlight beam, as the one on the X5 archived review. Either way, though, it answered my question, giving 20 hours of light. That seems pretty good, especially considering the price of the batteries at the Surefire website.

EDIT: After doing some reading, I found out that this isn't the original one, since it didn't have a push button. I'm guessing, since this is the one shown on the website, that it's the newest one, but I'm no expert.

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF! Sounds like you got the latest X5. It's a great light with good runtime. You should get alot of use with it. The River Rock/Nuwai TM-311 is a good light as well. Now that your at CPF, you will likely be buying more lights soon :naughty:

zulu45

Enlightened
LOL, You're right about that, gonna be buying more lights soon... very soon. Gonna go to Target tomorrow, see if they have the new X1 (I don't like the old one), and probably pick up one of the RR lanterns. May pick up one of those leather Minimag holsters for the hell of it, too.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great! You may want to look at the Inova Radiant 2AA and 2AAA. The first is a lux I and the 2nd a Nichia CS. Good priced lights and they work pretty well. Good hunting!

zulu45

Enlightened
I'll check them out. I know that they're at the Target here, and since I'm a fan of Inova now, I could try getting one of those, and keep my RR3xAAA in my car, or something.

EDIT: Well, I've decided that tomorrow (technically today) I'm gonna check both Targets here in Evansville, see if either of them have the new X1 lights. According to flashlightreviews.com, the X1s give off better light, and lasts longer on a single AA battery. I just hope they have the new ones.

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Inova lights are great,well built lights for the money,my x5 gets quite a lot of use,long battery life as you have found out from some other fans of this light,get your batteries on line much cheaper. The RR lantern is a crowd pleaser around CPF I like mine that I got at Target, quite bright for its size.

carrot

Flashaholic
The X5 is a very nice light. I feed it "used" batteries that won't light up my incandescent lights, and it lasts for a long amount of time before it's too dim to see by.

My X5 is the newest version, with the newer, brighter LEDs, and I brought mine into the shower to test out its water resistance. It doesn't look waterproof, but it seems to be.

I think that the one with the octagonal body is called the X5, and is the third revision... the second being the X5T featured on Flashlightreviews.com.

zulu45

Enlightened
Just added to the collection, picked up a new X1, bumping my RR 3xAAA out of the way as my alkaline primary.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi zulu 45,:)
congratulations to your inova, it's a very good light with a good runtime.
Very helpfully is a clip on this. It's easy to do. Look at this:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111217
If you look tomorow (today?) for other lights, take a look to fenix.
The food (AA's) is very cheap and the throw is much much better than the X5.
I wish you luck and best regards

___
Tom

BR549

Newly Enlightened
I am also relatively new to the world of LED lights - If you liked the X5 you will probably also like the Streamlight ProPolymer Luxeon. It's a great light for about 25 bucks - I ended up getting 2 and this one works great on AA rechargeables. Also if you have an old 3D mag laying around try the DB 3W drop in - I am still amazed at how this transformed my mag light into a long running light source. Both can be found on the flashlight reviews site listed earlier in the thread.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
As everone will tell you, the X5 is a good light. I find it bright enough for all indoor uses, and most outdoor uses. It's easy on the batteries. (make sure you buy them online--you'll save a ton of $$) But I find it's best quality is it's toughness. It's probably the toughest light I own. I know it'll last for many years to come, even if it becomes obsolete.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
i have one and its the best light for searcing a cell yet. i got my wife a uv version because she loves csi. just dont use it in a hotel room.

tracker870

Enlightened
The X5 is a great flood, and a super battery drainer!
I have one, and my wife has one.
(adding the X1 from Target to the list...)

Last edited: