Fixing an older 2AA Mag light

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
I have an older 2AA maglight (purple if it matters) that recently broke on me. It has given me several years of loyal service and would liek to fix it rather than replace it. the bulb stopped working one day so my first action was to replace the batteries, however this didnt solve my proble. I then went to my local Home Deopt and bought a replacement bulb, however it still didnt work. Frustrated, I hit the light and it lit up for a secont, I noticed whenever I struck teh light it lit. I took it apart and have limited the problem to two palces, in the tail cap the spring. I think it may not be putting adequet pressure on the batteries. alternatly I think that the bulb holder (a paice of plastic) may be broken. I tried cleaning the contacts but it had no effect.

has any one ever had this happen to them? can I buy replacement parts?

Monolith

Enlightened
Welcome!

Yes, you can buy replacement parts. Any chance of posting some pictures of the light, spring, and bulb socket?

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
sure heres some pictures:

dsc02471small9ut.jpg

dsc02472small7qt.jpg

dsc02473small3iv.jpg

dsc02474small5jo.jpg

dsc02475small6yh.jpg

hope they're not too big

Monolith

Enlightened
Pictures are fine. But... you're missing part of the flashlight. There is a plastic piece that goes on the bulb end before the bulb goes in. See the top flat plastic part below. It actually has two very small holes that help support the bulb. I suspect you just have a loose bulb connection because this part is missing. It also helps to hold the black cylinder in the battery tube so that it doesn't fall out when you change batteries.

Link To Pictue

Hotlinked image changed to a link - Empath

Last edited:

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
ps I have that, I just didnt photgraph it, didnt think it was that important.

heres a pic

dsc02476small3pj.jpg

dsc02477small4ym.jpg

Monolith

Enlightened
Then its most likely the metal strips in the bulb holes are too loose. Try spreading the bulb pins farther apart to put more pressure on the strips.

If that doesn't work, try taking some fine sandpaper and cleaning the battery contacts, bulb socket strips and the spring.

Can you post a clearer photo of your last photo in the first group of pictures? It looks like you might have some corrosion on the bottom (positive contact) of the black cylinder.

Last edited:

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
no luck with spreading the legs of the Lamp. i think I will have to replace the assembly, the - pin assemble just came out and will no longer seat itself right, also there is visible oxidation that I cant get off. thanks for the help (and the link) but are there any other sites that will stock this part? the site linked has a minimum order of $5 but the lamp and spring only cost $1.80

Ledean

Enlightened
In the second picture the metal strip is bend the wrong way. Take it out and bend it such that the top part of the strip is at 90 degrees and not bend inwards . In other words it should sit flush on the top.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Jerb said:
also there is visible oxidation that I cant get off.
BINGO! :D

Clean all switch contacts thoroughly (inside also). Also, clean the threads on the tailcap (and the corresponding threads on the bottom of the body tube). Dont' forget to clean the top and bottom of the spring also.

Last edited:

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are enough people here who have modded mm's that someone probably has a spare switch assembly laying around. You could ask to see if someone would give/sell one to you.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BJN has the right idea as long as there are some friendly folks. I had a problem like this and someone gave me a whole parts kit for two lights. (wish I could remember who it was, but thanks!)

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
sounds wonderful, if anyone would like to sell me an older assembly feel free to PM me, I can pay via paypal

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've given out a few switch assemblies (not sure if it was you, ABTOMAT) for the cost of postage or free if you can't afford it. Let me check and see if I have any left. If you remind me (via PM) later today, I'd appreciate it.

If somebody else has one handy, go right ahead and contact Jerb, don't wait on me.

Makarov

Enlightened
I got one spare, if no-one nearer Jerb than me(I guess he in the US) got one spare I can throw it in the mail, but it'll be at least a week or maybe two before he gets it.

I'll check in tomorrow, it's almost midnight here and I'm off to bed.

Jerb

Newly Enlightened
sorry for that guys, I was out most of the day then spent most of my time running errands after I got out from school.

I am located in the US

also, green LED i sent a PM your way :sssh: (<thats an awesome emoticon)

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed his bulb is totally cooked? It's supposed to be clear. That one has sprung a leak, and all the magic gas inside is gone. You'll never get any kind of light out of that bulb.

Someone suggested trying to "gently spread the legs of the lamp". While I'm usually a big fan of gently spreading legs, it's a bad idea for flashlight lamps. These bulbs are so tiny, any sideways force applied to the legs is guaranteed to crack the glass envelope. The end result is that all the magic gas leaks out again. The first instant you apply power, the filament incinerates in its newly found oxygen rich atmosphere, and you get that beautiful silverly black look to the bulb again.

Get a new bulb. You may still have other problems with this Mag, but it'll be hard to figure out with a dead bulb. Also get yourself a multimeter. You should have about three volts at the socket terminals when the batteries are loaded and the head is off.