Hurricane on it's way NY, it's your own fault apparently !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just watched a report on UK TV.

Apparently Hurricanes on their way, targetting New York and the East Coast this time.

Hurricane season is coming again we are told.

Yet still, President "Ostrich" Bush denies / refuses to sign up to any Global Warming treaties, ie Kyoto etc. He apparently won't even discuss it.

The Hurricane Katrina that hit New Orleans apparently was intensified by the warmer Gulf of Mexico, caused by Global Warming.

Why does the US Government not accept that the USA appears to be the largest air polluter, and contributor to Global Warming, or so we are informed here.

With it's cheap petrol, gas guzzling cars, and industrial practises.

Yes, we all contribute to GW, but at least here in the UK, as elsewhere, we have plans to do something about it.

Is it to do with the US dependence on oil, locally produced and imported ?

This, again we are told, is why the US keeps trying to defend it's oil supplies from abroad, through wars etc.

What do you think ?

Is this policy being decided by the US Government, or can it be promoted by the population to be otherwise.

Ie: would you like to do your bit for Global Warming, and thereby reduce these more intense Hurricane that appear to be striking your communities more often these days, with worse to come.

So, it's time to buy your batteries, test your torches, and start saving your water, ready for the next "self induced" disaster.

Yes, these happened in the past, before industrialisation, but are they not worse now ?

As I say, this is what we are presented with over here in the UK, are you being mis-represented ?

If so, what are the true facts ?

Last edited:

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Re: Hurricane on it's way NY, it's your own fault !!

I normally stay away from posts like this b/c they tend to go south quick, but I felt compelled to respond to a couple of points.

1. Hurricane season just passed...and any place along the water is technically a target, so to say that NY is a target "this time" is a bit off base.

2. Global warming is at it states, a global problem. Is the US the biggest contributer? I find this hard to believe. I would look to other countries at large sources, with higher populations...i.e. India, China, Japan...and yes the UK.

And the last time I checked the UK has it's fair share of "gas guzzling" cars. I don't recall the UK being the center of the hybrid car industry.
Your arguments are very one sided and almost bordering a Anti -US sentiment. Now if you changed the tone of your post to reflect a general state of misproportioned global response, then I would agree. And I don't think Jolly Ole England would have jumped in to the Iraq war with the US if they thought it were entirely about oil...or if they didn't benefit from that oil in some way.

Just my .02

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

RemingtonBPD said:
And the last time I checked the UK has it's fair share of "gas guzzling" cars. I don't recall the UK being the center of the hybrid car industry.
Just my .02

A typical average MPG in the UK is in the high 30's, many in their 40's.

In the US ?

There are some "gas guzzzlers" in the UK, a minority, and with strict CO emission controls, less polluting overall.

Perhaps because we take more interest in WorldWide effects, and are in general less introspective, we care more.

Which is why we sign up to Kyoto, etc Global Warming and Greenhouse Gases reduction policies.

As far as I am aware, and we are informed, the US does neither, am I wrong.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
As I say, this is what we are presented with over here in the UK, are you being mis-represented ?

If so, what are the true facts ?

As above, which is the main point .

Empath

Flashaholic

As was suggested, the Underground is the place to promote such intense political discussion. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.