What's happening with Inova QC?

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have others noted a trend toward lesser QC with the Inova low end lights? In the last few days I have seen threads about the new X1 lenses falling off after only being glued on. There were also claims about the tailcap being fitted poorly for momentary operation. I was on my way back from Boston to Cape Cod tonight and I stopped at a Target store. I was looking for another Radiant 2AAA Inova light. I was shocked by what I saw in the Inova section of the flashlight isle. There were 5 Radiant 2AAA lights there. 2 of the 5 had completely unpolished reflectors. They were more gray than the titanium bodies of an X5. There were also 4 Radiant 2AA lux I lights there. 1 of those also had a reflector in the same condition. Just for the heck of it, I looked at the new X1s. Out of the 4 newer type X1s, 2 had the lenses seperated from the lights and rattling in the packages. I found this disturbing. I notified an employee there and he said he would remove the ones with the seperated lenses. As far as the reflector ones, he said "oh well", I doubt anyone would notice such things. I just left the store in frustration.
I sure hope this trend is not happening nationwide. I am a big Inova fan. Many of my emergency communications team members have recently bought Inova higher end lights like the T3,T5,X5 with absolutely no degredation of the super quality we have come to know. I only seem to see it on the lower end lights (20.00 and under). I wonder if this is a cost cutting issue that has bitten them back or a real unintended QC problem? Anyone else see these problems with their lights?

Fieldops

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this isn't the thin end of the wedge!

I too have a great liking for INOVA lights,and tend to EDC them always (T1 and Old styleX1-various colours), so the thought that they are less reliable makes me worried.

It occurs to me that Radiants and X1s will be fast shifting stock compared to the higher end lights therefore if it is an overall shift in design/QC/cost cutting/whatever, we may not have seen its full extent yet.

I'm reasonably sure this is just a blip in an otherwise blemish free company history and I will certainly hold judgement until the new stock hits my neck of the woods (UK).

...You live in hope...I live in a Winnebago...my dog lives in fear...

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
fieldops said:
Have others noted a trend toward lesser QC with the Inova low end lights? ....

At the other end of the product line, I am delighted so far with my new Inova T4 flashlight and charger.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new T5 was of very recent production and is typical Inova good quality build. Hopefully its only an issue with the low end lights. It's still bad because it casts a blemish over their entire product line. Alot of people choose Inova because of the quality build. Lose that and you lose many customers.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:wow: I've always had high regard for Inova's quality machining and finish. My X5-HA :rock: :) and all the other Inova's I've seen seem well built.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I picked up a X1 a few weeks ago with the new reflector lens and am quite happy with it. The tail switch works perfectly, and the battery doesn't rattle around if I shake it. Seems like great light for under $20 to me.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Your observations and comments are worrying and I'm sure Inova would be just as keen to know about this issue as you are. Do not assume Inova has deliberately let is QC slip? It may be that they know nothing of this problem at a higher level of management and will only become aware of it when the complaints begin to stack up.

I would at least give Inova the benefit of doubt by emailing them with your concerns. If they don't reply or brush it off then there is a problem. If they answer positively I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it.

Kind regards

Doug

SonnyD

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they hired someone from Surefire to do their QC.........sorry i couldn't help myself:grin2: .........it seems like there's a lot of complaints about QC lately, and not just flashlights. The only 2 Inova's I have were recently purchased, and are both fine, especially at the 20.00 mark.

Regards Sonny

ront

Newly Enlightened
This thread kind of makes me wonder if it's just a matter of time before something goes wrong with my new X1. Maybe I should return it and get an X5. I like the X1 just running on 1 AA though.

Ron

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I would at least give Inova the benefit of doubt by emailing them with your concerns. If they don't reply or brush it off then there is a problem. If they answer positively I'm sure we'd all like to hear about it...
I also love INOVAs and share all of your concerns. I wouldn't normally say this about a light manufacturer but I think we need to be patient in our communications with INOVA.

I seem to recall a thread some time ago (way before these dreadfull QC issues came up) where some members were very frustrated in getting email responses from INOVA. It finally came out that it's a family business and (I think) the son who handled the email end was pretty much swamped all of the time with various procurement issues from a multitude of military organizations located all over the world. It seems that, at least at that time, answering questions from individual CPFers was a ways down the list of thier priorities. IIRC they were also somewhat understandably miffed at having to take time out from their day to field complaints about the tints of LEDs in individual CPFers lights who wanted to exchange them.

Again, I'm concerned enough about this that I am holding off on buying two more INOVAs that are on my list right now. I just wanted to bring in a little CPF/INOVA history that I think we should try to keep in mind. The issues are real but we have to remember that CPF is a pretty tiny part of what goes on at INOVA and if we want to continue to have any impact on them, IMO we need to be patient and keep things in perspective.

It may even be more effective to not mention CPF in your queries. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud.

Thanks for reading.

seaward

Newly Enlightened
When my Inova X1 lost its lens I really thought maybe it never had one after all the X5s do not so I e-mailed the customer service before I looked at others to ensure I got the right response. It just did not seem right. I will attach the e-mail to and from Inova customer service.

Some you may be surprised, perhaps I did not explain my question good enough for them. I think I did though and welcome feedback.

Here it is:

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:31:32 -0500
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: New Inova X1 question

Hello,

I recently purchased one of your Inova x1 flashlight and am very happy with it. I do however have a question for you. Is this light supposed to have a lens on it? I know you have two versions of this light and mine is the flood/New version with the reflector.

Many thanks,

Greg

--

Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 2:28 PM
To: Removed for privacy
Subject: Re: New Inova X1 question

The X1 has been redesigned to provide as much power and output as possible utilizing new technology.

There is no lens on the X1 we now use reflector technology.

Please don't hesitate to contact me should you need further assistance.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

--
Customer Service
401.294.2030 X.204
[email protected]

Emissive Energy Corp.
135 Circuit Drive
North Kingstown, RI 02852
www.inovalight.com

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess they think of 'lens' as in actually optically affecting the output beam!

But, I cannot think of another term for what to call the clear piece of glass/plastic that covers the reflector assembly - uh - maybe window will do.

I have also emailed them so we shall see if they try the same linguistic shunt!

As a matter of fact, does this light actually need a window in front of the led?

Other than compromising water resistance?

Maybe someone who has one can perform a bucket/time test without window/lens to reassure us.

...I knew it was too good to be true!...

ADDED: If you look at the inside pics of the new X1 on another thread, there is no O ring around the led to offer water resitance.Indeed since the bezel/reflector assembly forms part of the circuit, I don't see any way there can be water resistance without a lens/window.

Back to you INOVA...QC? or just manufacturing mistakes!

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Sounds like something got lost it translation,but at least they got back to you.I have about eight Inova lights and so far so good,but the switch was acting a little flakey on my new x5. Some times it would not light up,after playing around with it some what it seems to have fixed it self,bad contact? Still I think its a great product,and I trust it to work when needed. If qc is a issue hope its just a small bump in the road,and not a trend.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was just a translation issue. Maybe try calling it a window on the next correspondence. I would do so as well, but my windows on my X1s are still intact. It would be better coming from someone who has the problem in question. I must say I have had super customer service from Inova recently. I lost a T3 tailcap in a howling snowstorm in February. They sent me 2 new ones free of charge! I agree with those suggesting that we not jump to conclusions about Inova QC. I do suggest that those who have the problems inform Inova ASAP, even if you still intend to return the light to Target. They may act quickly if one of their largest retailers seems to be having issues with some of their lights. I'm hoping it is just a bad run or something.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The package on my new Radiant 2AAA says "made in the USA with US and imported parts". Hopefully that is still correct. I guess we'll see how this all plays out.