Flag poles?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Powernoodle needs to buy a flag pole. Those of you who have one - do you like a collapsable flavor or a rigid model that you assemble in sections? What are the advantages?

No jokes your pole please. :nana:

peace

MoonRise

Enlightened
What general size are you looking for? No, that's not a joke.

Looking for a "hanging off the side of the house" pole? Usually about 3 feet long. I'd prefer the solid wood versus the 3-section thin-wall skinny steel pole. Why? Because the skinny thin-walled steel pole fails in a moderately strong wind with a flag attached.

Looking for a vertical "front yard" flag pole? Unless you want to spend big bucks for a one-piece pole, you're almost stuck with a sectional.

Oh, and budget usually matters too. If budget doesn't matter, get a one-piece pole made of stainless steel, titanium, or maybe HA aluminum. Yeah, that's it, a 20 foot tall HA aluminum flagpole. With a 24k gold-plated eagle on top of the ball at the top. And a nice solid footing for it, let's say 2ft by 2ft by 4ft deep for typical soil conditions, deeper for poor ground conditions. Order 2 yd3 of 5000 psi concrete. :nana:

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I have a 25' fiberglass (hollow) pole that sits in a metal sleeve that is cemented in the ground.
I usually fly a 4X6 flag on it, but the power supply to my light crapped out last fall, so I havent been flying Ol' Glory since then. I could raise it at dawn and lower at dusk, but the snow on the ground makes that a PITA.
My wife got it for my birthday several years ago. I think it was about $300 installed with a really nice flag.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
After further cogitation, I think I've decided on a 25' telescoping pole with 4x6' flag from www.uncommonusa.com. Saw one at the Nat'l Farm Machinery show a few weeks ago, and just now took a look at one at a neighbor's house. His is 20' with a 3x5' flag and seems just a little puny. The telescoping flavor is real nice because there are no pullies, wires, etc., and you can collapse it if you encounter any 900 mph winds.

peace

javafool

Enlightened
You can always lower the flag before those 900mph winds and the bare flagpole holds up very well. My neighbor has a telescoping pole and the only disadvantage I have seen is trying to fly the flag at half mast when you want to show respect following a difficult time. It just doesn't convey the 1/2 mast respect very well by telescoping it half way down.

I haven't been in Sams Club for quite a while, but they had a very nice 3-piece aluminum pole, 20 - 25', for a reasonable price the last time I looked.

Our kids bought us an inexpensive flagpole for Christmas about three years ago, I guess. Just what I didn't want, a flagpole. I finally planted the thing in front of the house several months later, went to Lowe's and bought a 50w halogen accent light with the day/night sensor so I didn't have to raise and lower the flag daily. What a wonderful present it has been. That red, white, and blue has graced our home almost every day since. When this one finally bites the dust, it will be promptly be replaced with a nice aluminum pole.

Good choice powernoodle. Whatever you finally get I think you will enjoy!

Terry

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
javafool said:
My neighbor has a telescoping pole and the only disadvantage I have seen is trying to fly the flag at half mast

The one I'm getting has an attachment point at half mast. :twothumbs

Terry: Mrs. Powernoodle and I honeymooned at Clearwater in August, 1992. Our passion was so intense that it caused hurricane Andrew.

cheers

javafool

Enlightened
The half mast attachment will solve the issue I had with the telescoping flagpole for sure !!!

When you and the Mrs. return to relive that intense and exciting experience in Clearwater, may I suggest you come during the wonderful time of the year known as winter. I have experienced all of the hurricane excitement I care to, as the last direct hit to Tampa Bay was in 1921, long before my time. I don't want to be anywhere close for the next hit. Must be those 900mph winds you mentioned earlier??

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly OT, but I once made a bunch for vehicles.. After checking into all the laws and regulations I managed to fly an American flag on the back of my Avalanche, of course only on the 4th of July, and related holidays..
In retrospect it was kinda tacky, but on the right day people would drive beside me honking with pride!
You have to scroll down a bit..
Pyd's poles