Maglite LED Upgrades?

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to this site and was wondering what is the best LED upgrade and where to buy it at for a mini maglite and a 4 D maglite? I would like to keep it under $40 if possible.

Thanks,
Darrell

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

For that price, you can get a Terralux TL-5 (led-replacement.com has lowest prices) for your minimag, which has a Luxeon LED. If you prefer 5mm LED's, then you could get an Opalec Newbeam or one of the Nite-Ize LED drop-ins for the minimag.

For your 4D Mag, you might look into an EverLED. I'm not sure if DiamondLED has a 4-cell version.

In any case, have you been to theledmuseum.org and flashlightreviews.com? Both are sites run by CPF'ers and you'll find *loads* of excellent reviews (on these products) and almost every other light out there.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a release date nearing you may want to check out the mag LED's when they are released. I heard they will be around $23.00 but the performance has not yet be documented.

I can't wait!!!!

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF Darrell!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :wave:

Bozzlite

Enlightened
I am very happy with the TLE-5 drop-ins that I have. They all put out plenty of light. And have a very nice beam, if you are lucky enuff to get the ones with the new style reflector.

I have 6 of these 1Watt LEDs and they all have a slightly different color tint ranging from bright white to light green to light blue. But you can't really see the difference until you turn them on side by side.

The nite ize drop-ins are good too, but don't provide quite as much light. At only about $6.00 they are about 1/4 the cost of the TLE-5.

You can use the Diamond DB-3W in your 4D mag, but you would need to replace one D cell with a dummy battery so that would defeat the purpose of having a 4D light.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok ok ok my 2 cents lol

THe only Terralux i did not like was the AAA mini mag model. It's way too tinted and not really bright

the tle-5 is the winner by far.... even the everled was not as awesome!

Racer944

Newly Enlightened
Disclaimer:First post, I have 2 4Cell D Maglites.

So I've searched here for a little while and have gotten the idea that the TLE-5 is THE upgrade to get, am I right?

I've looked through those links and have found what I believe is the right upgrade, here http://www.led-replacement.com/ba2-tle5.html.

From what I understand, this will basically make it brighter, last longer, and give me a better resale value on my house. Just checking before I put up any money (I'm a poor college kid).

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, can anyone point me to a weighted end cap for 4Cell D Mag, and possibly a Neoprene cover for the handle (it gets a little too cold sometimes)?

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Racer944: Do NOT get the BA-2, it's disappointing. Have tried it, didn't like the beam profile (pretty unusable, w/very small hotspot as well as large but VERY weak sidespill), and returned it for refund.

Also, installation is quite a hassle, and you're very likely to damage (misalign) the TLE-5's bottom pins during uninstallation.

Try these instead. And get some dummy cells if necessary:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs3w.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/terralux_tle-6n.htm

BTW the Neoprene covers from NiteIze are quite easy to get, see website for details. And sorry no info on the weighted end cap, guess you'll have to mod it yourself.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, racer!
Yes, the TL-5 is a great starter drop-in. There are other more sophisticated mods, but you'll get there eventually. :devil:

Checkout Nite-Ize products, they have sleeves for the larger Mags.

jlomein

Enlightened
I'm new to the forums as well. I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay for this Terralux TLE5 mod for minimag, or if I should get a Fenix L2P.

Looking at prices I can get a TLE5 kit shipped for $31US, or a Fenix L2P shipped for $42US.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
jlomein said:
I'm new to the forums as well. I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay for this Terralux TLE5 mod for minimag, or if I should get a Fenix L2P.

Looking at prices I can get a TLE5 kit shipped for $31US, or a Fenix L2P shipped for $42US.

there is currently a sale on Fenix lights (see other thread in this forum) so the Fenix should be about $34 shipped.... I think I'd go for the Fenix ;)

01foreman400

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice. I placed an order with led-replacement.com for a Terralux TL-5. I think I'm going to go with the Diamond DB-3W for my 4 D cell Maglite. I just bought a Fenix L2P so I'm have to wait on the DB-3W.

Thanks,
Darrell